Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: matt ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 09:05PM

http://www.wimp.com/worldmagic/

Kyle Eschen, a fifteen-year-old magician. More cynicism than a room full of journalists! ;oD

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: luminouswatcher ( )
Date: October 09, 2010 02:10AM

I have a longer technical critique, but since this is not the Magic Cafe I'll skip it. His script and character are delightful, and he should find a place on the magic convention circuit as well as with regular audiences. His home magic club always does a fine job in mentoring, and from some of the best minds in the business. Good luck Kyle.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: October 09, 2010 04:21AM

luminouswatcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a longer technical critique, but since this
> is not the Magic Cafe I'll skip it. His script
> and character are delightful, and he should find a
> place on the magic convention circuit as well as
> with regular audiences. His home magic club always
> does a fine job in mentoring, and from some of the
> best minds in the business. Good luck Kyle.

Oh, go on! ;o))

Date: October 09, 2010 11:16AM

For example, he is still telegraphing the point of indication with the D.T. work. You don't see this particular problem as much anymore because people don't rehearse in front of mirrors, they use video tape. But this is contest adjudication level stuff that only matters within the magic community, the average audience member won't notice a thing.

There are other things, like his use of language and timing in his script, that are top notch. I think Max Maven and Eugene Berger would be please too. So much more entertaining than seeing another Channing Pollock or Lance Burton wannabe copy.

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: October 09, 2010 04:50AM

Kyle has a great dead-pan delivery.

I hope he does well in the future.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: October 09, 2010 10:20AM

Reminds me of another young boy of 14 who practiced magic.

Only Kyle was WAY better.

Date: October 09, 2010 12:02PM

I don't know, the use of the hat and the stone while dictating the BofM was a pretty subtle yet sophisticated bit of conjuring. In fact, as much as I hate to admit it, it falls in the "Kicks Ass Cool" category.

The use of these demonstrations, proving miraculous involvement during the translation process is ingenious, and is the equivalent to seeding a bust gold mine to help you sell the claim. You can fool respected third parties into helping you sell your con job.

One of the most interesting things about being a magician is having people tell you the thing they just loved that you did the last time they saw you perform. Almost every time, they remember something that is more grand and exciting than what actually happened. It is all part of the game, to manipulate what people see, in such a way it controls what they thought they saw, and also formulates how they remember it when they recall the experience. You just smile and take credit for what they remember.

I have a friend that was doing a show at a county fair. He had a spectator put his initials on a coin with a permanent marker, and it disappeared and reappeared across the stage in a gum ball machine. "Is that your coin?" "No" "What? Look again, are you sure" "No it is not" "OK, thanks -- moving on". He later ran into the fellow and asked him about it because it was in fact his coin and his initials. "I am a judge and an attorney, and will not be made a fool of. It is impossible for a coin to appear in another place, and you did not fool me in another way, so it must be a different coin." "Aaaah Huuhah. ... OK, thanks ... bye." What else can you say?

When your view of your self, and your view of the world provides a picture of how things are, and you are presented with a contrasting development, magic is created in your mind. If it hits too close to home, your fight/flight response takes over and you get defensive and self protective, or you embrace the new reality as a miracle. Your mind forces a sane solution to the dilemma and it is part of our self preservation mechanisms.

This is exactly what happens to TBMs when they are faced with contradictions in mormonism. They will even lie at obvious evidence that they missed something in order to further explain and consistently prove their world view is still right--that they are right.

This is why you can not force another person to "see the truth." If you still really believe in magic, when you see it, it deeply changes you. If you don't, you enjoy the experience like you do a play or a movie, but it doesn't cause you to want to shave your head and sell all that you have.

Date: October 09, 2010 11:28AM

One of my favorite lines is: "Would you like me to use white or black magic?"

It is fun to see the facial expression and other body language when I use this line. Especially the eyes. Of course I use neither, but if it helps sell the deal, and creates a truly magical experience for the spectator I am good with anything they want to believe.

Also, I don't usually do magic at work because I prefer doing the paid magic show thing, and I am proud of the magic I achieve in my regular career field too, but every once in awhile I'll do something at lunch when we go out.

One time while still in Austin, I did a couple of card tricks for the gang, and this gal would not have anything to do with me after that. Wouldn't talk, sit next too, or even walk by my office. She was convinced that only the devil himself could help me do such a unnatural thing.

On the one hand, this really hurt my feelings and makes me feel bad because she was a nice person, and interaction with her was always pleasant. On the other hand, I am like: "YES!!!!!!!" I am good enough to invoke religion in some people. <happy dance, happy dance>

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.