Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: June 06, 2014 01:51PM

I'm sure most of you have heard this story, though you might not know that it was first told by George A. Smith almost two decades after it supposedly happened.

A few questions:

1) Does anyone know who this Sister Harris was that supposedly had the dispute with Sister Marsh?

2) Does anyone know how many members were driven from MO? All sources I've been able to find say ~10K, but Smith claims there were 15K.

3) Does anyone know if how many members died due to exposure? Noone is known to have been killed as a result of the order, but some surely died from exposure. Smith claims that "some thousands perished through suffering the exposure consequent on this state of affairs", which is an obvious exaggeration.

4) The details of many early meetings and church courts were well documented. There is lots of evidence to show that Marsh's apostacy and affidavit followed far more serious concerns than milk strippings. Is there ANY evidence that this dispute actually happened?

A Discourse by Elder George A. Smith, Delivered in the Bowery, Great Salt Lake City, April 6, 1856.

"You may think that these small matters amount to but little, but sometimes it happens that out of a small matter grows something exceedingly great. For instance, while the Saints were living in Far West, there were two sisters wishing to make cheese and, neither of them possessing the requisite number of cows, they agreed to exchange milk.

The wife of Thomas B. Marsh, who was then President of the Twelve Apostles, and sister Harris concluded they would exchange milk, in order to make a little larger cheese than they otherwise could. To be sure to have justice done, it was agreed that they should not save the strippings, but that the milk and strippings should all go together. Small matters to talk about here, to be sure, two women's exchanging milk to make cheese.

Mrs. Harris, it appeared, was faithful to the agreement and carried to Mrs. Marsh the milk and strippings, but Mrs. Marsh, wishing to make some extra good cheese, saved a pint of strippings from each cow and sent Mrs. Harris the milk without the strippings.

Finally it leaked out that Mrs. Marsh had saved strippings, and it became a matter to be settled by the Teachers. They began to examine the matter, and it was proved that Mrs. Marsh had saved the strippings, and consequently had wronged Mrs. Harris out of that amount.

An appeal was taken from the Teacher to the Bishop, and a regular Church trial was had. President Marsh did not consider that the Bishop had done him and his lady justice, for they decided that the strippings were wrongfully saved, and that the woman had violated her covenant.

Marsh immediately took an appeal to the High Council, who investigated the question with much patience, and I assure you they were a grave body. Marsh being extremely anxious to maintain the character of his wife, as he was the President of the Twelve Apostles, and a great man in Israel, made a desperate defence, but the High Council finally confirmed the Bishop's decision.

Marsh, not being satisfied, took an appeal to the First Presidency of the Church, and Joseph and his Counsellors had to sit upon the case, and they approved the decision of the High Council.

This little affair, you will observe, kicked up a considerable breeze, and Thomas B. Marsh then declared that he would sustain the character of his wife, even if he had to go to hell for it.

The then President of the Twelve Apostles, the man who should have been the first to do justice and cause reparation to be made for wrong, committed by any member of his family, took that position, and what next? He went before a magistrate and swore that the "Mormons" were hostile towards the State of Missouri.

That affidavit brought from the government of Missouri an exterminating order, which drove some 15,000 Saints from their homes and habitations, and some thousands perished through suffering the exposure consequent on this state of affairs."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: oneflewwest ( )
Date: June 06, 2014 03:27PM

This whole story is what really started me questioning the church. The fact that so many people have lied about this story instead of giving the real details made me call the integrity of the GAs into question.

Posted by: ftw ( )
Date: June 06, 2014 03:34PM

The milk story is one I remember hearing many times in the church. When I started investigating some church claims and came across this story again it hit me hard.

How many times had I wondered how this could happen. How could an apostle let milk strippings be the end of it all. All the judging, conclusions, etc, I had made regarding this man - without ever learning his side of the story. That set me off trying to learn everything I could about every other early church leader who apostatized, figuring there was much more to all of these stories than I was taught.

Posted by: ftw ( )
Date: June 06, 2014 03:38PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_B._Marsh

read the split with smith section.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: June 06, 2014 04:17PM

1) that a couple of women supposedly couldn't settle their own little dispute without going to the men for help. Really? What woman wouldn't just say "Nevermind, this arrangement isn't working for me", and be done with it?

This story reeks of disrespect for women, and was a cover up for the more serious reasons Marsh left the church.

2) I hate how this story is used to minimize reasons people leave the church.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2014 04:19PM by imaworkinonit.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.