Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: deco ( )
Date: May 31, 2014 07:07PM

I was interested in having some roofing done, but they seem like Mormons.

Anyone have any work done by them?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: neolithic ( )
Date: May 31, 2014 07:11PM

No, but curious, is it possible the CK stands for a certain realm Mormons hope to go to after they die?

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: May 31, 2014 07:20PM

I'd hazard that the CK comes from the founders' names being Chad and Cody Kirkham, not any religious reference.

A coworker of mine used them for some roofing work. From what I can recall (and this is second-hand), it was somewhat pricey but well-done.

Not sure how their Mormon-ness would be a factor, though. Roofing is a job where one's political and religious disposition tends to be largely irrelevant.

The parent company is A+ rated by the BBB (see here: http://www.bbb.org/utah/business-reviews/contractors-general/rocky-mountain-builders-supply-in-pleasant-grove-ut-22270234), for whatever that's worth.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 08:43PM

so why does a roofing company have a parent company ?

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: December 23, 2014 11:51PM

SOP for a lot of businesses.

The parent business acts as distributor, bookkeeper, accounting, etc., for the child businesses. If a child business needs a cash infusion, the parent biz can provide it; it then stands as a liability for the parent biz, but one that can earn interest from the child as it's paid back.

For tax and accountancy purposes, many businesses are set up this way.

Date: May 31, 2014 07:19PM

I was thinking about the CK thing.

Not sure as this dude has an earring. Is that permitted in Mormonism, if only one is worn?

http://www.ckbuildersinc.com/about.php

Date: May 31, 2014 07:24PM

I always consider Mormonism when doing business. I do not want to do business with Mormons.

Mormons are trained that lying is okay in the course of business. After they profit from a business deal, they give LDS Inc a portion of that money. I want no part of that, and always try to avoid doing business with them.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 31, 2014 07:55PM

This may sound prejudiced, but there is something to it. The first thing any BIC Mormon learns is how to fake it. I can't tell you how many lectures I received from my father about looking and acting the part of a Mormon. He told me that faking it would lead to belief. A pretend testimony would evolve into an honest faith, etc.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 24, 2014 12:42AM

Not specifically about *this* business, but...

When my mom divorced my jack-mormon dad, and then got sealed to a new TBM convert husband, he was seriously gung-ho for being mormon. And he was a lawyer.
Had a successful practice in SoCal. Decided he had to be in "Zion," to be close to the church leaders and closer to the good hunting he loved (of course, all worthy priesthood holders love to blow the heads off of animals in their spare time!). So off to Salt Lake City they moved.

TBM stepdad expected to do very well as a lawyer there, being surrounded by so many fellow priesthood holders with high standards of honesty and such.

After he'd been there a year, I went to visit mom. Asked him how his business was going...
"Oh, I have lots of clients, mostly LDS business owners," he says.
"That's good, then it's going well!" I say.
"Well...no. Nobody ever pays me. I do their work for them, expecting them as good mormons to honor their debts -- but almost none of them pay. They make up excuses, they avoid me when I call -- then they walk up to me at church and greet me like I'm their best friend, and I don't feel comfortable asking them to pay up at Sacrament Meeting. So I'm not making any money."

He was very disillusioned by the reality of "mormon business" in Utah. A few years later he moved again (to Montana), saying he'd never live in Utah again, too full of hypocrites and cheats. :)

Posted by: Cnr ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 08:41PM

Wow. First of all religious affiliation has nothing to do with the field of roofing. Second, the CK in CK Builders stands for Chad Kirkham. And third according to their tax records none of the funds earned by CK Builders is turned over to any religious organization. If you choose to do business with their company, one would hope you would choose to do so because of the excellent customer service they provide to their customers as well as the superior products they install.

Date: December 20, 2014 08:49PM

Looks like someone googled their business name.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2014 08:51PM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: HappyandFree ( )
Date: December 11, 2015 09:33PM

:D

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: December 23, 2014 11:43PM

First of all doing business with people of a certain religious belief is key to determining how you will be treated as a customer as noted by several posts above.

Secondly, if you pay a business for services, the profits after expenses is increase for the business owner and a portion of that increase is extorted by his religion.

Facts, Jack.

Posted by: scmormon ( )
Date: December 24, 2014 05:51AM

Back in 1983 when my then TBM wife, now ex, and I were in the market to build a home I was told by her that we needed a good contractor. So by the end of the day she had someone in mind. I had talked to a couple of general contractors, but she had someone already in mind. One of the stake president's close to where we lived was a General Contractor and even though I had some that could have done a better job she got what she wanted in the end.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2014 05:51AM by scmormon.

Posted by: Ern ( )
Date: December 23, 2014 10:55PM

I can tell you that ck builders has no customer service

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: December 24, 2014 12:52AM

This reminds me of something that happened when I had a new roof put on my house in SLC years ago. I hired a company called Father and Son Roofing Inc.

A guy (alone) came and measured etc. and then left. He came back to do the work and was there for a few days (alone) working steadily on the roof and doing a good job as far as I could tell. But, I kept wondering where the father was. This guy was around 30 years old so I figured he was the son.
This continued for another day or so. Finally I decided to ask him where his father was.

He acted kind of odd when I asked about it. He said "What do you mean?" I said "Where is your father of Father and Son Roofing?" HE said that the father was Heavenly Father. YES this is a true story. He did a good job BTW.

Posted by: PeacePrincess ( )
Date: December 11, 2015 08:25PM

So I suppose the son is Jesus?

Posted by: mikemgc ( )
Date: December 24, 2014 03:44AM

As a couple of (what I would call wise) posters above have said, "what does it matter? I mean you have every right to do business with whomever you want but isn't the paramount thing that they do a great job at a reasonable price? Who cares what their beliefs are? Well, except for that one catch...they pay tithing...lol. Still, that's their dealyo.

Posted by: bishop Rick ( )
Date: December 24, 2014 06:21AM

But when they pay tithing, they aggrandize a hostile and dishonest religious cult. Do you want to aid and abet that?

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 24, 2014 06:17AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.