Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: May 21, 2014 04:44PM

stance?

Do they feel as strongly as the church? Are they embarrassed by the church? Do they even care or are aware of the church's anti-gay politics and beliefs?

I'm hoping it will be like the 1970's when many younger Mormons were embarrassed by the racist stance of the church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Delta ( )
Date: May 21, 2014 05:19PM

I'm in the low side of the YSA age group, so my LDS 'friends' range from 16-20.

Honestly, the majority of them don't care. And by don't care, I mean they aren't outwardly homophobic. They don't mind one way or another if somebody is homosexual. In fact, a few have mentioned that they hope the church can change its standpoint on homosexuality and encourage LGBT people to join and have LGBT relationships within the church. Note that none of them agree LGBT members should have the right to an LDS temple marriage, but they are in agreement that it's none of the church's business to dub it illegal or force openly gay members into chastity.

However, a few elements should be considered with this viewpoint- I am in Canada and the majority of Canadians hold this viewpoint of 'It's none of our business'.

Even the ultra TBM parents seem to have lost the ability to force their children into homophobia here. One exceptionally homophobic mother is constantly talking about 'the gays', and her sons are nothing but immune to her hate speech. They simply don't care one way or another.

The general trend I'm picking up is that youth don't care or want change, but this is in my area, and probably not an accurate portion of reality.

Posted by: Solitary Loner ( )
Date: May 21, 2014 05:25PM

I was in Mutual, and then YSA, from 1988, when I was 12, until late 2000, a short while before I turned 25. I hated the homophobia. It made me sick! But then again, I had never been a TBM. Prop 22, from Autumn 2000 and the cult's backing of it, was the last straw for me. I had put up and put up with their insanity my entire life, and I couldn't take any more of it.

Posted by: goojabee ( )
Date: May 21, 2014 05:34PM

I have a bit of a finger on pulse of the youth LDS bloggers. and definitely few are holding a hard line on this issue as the presidency does. Even the staunchest adherents give a conciliatory tone as they spout the one women one man phrase as if it is embarrassing to them. You can see them trying so hard to figure out how they can mesh this teaching with the rest of the doctrine and feel comfortable with it. Or they stay as far away from the subject as they can.
Millennials are not sucking it in like the church would like and more of the LDS youth are saying SSM is okay with them because they know someone or are themselves and they are struggling with everything being true except SSM teachings. Feminism is starting to have the same kind of stirring feelings, not quit as loud yet.
So yes this is having a huge effect on the youth (Teens to early 20's).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2014 05:35PM by goojabee.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.