Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 21, 2014 02:04PM

One of the things I recognized, early on, when I changed my mind and decided to leave the LDS Church is the importance of keeping the many, many relationships with family and friends that were still members with strong faith.

It has always been important to me to treat others the way I want to be treated. That meant that I refrained from using terms or words that were objectionable to people of any faith.

Because LDS members often take the position of betrayal and non-acceptance, when a loved one or friend leaves the LDS Church and assume the worse, it has worked best, in my experience to continue to treat all members equally with the same unconditional love.

Specifically that meant that I didn't say or do things to "turn them off" as I still wanted to maintain reasonable relationships and enjoy their friendships as I had in the past. I had no intention of losing anything that I had built and enjoyed in the past over religion.

That meant that I treated everyone with respect, honored their right to their religious choices as I wanted mine respected, therefore,I refrained from using words like: cult, abusive, liars, selfish, hoax, fraud, any vulgarity, and any number of other words that I would have considered unacceptable, mocking,hateful, rude, and unnecessary when I was a member.

I also use respectful words/ terms when explaining why I left the LDS Church. I want to eliminate any bitterness, ugliness, negative attitudes that can spill over just be thinking in those terms. I can explain that I left because I changed my mind and not step on sensitive toes that have a hard time dealing with people who are no longer supportive of them.

It's my view, that, as the saying goes: :You catch more flies with honey", and that necessitates that I treat people with an attitude of decency, and civility.

I have not been 100% perfect in this plan, I have been caught off guard, been in a nasty mood at times,spouted off,(mostly early on), but for the most part, I have found that an attitude of gratitude and kindness and just being nice has brought about the most productive results.

I have no need to be bitter, nasty, negative, and tear other people down or tear down what they hold dear. I don't want that done to me, so I certainly won't do that to anyone else!

At this point, in my evolutionary process from what I call The Exit Process from Mormonism or Leaving My Tribe, I have found a comfortable place as an objective observer.

Ahhh..how lovely to live in peace and harmony and enjoy life. Life is so short. I recognize that every day is a gift and can change at anytime. The greatest joy, and yes, finding my bliss, is that ability to be forgiving, and letting go of what I can't control. It means I don't take anything personally (as much as possible) and know what is about me and what is about someone else.

Such freedom!

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.