Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 21, 2014 01:54PM

I had to laugh at the first myth. This is only a Mormon plague. I had to laugh at the third myth because if polygamy is part of God's plan, did God magically change modern people to not have inclinations which would help polygamy?

But really, are the telling implications of these "myths" still perpetuated today in Mormonism?

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1975/01/warning-signs-of-infidelity?lang=eng
"The first myth says, “If I have my wedding in the temple, the marriage will take care of itself.” "

If a man will dress in a baker's hat and apron for his future wife without any desire or inclination to bake anything (except babies in her oven) then by golly, it is magically going to make it!

"The second myth says, “If the marriage is not successful, I should start over."

"The third myth says, “Loving my spouse does not preclude the possibility of becoming involved with anyone else.” "

I think that telling implications drawn from these myths are.

1. If you are married in the temple your marriage has more staying power than non-temple marriages.

2. Stay married no matter what.

3. Somehow being righteous in a marriage means no romantic feelings for anyone else (unless it is a fictional character in a steamy romance novel.)

And I think all of these are still alive and kicking and a part of Mormonism today - almost 40 years since this article was written.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.