Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: May 20, 2014 09:55PM

Since I've been out, I've had a few drinks here and there. I guess alcohol is just not having the same effect on me as it does others.

I mostly feel ever so slightly dizzy/spinny (after a mixed drink). I don't particularly feel relaxed or happy, just slightly spinny, like if I look over to the right the room just ever so slightly sort of moves too.

I've tried mixed drinks and those malt drinks (mikes hard lemonade - don't laugh). I can't stand beer.

Any insight? At this point, I'm ready to write off alcohol. If I'm not enjoying it I don't want to shell out for it, it's expensive!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: whywait ( )
Date: May 20, 2014 10:00PM

If you don't enjoy it, don't consume it.

Booze isn't for everyone. If you are drinking it to be some sort of magic elixir to make you happy, you are going to be disappointed.

Date: May 20, 2014 10:07PM

I didn't think it was a magic elixir, but I did think it would make me feel a bit relaxed at least. I am about ready to write if off, but not until I'd given it a fair try.

Tried a rum and coke the other night. Just made me feel just a tad dizzy. I was thinking I paid $7 to feel like this? Not worth it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2014 10:07PM by twistedsister.

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: May 20, 2014 10:31PM

As mentioned, there's no reason that anyone needs to drink alcohol. But many (me included) do enjoy it. The key for a novice is serious moderation. Like just a few sips. Different people have widely differing tolerances for alcoholic beverages, and the most important thing (after do not drink and drive, especially if you don't know how alcohol will affect you) is to learn not to exceed your personal limits.

The second most important thing is to *never* drink on an empty stomach, and always eat something with your drink.

I can only drink about an eighth of a cup of lower-alcohol things like wine and beer without feeling bad. And much less than that of hard liquor. I do enjoy it, pretty much everything. But the enjoyment turns to misery fast when I try to take too much.

I have a friend (who has been drinking alcoholic beverages all of her 30+ years of adult life) who can get woozy after one sip of some things.

So, if you want to give it a try, start over with just a few sips of something. Either share a larger drink with a friend, or just buy something in a resealable bottle so that you don't waste any.

Most things are an acquired taste, so give yourself a few chances. And if it seems like too much trouble for the amount (if any) of pleasure you get, that's just fine. There are lots of other things to drink.

Posted by: En Sabah Nur ( )
Date: May 20, 2014 10:23PM

Yeah, there's no edict that says you HAVE to enjoy alcohol. It may not be for you.

I am a big fan of wine, mixed drinks and vodka on ice. I will shoot tequila all night long. I love to get my booze on.

My wife? Not so much. She has the same complaint: it makes her dizzy (and a couple drinks in a little ditzy, but she kind of loves that on the rare occasion).

Make sure you don't drink on an empty stomach, and always be mindful to stay hydrated; those two things can alleviate some of the negative side effects. And as someone new to it, drink slowly, because too much at once can hit you quite hard when your body begins to metabolize the alcohol.

For my wife, fruity cocktails, mojitos and sweet wines are her thing. If you want to keep trying, that may be the route for you.

But again, drinking is not a requirement for anyone. Do not feel obligated to drink.

Posted by: Calico ( )
Date: May 20, 2014 10:26PM

You don't have to like alcohol, it can be an acquired taste, but if you want to give it another shot you might try wine.

I am not much for mixed drinks, can be too harsh for me as well. But I do like a wine before/with dinner. Start with a sweet or/light wine at first, dryer ones take a while to get used to.

Try having a Lambrusco or Chianti with spaghetti dinner or a meat dish. Or if you are having chicken or fish, try a riesling or sauvignon blanc. Since you are new to drinking, 1 glass, 2 at most would be enough. You don't want to overdo it.

Posted by: summer ( )

It sounds like it hits you rather hard and quickly. Perhaps try half a glass of wine with some food.

Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )

Are you drinking alone? If so, try hanging out with some friends and have one or two. That may make all the difference for you.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 20, 2014 10:42PM

I feel gypped when it comes to alcohol too.

All it ever does is make me feel like I need to go to sleep. There are no good feelings or behavior changes- only a tired feeling that frankly I prefer to avoid.

I've tried a few types. Even mixed with food or sugar or caffeine drinks I still just want to sleep. It doesn't taste all that great. I just don't get the hype about it.

I might have a small drink in social situations so I don't seem weird (well, as weird), but I don't have any interest in it really. I wish it would give me a buzz or something. So many people look like they are enjoying it.

Oh well.

Date: May 20, 2014 10:45PM

Exactly, so many people seem to enjoy it. Not getting this buzz thing everyone is talking about. Unless being dizzy is being buzzed, then no thank you haha.

Date: May 20, 2014 10:43PM

Thanks everyone. No, I don't drink alone, I drink with dh or with friends. I also don't feel like I have to drink, I just wanted to try it.

I take forever to sip down a drink, and I always have food with drinks. A hard lemonade doesn't do anything for me at all, in fact I've been thinking might as well drink regular lemonade, it's cheaper. The most I've ever drank was one mixed drink.

I think I will try wine next.

Eta - I don't think I'm drinking too quickly. I can still talk and walk just fine after nursing a drink. It's just that the only feeling I've ever had was a spinny feeling, so I wondered if there was something I'm missing. Dh says I should drink more haha.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2014 10:53PM by twistedsister.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 20, 2014 10:48PM

Some mixed drinks hit me like a sledgehammer -- martinis and Manhattans in particular. But I can drink a Margarita or daiquiri with no problem.

Date: May 20, 2014 10:57PM

Wrong place

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2014 10:58PM by twistedsister.

Date: May 20, 2014 11:05PM

Not sure how old you are, but I drink about 1/4 of the amount I drank in my younger years. I just don't like how it makes me feel as much either, for what it's worth.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: May 20, 2014 10:49PM

It takes a while to train your palate to appreciate alcohol, but once you do, you really start liking it. Don't drink to get drunk, or buzzed, drink to enjoy. I' start off with wine, and with wine I would start off with White Zinfandels (very sweet, almost like a candy wine) and work my way up to Merlots. Once you find you can handle merlots, everything else falls into place.

Try to sip only a small amount of the wine at a time, and play with it in your mouth. Let it move across your tongue, and try to experience all the different flavors that this causes.

If you are getting dizzy, you are in the buzzed stage, or possibly drunk. The relaxing stage of alcohol is actually before this stage. It doesn't take much for most people, even less for novice drinkers.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: May 20, 2014 10:52PM

Hard alcohol does the same thing to me. I very seldom drink it because of that.

Wine gives me that relaxed feeling. I never drink it without also eating. It's a very nice relaxing feeling in the evening.

My husband is a more experienced drinker than I am. He has seldom drank wine. He was surprised how relaxed he felt after a glass of wine and some good food. I think he's beginning to lean that way.

Getting involved in wine tasting with food is a very interesting hobby. It's amazing how food can change the taste of wine. It's fun to try different pairings.

Try a sip of a good red wine blend(at least $20) with a bit of goat cheese and a bite of grilled steak.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2014 10:55PM by madalice.

Date: May 20, 2014 10:58PM

Wine it is then!

Embarrassed to admit I've never had wine in my life. Will it keep in the fridge? At just a glass a night, one bottle is going to last a long time.

Date: May 20, 2014 11:18PM

Wine doesn't store well once opened, an add'l day tops without gadgets to pull the air out of the bottle. I would recommend finding some half bottles to start if possible. Or get those friends over and order them to drink wine with you! ;)

Posted by: armtothetriangle ( )
Date: May 20, 2014 11:40PM

Spatleses are German white wines, usually sweet and delicious. Typically more expensive than domestic whites. Ausleses are from even later crops than Spatleses, more expensive and very aromatic. Difficult to get a bad bottle of Auslese.

You'll need a cork screw and a wine stopper. As a generality stay away from any wine with a screw top. Stoppered and store in the refrigerator on its side, an opened bottle of decent wine is good for a week or two.

Also as a generality whites are best sipped chilled whereas reds are better at room temp. There are many great domestic reds, also Aussie and Chilean red wines. Open a bottle of red, pour some into a glass or glasses and let it set, ie "breathe" for at least half an hour. Breathing allows some of the tannins to oxidize and takes off some of the bitter edge.

If you don't like alcohol then don't drink. Drinking doesn't make you an exmormon. If you feel selfconscious in social settings where others are drinking order a coke with a lime or pineapple juice. Looks like a mixed drink. It's better though if you don't like alcohol to just say it isn't for you.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: May 21, 2014 12:00AM

Once you open it, its yours.
White wine needs to be cold.
Red wine about room temp.

I like to go to italian restaurant and have a glass of their house red with dinner. It's a good way to try different ones without buying a whole bottle.

Wine tastings are really fun. Be SURE to take cab, or have a designated driver. DUI's are NOT something you want to deal with. Not to mention what could happen if you're drinking and driving.

DH and I sometimes stay in a hotel and get a bottle of good wine, or spend the evening at a wine tasting. It's a good marriage booster.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2014 12:00AM by madalice.

Posted by: Particles of Faith ( )
Date: May 20, 2014 10:53PM

I generally prefer wines--white more than red as reds tend to give me migraines. I like sparkling wines and champagne very much.

I generally don't care for beer but I found one ale I like.

As far as mixed drinks go I enjoy a Mojito or a Margarita.

But, usually I prefer non-alcoholic beverages.

Posted by: b0yd ( )
Date: May 20, 2014 10:56PM

I cant do wine or beer.

Sweet cidars, and Sambucca.

Keep trying where it is available

But we don't have to of course.

Posted by: No judgment in the room ( )
Date: May 20, 2014 10:59PM

Try Costco's Golden Margarita mix with the tequila already in it. It is really good- especially compared to other pre-mixed margarita blends and is very reasonably priced. It is my fav.

Posted by: Emmabiteback ( )
Date: May 20, 2014 11:35PM

What? Costco has pre-mixed margaritas..sold in bulk? We don't get that surplus here in Utah. I love Costco, but wish we had their golden margaritas too..

Posted by: An observer ( )
Date: May 20, 2014 11:16PM

I had one summer when I was drinking a fair amount on weekends, and got pretty good results (too shy to dance in public unless I have something to lower my inhibitions). But for the most part, it just doesn't do it for me. I don't like the way it makes me feel, and I don't like the way it tastes. The only good thing it did was relieve some of my chronic pain, but I still don't like the taste of any alcoholic drink enough to use it regularly for that purpose.

It's okay if you find you just don't like to drink. You *never* have to, even if you're out with people who are drinking, and no one should ever pressure you or question your choice. Many people don't drink, for many reasons other than religious ones. I have a friend in recovery who is pretty open with people about why she doesn't drink, but occasionally there is a situation where she doesn't feel comfortable revealing that about herself, so I've suggested that she tell people it's a way of watching calories. She really did get fat while still drinking and when she quit, the pounds just fell off -- beer & wine are full of empty calories. If someone is rude enough to question your beverage choice, you could always say something vague about watching your weight or managing your blood sugar, and that should be enough for them.

Posted by: An observer ( )
Date: May 20, 2014 11:51PM

and I know people will laugh -- but when I do want a drink, I usually get some Woodchuck hard cider. I like the original version best, but there are several varieties. I might feel that way once every year or two, and it's a mild drink that I can sip slowly and it does provide some pain relief. Like a lot of alcoholic drinks, it contains phytoestrogens that help manage a chronic health problem I have (might also help with symptoms of perimenopause, although I haven't tried it for that).

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 20, 2014 11:17PM

That is what I wanted to try it for. Friends and boyfriend always say "it took the edge off." Me, I go to sleep.

I don't even try anymore. I gave up.

I have several alcoholics in my family and the whole damn family thought I'd be a raging alcoholic. Nope.

Posted by: Recovered Molly Mo ( )
Date: May 20, 2014 11:30PM

It's not a mandetory part of adulthood/Non Mormon life.

If you have been without all your life, you have little to no tolerance for it. You are fine, you did not do anything wrong.

Stop if you do not enjoy it. People have different tastes in adult beverages. Some only drink beer, some only wine.
Some people can be drinkers their whole life, and stop enjoying it.

Booze is chemistry. If it does not mix with yours, it is ok to stop and have regular lemonade:)
RMM

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: May 21, 2014 12:02AM

You might have to go with more in order to feel something beyond dizzy, but probably not worth it. I also find that the biggest effect isn't something that I actively feel, but I converse more easily while I have a drink (even with no buzz or anything).

Now, however, I drink primarily for the flavors, and that it gives something to sip during a long conversation. I love to try different beers and wines especially. I love the taste of whiskey, and I love to see what weird flavors can come in a mixed drink.

As others said, not for everyone, just give up on it if you aren't getting anything out of it.

Date: May 21, 2014 12:04AM

Yeah, if wine doesn't do it for me I probably won't continue drinking. I just wanted to see what the fuss is all about. It would be nice to have that relaxed, edge taken off feeling so many people report.

Being the one person not drinking in a social situation doesn't bother me the least. If asked, I'd just say I don't like alcohol.

Posted by: dodgeawrench ( )
Date: May 21, 2014 02:04AM

Try whine before you try beer. Maybe a Reisling or a Moscato. This will help you acquire a taste for beer. Start with Corona Extra. Alcohol depends on your own tastes. I like Vodka and don't mind Whiskey, I like to mix Vodka with tonic and 2 limes. Whiskey I like with diet coke and 2 limes. It all depends on your taste.

Posted by: corwin ( )
Date: May 21, 2014 01:33PM

I have the same "problem". With moderate drinking, I get a little dizzy but not "buzzed" or happy. It's kind of disappointing.

I did try going a little beyond moderate once, and it did make me giggly but not clearly euphoric. Maybe a tiny bit, not really worth it.

I guess not everyone's brains are wired to get buzzed. :(

On the bright side, I love the different tastes, so it's still fun to drink for the sake of flavor rather than the effect.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.