Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: May 20, 2014 06:46PM

The number of convert baptisms makes no sense to me. I realize TSCC claims less than 400,000 baptisms but lets up the number to 400,000 convert baptisms so my math is easy to use for these questions.

Assumptions: 400,000 convert baptisms per year, 80,000 missionaries, 25% of the missionaries are female (might actually be much higher). There are also couple missionaries and service missionaries, etc which might total about 10,000. There are 20,000 female missionaries and 10,000 couple and service missionaries leaving about 50,000 male missionaries to baptize the 400,000.

If we divide the 400,000 (actually less) converts by the 50,000 eager male missionaries but wait, we have to divide the male missionaries by 2 since they are always together which leaves 25,000 sets of elders to do all the baptisms. 400,000 eager converts getting baptized by 25,000 teams of Elders means each Elder team baptizes 16 converts a year. Or each Elder baptizes 8 converts a year or 1 every 6 weeks.

During the 1970's it was quite common for missionaries that were sent to Central America to baptize like 80 people that screwed the math for those that went to missions that had like 1 baptism per Elder for 2 years.

So were are these high baptism Missions? I sure do not see or believe Missionaries in the US or elsewhere are baptizing 8 converts each per year. Some would be doing 16 and some 4 but I doubt it. Maybe 1 or 2 per year.

I used to do baptisms for dead folks at the Temple. One kid 30 baptisms. Maybe TSCC is counting all their dead dunks so they can keep their numbers high.

Your thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: May 20, 2014 07:30PM

"Less than 400,000." Could be 100, 10,000, 100,000. All are "less than" 400,000.

We will never get the real truth out of TSCC--don't we know that by now?

Posted by: abinadiburns nli ( )
Date: May 20, 2014 10:00PM

On paper apparently.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: May 20, 2014 10:47PM

Third world countries?

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: May 20, 2014 10:50PM

I'll do my own calculations. Per the SLC Tribune http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57862203-78/missionaries-church-converts-lds.html.csp there were 282,945 "convert baptisms" in 2013 and a missionary force which "swelled" to "more than 83,000." Do they include senior missionaries and service missionaries in those numbers? I could be wrong but I don't THINK they do. So 282,945 baptisms/83,000 mishies x 2 mishies per companionship = 7 baptisms per missionary companionship per year. That's only about one baptism every 60 days.

That doesn't sound like THAT many, especially when you consider the number of man hours put into missionary work. And you have to remember, Mormon missionaries are bottom feeders. They are under pressure to produce numbers and they inevitably target easy pickin's like the vulnerable. You got about 200,000,000 man-hours of high pressure salesmen each year trying to convince ANYONE that will be willing to hear the discussions and get dunked. It should come as no surprise that the church can baptize thousands of the following:

1) homeless people
2) lonely people
3) unbaptized 9 year olds
4) uneducated/poor people
5) part member families
6) boyfriends/girlfriends of members
7) gullible people
8) vulnerable people (family member died, new to a city, lost a job, struggling with drugs, etc.)
9) mentally unstable people
10) immigrants

And just because they dunk the above mentioned, doesn't mean these people are converts in the true sense of the word nor that they will remain an active member of the church.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.