Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: crissykays ( )
Date: May 20, 2014 11:38AM

Hello again all I was just thinking back and wondering if anyone else has had these same feelings? I have found out the lies the LDS has been teaching for so many years but til then I was a believer. I didn't though ever receive that burning in the bosom feeling and always thought I was strange. Because I still have faith in God and Jesus I do a lot of praying and have been touched by many different experiences in life. But as LDS althrough my growing up years never had it and would fake it at girls camp the crying yada yada or try really hard to just to see if I could get it but it never came. I also had other friends who were the same only a few would admit it though.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: funeral taters ( )
Date: May 20, 2014 12:36PM

I never, ever, ever, ever, EVER, felt any kind of super speshul warm feelings in my bosom, heard a still small voice, or felt the Mormon Spirit in any way shape or form. I served a mission honorably, prayed fasted, read the BOM countless times, confessed and repented of all my sins living a very chaste and moral life for many years. Guess what. I never felt any spiritual confirmations or got any answers to my prayers that the church was anything more than a steaming pile of hogsh!t. TBMs say that you cannot determine whether or not the church is true using reasoning and logic. Well, I've determined that the church is untrue by using reasoning, as well as putting Moroni's promise to the test and having it fail numerous times for years. Either the church isn't true, or I'm just a child of hell and God hates me and doesn't want me to know his "truth".

Posted by: Scott Carles ( )
Date: May 20, 2014 03:04PM

48 years in the church, and my experiences match FT's to a T. I spent *years* trying to get that feeling/confirmation/witness doing everything within my power. I tried getting an intellectual witness instead by devouring apologist material. Obviously that didn't work either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2014 03:05PM by Scott Carles.

Posted by: Lasvegasrichard ( )
Date: May 21, 2014 12:11AM

A ' steaming pile of hogsh t ' ? Hilarious and priceless . Thanks !

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 20, 2014 02:55PM

I get more from a breath of fresh air. Fresh air is Goddess. Fresh air is true. I want more fresh air!

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: May 20, 2014 03:17PM

I had the sooper spayshul spirchul feelings a lot. And you didn't. It is a random event, you didn't win the Mormon holy ghost "lottery". Are you weird? No. We are all different. If it were real, I would be concerned, but it really is quite meaningless in the end of the day. I have known plenty of people who have had it and plenty who never had it.

Just randomness, like Mormonism and Mormon god, a noisy signal that believers try and construe into some form of a pattern.

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: May 20, 2014 03:18PM

Only once had this tangible ward feeling during the very first discussion I taught on my mission to a 'golden' young married couple. It was a strange but very pleasant experience and at the time I was sure it was the spirit testifying that these folk would get baptised.

The next week they dropped us and this definitely created some cog dis. That I never again had a repeat of this feeling despite my best efforts and level of obedience was also a minor gripe.

Interestingly, the only other time I've felt a more tangible feeling of peace/warmth beyond the usual good feelings anyone gets, was also on my mission when we were trying to teach some Christians and they made us watch one of their videos in exchange for teaching them. I felt a really peculiar but somewhat pleasant feeling as I watched some born again propaganda, almost a bit like being high / buzzed. This was a pretty big concern for me but I parked it on the shelf and didn't ever tell anyone else.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 21, 2014 12:03AM

Zero special feelings here too...I was only in close proximity to one GA, Eldon Tanner....at my aunt's (his SIL) funeral where he spoke....and I met him. Nothing.

Ron Burr

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 21, 2014 12:15AM

but never in the bosom.

Posted by: westerly62 ( )
Date: May 21, 2014 12:36AM

No burning in the bosom for me either despite years of seeking it. The only significant spiritual witness that I ever got was to the contrary, the first time I went through the temple. During the whole thing and for several days later, I had the overwhelming "spiritual" impression that it was absolutely evil.

Posted by: Mnemonic ( )
Date: May 21, 2014 01:12AM

I had burning in the bosom but my doctor gave me a prescription for Zantac and it went away. I felt much better after that. And not once did I confuse that feeling for god talking to me.

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: May 21, 2014 02:14AM

I didn't have the burning in the bosom feeling either. I tried and tried and it didn't happen. I finally decided on a deadline and if I didn't receive some kind of special feeling by then, I was done. I didn't and stopped going. Later I found out about all the inconsistencies and downright lies. There is no way I could ever believe in it now, even if I wanted to. I don't want to.

Posted by: Mr. Happy ( )
Date: May 21, 2014 02:15AM

Never felt a burning or anything else. NEVER!!

The closest I ever came to feeling or hearing anything was during my first time through the temple. While I was slitting my throat and Pay Lay Ale-ing, it seemed like something was whispering, "You ARE in a cult" over and over again in my head.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.