Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: fudley ( )
Date: May 20, 2014 08:27AM

I've been finding it more and more lately and used to great effect in the OW discussion document. I certainly got a chuckle out of that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: May 20, 2014 08:59AM

In the UK it's a less offensive curse word but most mormons wouldn't think of using it and would simply say 'BS' instead.

That being said, I attended a church social event recently and was quite surprised by some of the language used by 20-30'ish year old TBMs. No really bad curse words, but lots of 'crap', 'pissed' and other words that you wouldn't have heard used a few years ago in the UK, especially in front of the youth.

So maybe times are changing? Maybe it's further evidence of a frustrated class of mormons who are desperately trying to be a little more 'in the world'.

On a different but related topic, I've also noticed a few TBMs of this age category trying to push the boundaries a little more. I've heard of a few holding parties where they drink non-alcoholic beer, or get a mild high using natural stimulants that have been imported from overseas. I was even invited to one such parties but politely declined - watching a bunch of TBMs pretend how bad they are by getting a very mild buzz is not my idea of a fun evening.

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: May 21, 2014 12:25AM

I always thought the word bullocks was pretty offensive in the UK? Guess I was wrong? What does it mean, is it equivalent to bullsh-t? How about the F-bomb? I've heard it's not such a big deal over there.

As far as crap and pissed among TBMs - it depends on the setting. Younger people hanging out with their friends, the crap is going to fly. Hanging out with grandma and grandpa? Not so much. Hanging out with an especially pious TBM. Nope, no crapping and pissing there either. Crap and piss aren't real swear words over here-they're a few steps below, but even so, most people wouldn't use them in front of older TBMs.

Oh, one more thing. I thought in the UK "pissed" means drunk? Am I wrong?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2014 12:27AM by twistedsister.

Posted by: Elnephi ( )
Date: May 20, 2014 09:39AM

The old world spelling of bollocks which means bull balls spelled backwards is Kolob. It was a big joke to Joseph and the other Innercircle guys they were just seeing what the stupid early Mormon adherents would believe. I'm sure those boys had a good time laughing all the way to the bank

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 20, 2014 09:51AM

Last time I checked, the UK was in the Old World. Or has it been moved? OMG, is this the New World Order my relatives have been yammering about?

Try "Old English". Joke will work better.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 21, 2014 12:09AM

I love UK pseudo and real cursing. They take it to another level. I would be sad if the Mormons adopted "Bollocks". Another lamea$$ move.

Ron Burr

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 21, 2014 12:11AM

One of the funniest things Joseph Smith Jr did was name the place (star or planet- he didn't seem to know the difference): KOLOB !!

And since spelling was not standardized much in those days, what does it spell backwards? You got it. Bolok.. or bollock!!

British English says that means: testicales! Which Joseph Smith Jr surely would have known!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2014 12:12AM by SusieQ#1.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.