Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: glibberish ( )
Date: May 13, 2014 03:01AM

saying you were attending the YSA branch and then just not going? This was how I managed to make it through summers back home from university without causing wars, rumors of wars, wailing and gnashing of teeth. YSA was at a different time in a different building, and despite my fears nobody ever actually checked to see whether I was going. I spent my Sunday afternoons drinking coffee and chatting with friends instead.

(Now that I'm getting older, I'm learning that as Mormons we're trained to be very passive-aggressive in the way we approach conflict; wondering how much this is true for other people)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2014 03:02AM by glibberish.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sunnynomo ( )
Date: May 13, 2014 12:20PM

Not exactly the same, but some friends in high school would tell M&D they were going to Saturday vigil Mass (Catholic, service the evening before that fulfills Sunday obligation). They would show up after Mass was over, grab a bulletin, go out for the evening, and leave the bulletin on the kitchen counter and sleep in on Sunday.

Posted by: msp ( )
Date: May 13, 2014 12:40PM

I'm doing something very similar, although it started almost by accident. I attended a university in another province and had my records sent to the ysa there. I discovered the truth about tscc and ended up transferring back home for the next year of school, but never had my membership records moved back. So now, everyone in my home family and ysa ward thinks I'm out of the province and the other ysa ward has no clue who I am anymore and they don't try to contact me.
Unplanned, but it sure turned out well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2014 12:41PM by msp.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: May 14, 2014 10:41AM

Sixteen year-old Ziller had concluded that the Book of Mormon, Joseph’s Myth and Mormonism was probably the biggest load of crapola ever.

With this new world-view, he no longer felt it necessary to attend early morning seminary before school.

After two glorious days in a row of sleeping in, Ziller’s parental units made it clear that they felt differently.

Unless Ziller drove himself and his little brother to seminary each morning, his automobile privileges would be revoked and he would have to take the bus to school.

The early morning hours of the next day found Ziller guiding the 1979 Chevy Monte Carlo through the dark suburban streets toward the home of the “cemetery” teacher.

Ziller glanced at the clock on the dash and thought of his non-Mormon girlfriend.

She would be getting up soon to get ready for school.

Her parents would already have left to commute to their jobs in the big city.

Soon she would be stretching and arching her tan taut body across the sheets of her double bed while the alarm teased her awake.

Her long blonde hair would be tossed into a picture perfect mess of bed-head.

Ziller parked under a street lamp outside the seminary teacher’s house.

The baby blue Monte Carlo’s chrome spoke wheels reflected in the home’s large plate glass living room window.

“Little Brother? Ziller has some stuff to do before school instead of going to seminary. You can find a ride to school from here, right?”

“Well, if it is all the same to you, Big Brother, would you mind dropping me off at my friend So-and-so’s house?”

Ziller put the car in gear and pulled back into the street.

He and Little Brother never attended another day of seminary and everyone was happy.

ziller

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: May 14, 2014 11:04AM

Nice story! There is nothing like a little brotherly love for an alibi!

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: May 14, 2014 11:28AM

What did you do with the GF?

Posted by: funeraltaters ( )
Date: May 14, 2014 01:39PM

Maybe you should elaborate on this story a little more, Ziller. I'm seeking further light and knowledge.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 14, 2014 11:31AM

After I turned 16 and got my first car...I used to skip out of Penishood meeting and go cruising....

Ron Burr

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: May 14, 2014 01:42PM

I would ask to drive myself as the rest of the family was leaving, go to SM where they could see me, and then drive home. I got away with that for about 2 years. I was also very "sick"...a LOT

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: May 14, 2014 04:23PM

My senior year of seminary I drove my sister and slept on the couch in the lobby every morning. Then drove her home when it was over.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 14, 2014 08:43PM

Been there, done that. Back in December '66 on my Christmas break home from Ricks, Dad had bought a new '67 Olds.....and I determined it would smoke the tires at will...while Dad and Mom were in SS.

Ron Burr

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: May 14, 2014 04:26PM

I used to have a 79 monte Carlo. Mine was red.

Posted by: darkprincess ( )
Date: May 14, 2014 05:48PM

I always volunteered to take care of someones baby or toddler in the foyer during sacrament meeting. Then I didn't have to sit and be bored.
After getting chastised several time during seminary for asking too many questions I stopped going into the classroom. Silly me though, I still went and studied the manual and read scriptures. Many times I would do this in the chapel (horrors because I was wearing jeans for school not a dress). I would pray in the dark chapel and beg for HF to tell me that the church was true.
Finally I started taking walks during sunday school and reading during YW. For some reason I thought not going would break my mother's heart and I just couldn't do that.

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: May 14, 2014 06:17PM

Sigh. I had to take the long and obedient route out of church. I went to seminary, listened, did the books and actually read the scriptures.

One thing I learned at seminary (or sunday school) was that the church capstone was the book of Mormon. If it was true, so was the church. if it wasn't, the rest was hogwash too.

When I accidently found ex-Mormon sites that told me how the BOM was false (DNA evidence, anyone) after gasping and sputtering for a few minutes I realized that: the BOM is crap and by their own teaching, so was the church.

Growth of HUGE smile

Bye Bye church.

And it all began in seminary.

Posted by: Mark11 ( )
Date: May 15, 2014 12:01AM

Mom would drive me to seminary in the morning. During the latter half of my sophomore year, when she drove away, I'd turn my back to the building and go to school and hang out/read in the library. Eventually she found out and the cat was out of the bag. Haven't believed in that bullshit ever since.

Posted by: roya1b100d ( )
Date: May 15, 2014 05:26AM

Im 22 now and i was 16 when i found it was bull crap because i discovered a thing called the internet ;) but i remember the constant sluffing church, skipping this and that. Almost as if Sunday was another day of school and my real days off from school was only friday night and saturday day

Posted by: postmormon ( )
Date: May 15, 2014 09:24AM

When I made it to YW that is when I started to disassociate. The other girls in YW were rich and clique. I was not. By 14/15 I was sitting on the chairs outside of sacrament, refusing to go in.It was a gradual process. Getting back into church again around 15-16 because of friends (being involved with church socially anyways, not spiritually). Then at 16 I moved in with a friend and her parents who were super strict mormons. They tried to make me go for the first few weeks but after that I flat out refused. Needless to say it didnt work out living with them and I went back to my parents house and continued to refuse going to church. What could they do? It's been over 10 years now.

Posted by: jdawg333 ( )
Date: May 15, 2014 09:40AM

In my ward council days there were several members that we tried to "reach out" to because they were telling their family ward that they came here even though we never saw them. Impressive that you were able to fly inder the radar. The church knows all!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.