Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: May 09, 2014 10:31PM

If the previous thread on this hadn't been closed I'd put it here.

Considering this is at college, isn't this even more stupid than the previous example?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfgzebbNNP8
It's at the very beginning this time.

Hope YBU-I and Rexburg are safe.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 10, 2014 12:17AM

Well, Mormons aren't modest showing up at *other people's* addresses unannounced, so why would they have a clue......

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: May 10, 2014 12:57AM

I think I might have missed what was so stupid about this. I mean the music is corny and everyone was there in a clear show of how ridiculously Mormon they can be and her voice makes her sound like a four year old but those elements are common in a Mormon mission call video. It's stupid but a pretty average level of stupid IMO.

If she's 19 like she looks, she's in for a world of shock going to Panama. I wonder if she'll come home early or stay the course, afraid of disappointing that roomful of admirers. Her letter said she'd be in the MTC on Aug 20th - maybe we should send her some fan mail.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: March 03, 2015 02:02PM

The first thing you see is her address label.

Posted by: Lori C ( )
Date: May 10, 2014 01:07AM

I remember all that "support" pre mission. I could not have ever EVER fathomed the pain and misery I'd feel on a mission. You should NEVER have to feel like you need to leave that kind of support. Everyone needs that kind of support and not just pre mission/pre marriage.

She has a major wake up call coming. Panama? Oh yes, a major wake up call.

Date: March 03, 2015 02:04PM

I feel bad for missionaries. Missions suck. You go because everyone hypes you, and then they are all gone for 2 years. Yes, your ward puts a pin on a map with your name on it, but for 2 years you are on your own.

The mission office is worse than useless. We dreaded hearing from them. They were there to enforce rules, not to give support. If you need a shoulder to cry on, there's your pillow, but don't let your companion hear you.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 10, 2014 03:23AM

I was already in college when I got to go on a summer exchange-student program in Mexico. By then, I had had five years of Spanish, and after about a week, I dared to venture forth without my Spanish/English dictionary.

But still - I hadn't spent much time away from home, to speak of, and it was kind of a culture shock. I did fine and had a good time.

But these Mormon kids - they strike me as SO immature! Have any of them had so much as a sleepover at someone else's HOUSE before, let alone going to a foreign country?

It seems so me that sending someone so immature on a mission is just setting them up to fail. And now that the word is getting around, maybe that's why so many of them are throwing in the towel and coming home early.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: May 10, 2014 04:22AM

But dontcha know????

The TSCC came out a couple years ago and told people they should not have sleep overs for their children!!!

Let's not let them experience something so wierd as sleeping in someone elses house without their own parents down the hall, sharing the line to the bathroom with their friends, sleeping in a strange room with strange blankets and house sounds in the night.......The only place they have ever gone was girls camp with showers!

They didn't even have to dig their own latrine at camp!

How are the kids going to know they can live away from home???

Posted by: ipseego2 ( )
Date: March 03, 2015 08:54AM

Mormon Observer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>>
> How are the kids going to know they can live away
> from home???

Their Church told them?

Posted by: ipseego2 ( )
Date: March 03, 2015 09:07AM

This article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Panama says that the LDS Church claims to have forty thousands members in Panama. That is a large percentage for Latin-America, I think. Catholics and mainline Protestants dominate.

Date: February 26, 2015 08:18PM

It never seems to end, doesn't it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jkyYNQqFIU
(48 second mark)

Having never been to the Phoenix area, is it really safe, particularly from illegal immigrants with sketchy backgrounds (pardon for my ignorance) or just general crazy people?

And why is she going to a place that's already infested with Mormons?

Posted by: tig ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 08:26PM

I'd do her.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 08:47PM

What do they do that was stupid? Show everyone where they live??

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 09:17PM

After all that talk of exotic places …

… and your going to …

PANAMA !!

dum dum da da … (price is right ‘you loose’ music)

She was trained well; she slipped right into feigned ecstatic joy without missing a beat.

When her dad hugged her, I swear he whispered, “Don’t worry honey, I’ll send you with my glock.”

It broughteth a tear to mine eye. (not)

Posted by: Ex-Sis Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 09:40PM

I'm afraid for her safety. She looks and sounds like a ten year old! If she doesn't get accosted, one parasite or germ will do her in.

Does anyone wonder if some of these girls go in order to do this YouTube scene and cry on camera...? It gives me the creeps. Congratulations, you can't speak to your family for years!

Posted by: Skeptical ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 10:02PM

I have the address, will send CES Letter.

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 09:27AM

Jeremy Runnells has asked that people not do things like that. I think we should respect his wishes.

Date: March 02, 2015 08:55PM

Not mail copies directly?
What are his wishes regarding leaving behind copies where missionaries may linger?

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 10:40PM

The same whooping and hugging would happen if she got sent to Panama City, Panama, or Panama City, Florida, or Moscow, Russia, or Moscow, Idaho.

It's an exciting right of passage for Mormon kids in a life that must not be very exciting...and will get less exciting when they go and return from a mission.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 11:50PM

What's so stupid about it?

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: February 27, 2015 12:03AM

Showing where she lives!!

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: February 27, 2015 01:44PM

Oh, missed that. Yeah, "attention all stalkers. I am a cute, obviously naive girl, and here is where you can find me."

Date: February 28, 2015 08:48PM

Not to mention the flaunting of it in front of the camera.....what's the point? Besides, you don't have the priesthood, and never will (unless you get a sex change).

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 27, 2015 01:12PM

Aside from the idiocy of showing your address to the world...

I enjoyed all the "predictions," none of which came true.
And then the wild jubilation of being sent to Panama -- where, of course, there are still desperately poor, gullible people who haven't heard of the mormons, which means she'll probably have some baptisms (who will go inactive shortly after). Woo-hoo!

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 12:20PM

I don't get why they have to create such a big deal about everything these days. My brothers would get the letter in the mail and they'd open it and then told people as they saw fit. There was no big gathering, party, video, etc. It only going to get worse because everyone has to one up the other.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2015 12:21PM by formermollymormon.

Posted by: the investigator ( )
Date: March 03, 2015 01:44PM

Why are they always so happy?
Has no one told them how crap 18 months of their life are going to be knocking on doors trying to convince people who know better than them what a fraud JS is? (once they have heard of him, then googled mormonism of course)

Date: March 03, 2015 02:07PM

When I get my call, I opened it by myself in my dorm room. I told everyone afterwards, but I wanted to be alone when I read it.

I get the church wants to hype missions and these videos are great marketing, but when did your mission call opening become the next wedding reception? It's almost as bad as gender reveal parties. Hint: no one cares about your baby's gender but you!

Posted by: the investigator ( )
Date: March 03, 2015 02:21PM

You get arrested for revealing your gender at most of the parties I have been to.

18 months sure is a harsh price to play for 5 minutes of being the centre of attention. The videos I mean not the flashing.

Date: March 05, 2015 03:23PM

A gender reveal party is like a 2nd baby shower. You throw a big party and then bring out blue or pink cupcakes to tell everyone you are having a boy/girl. They all pretend to care, since you'd already told them you were pregnant months before.

The biggest problem is that few people actually care whether it is a boy or a girl. Most of them just ask to feign interest in your life and make you feel better about your big news.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.