Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: matt ( )
Date: May 06, 2014 06:08PM

I am a Type 2 diabetic and am on Metformin, 2 in the morning, 2 in the evening.

I have noticed over the past year that, although my diet hasn't changed much -still trying to watch calories, not using extra sugar, that my weight has steadily increased, 36" to a 38" waist.

The nurse at my doctor's surgery said: "Your weight hasn't increased since last year" but I know that ***can't*** be right.

Is there anything suspected about Metformin causing weight gain?

I'm also on Ramapril and Securon and Furosemide and have been for many years. Could there be an interaction there?

PS The weight gain started when I was on a tablet for sciatica and I was taken off the tablet for that reason.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2014 06:10PM by matt.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: May 06, 2014 06:12PM

Here's one: http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/lasix-with-metformin-1146-676-1573-0.html

You should be able to find info about the others there, also.

Date: May 06, 2014 06:13PM

Ta very much! Will visit it now.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: May 06, 2014 06:33PM

You are on the max dose for Metformin.

Date: May 06, 2014 06:45PM

The max dose varies from country to country. 3,000mg per day in the UK and, perhaps, Australia, too.

Posted by: stoppedtheinsanity ( )
Date: May 06, 2014 06:39PM

I was also told that you need a break from metformin because it becomes ineffective after awhile. I don't know what a while is though. I guess your labs would tell. Also it depletes vitamin b12. I don't know if it's just as important for men, as women to have adequate vitamin B but not having enough could cause weight gain because when you are fatigued it causes over eating. Honestly I always lost weight on metformin though!

Date: May 06, 2014 06:46PM

That's what happened to me, too! I lost lots of weight, then suddenly put more on.

Posted by: panda ( )
Date: May 06, 2014 06:49PM

I've taken metformin on and off for about 7 yrs and the docs always say the same thing to me-one of the side effects is losing weight.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: May 06, 2014 06:49PM

2 in the morning, 2 at night, but at what dose? Metformin in the US at least comes in many sizes.

The first year I was on it, I lost a ton of weight. It was a true appetite suppressor, and I know 2 others for whom that worked for several months to a year.

I've been on a slowly increasing dose for 15 years and consider it a miracle drug compared to other options. It's been tested by millions and has shown almost no side effects.

Date: May 06, 2014 07:04PM

Two 250mg tablets, twice a day. I think. I'll check, later.

I have a parrot on my shoulder, at the moment.

Posted by: sparta ( )
Date: May 06, 2014 06:59PM

It's not indicated for weight gain, but that doesn't mean that it isn't the cause in your case.

Tbh, I'd look more closely at the Securon (verapamil). It's a more likely suspect.

The break from the metformin appears to be an old wives tale, btw. I've got patients (pharm tech) who have been stable on it for years, and holding steady.

Date: May 06, 2014 08:04PM

But I have been on verapamil for 10 to 15 years. Could it suddenly start to do this?

Posted by: Mnemonic ( )
Date: May 06, 2014 08:05PM

You might not have gained weight. Some medications can cause body fat to redistribute itself to differnt places on your body. I had a friend who was on a powerful steroid following transplant surgery. He developed a pot belly and a hump on his back even though his weight didn't increase appreciably.

Date: May 06, 2014 08:30PM

That's interesting to know. Thank you.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: May 06, 2014 08:30PM

Yes, this.
The doc says your weight hasn't increased, and you don't report having weighed yourself. Size change in the waist alone doesn't mean your total mass has increased, necessarily.
I lost 60lbs, and looked pretty great at that weight for more than a year. I have subsequently lost some of the muscle mass that used to be needed to carry my former, heavier weight around. I now look just a bit pudgy, although if anything I have lost a smidge more. Just one of the challenges of wearing a body! And yes, I have had to go one size up from my "skinny" jeans.
Good thing it's summery weather all of a sudden. Good incentive to get busy and work a bit more off.

Date: May 07, 2014 05:40PM

Only trouble is five days a week I walk about 8 miles a day. ;o))

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 06, 2014 08:56PM

it is one of the side effects of Metformin. I take it, too. I've been able to maintain my weight. One of the reasons the new injection med (can't remember the name) states the statement about weight loss is because metformin is notorious for gaining weight or not being able to lose weight. I have 2 other siblings who are also on metformin and their doctors even told them this. Many doctors won't.

Date: May 06, 2014 09:31PM

Now that's interesting. Thank you.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: May 06, 2014 09:09PM

It stands to reason, that if you get your blood sugars under control, i.e your cells are burning sugar for fuel, that you will gain weight. If your blood sugars are high, i.e. your cells aren't using sugar as fuel and are forced to burn fat instead, then you will lose weight. Although, it is a dangerous situation because the byproduct of burning fat is ketones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2014 09:10PM by Devoted Exmo.

Date: May 06, 2014 09:30PM

My blood sugar is reasonable.

I am OK with ketones, that's something that concerns Type 1s, rather than 2s.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: May 07, 2014 04:36AM

That's good. It's a tough disease to manage!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.