Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Scully1 ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 07:13AM

So Bednar is coming to a fireside in my area in Virginia this Saturday from 7-9 pm. 11 stakes are participating.

The youth only are allowed to attend. No adults - parents, youth leaders, youth advisors are not invited due to the limited space.
They are also not allowing the parent/ adult drivers to stay in the building or parking lot during because there is not enough space for all the cars.

"Youth are encouraged to come prepared with an appropriate question you would like to ask an apostle."

----

When I was TBM I would have dropped my kids off no questions asked.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Sandie* ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 07:28AM

I would send my child in with a tape recorder. Truly!

I understand their concern for lack of space, but there is just something fishy about this situation.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 09:26AM

Definitely record it. Even better if someone has a tiny video recorder. Another way is to use a cell phone and have it on a call because you certainly can't risk it ringing. If it is sending they can't take it and get rid of the recording. Of course, now it is being discussed here, TSCC may put in metal detectors for the event.

Posted by: Demon of Kolob ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 02:46PM

Just use a sound recorder app on a smart phone. This works I have recorded a meeting before.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2014 03:49PM by Demon of Kolob.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 07:29AM

Oh Dear Gawd . . . wasn't Bednar bad enough when he brought that little boy to tears recently by grabbing him from behind and pretending to be Satan? Now you're telling me that weirdo is being let loose, ALONE AND UNSUPERVISED, with hundreds of Mormon Youth?

Just whose big, d@mn, inspired idea was this?!

;o)

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 07:32AM

My thoughts exactly

Posted by: yamsi ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 07:41AM

shannon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh Dear Gawd . . . wasn't Bednar bad enough when
> he brought that little boy to tears recently by
> grabbing him from behind and pretending to be
> Satan? Now you're telling me that weirdo is being
> let loose, ALONE AND UNSUPERVISED, with hundreds
> of Mormon Youth?
>
> Just whose big, d@mn, inspired idea was this?!
>
> ;o)

It is Elohim's idea.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 09:04AM

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 07:49AM

CUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLTTTTTTTTTT!

Posted by: sunshine ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 09:39AM

As a parent, I say fuck that. Growing more culty by the week. Resignation letter is in order.

Date: May 01, 2014 07:58AM

OP here....

If my oldest wanted to go - she is now at an atheist stage after we left but all our family on both sides are soooooo Mormon - I think she would be there with her eyes wide open.

IF she went, I am sort of running through my head if there were a question she could ask that would blow it wide open?

Like... From the mouthh of a teen...
What is the most significant revelation in my generation?
Why can girls only wear one pair of earrings?
Why does the church hate homosexuals so much?
How come we increases the number of missionaries but didn't see an accompanying growth in converts. What has to change so the church can grow?
Why doesn't the church change missions to pure service and help the other people in the world?

This generation is so much more open and skeptical.

Hmmmm maybe some kids will tweet the whole thing?

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 10:06AM

Why is there a double standard with regard to modesty?

Why is there a double standard with regard to chastity?

Why are women cautioned to not get raped but men are not cautioned to not rape?

Posted by: Mr. Neutron ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 01:43PM

What are the double standards with modesty and chastity?

Posted by: silvergirl ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 01:16PM

Instead of "why only one earing?" ask:

If our bodies are temples, why is piercing allowed at all?

I don't agree with their stance on piercing, just saying that if you ask it that way, it puts them in a tougher spot to explain themselves.

SG

Date: May 01, 2014 01:17PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2014 01:18PM by silvergirl.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 04:02PM

Why no tattoos but a boob job is fine? We can't draw on our skin permanently, but we can have permanent implants? Why?

Posted by: popeyes ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 08:07AM

Where in Virginia?

Date: May 01, 2014 08:15AM

Richmond area

Posted by: roslyn ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 08:21AM

My son has some friends in that area, I'll ask him if any are going and also ask for a play by play. They have a big chat group for LDS kids some very TBM and some not so very. The conversations they have are quite impressive, I would imagine this will be discussed also.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 08:53AM

These guys are underestimating the resourcefulness of todays youth.

This meeting will be recorded, and it will show up on Youtube.

I sincerely hope Bednar lives up to expectations and does something that will go viral.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 08:59AM

I have a question for an apostle. Do you ever get bitter when you reflect back on your life because deep down inside you know it's a fraud? Has there ever been a time in your life when you felt free? Is the money, prestige and power worth it?

Date: May 01, 2014 09:02AM

Wow. That would be awesome.

Posted by: JamesL ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 09:05AM

What is it lately with LDS leaders insisting on being alone with children?

Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 10:34AM

I think it is muscle-flexing and also a way to break down parental boundaries. What TBM parent would want to stand alone and deny their child a chance to see an apostle up close and personal, "just" because there will be no adults allowed in? Who would want to be accused of not trusting the Lord's anointed?

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 09:21AM

I hate to think what is an "appropriate" question in Mr. Bednar's estimation.

This may also be a kind of power imbalance. Experienced well-trained sales executive, hundreds of malleable, impressionable young minds. Gold mine!

Ugh! Too much to do this weekend, otherwise might be fun to crash the party.

Posted by: crookedletter ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 09:29AM

Rather than ditch adult supervision, why not just invite fewer stakes at a time and host more sessions? Wouldn't a true apostle be thrilled to spend more hours talking with the youth instead of just 2 hours?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2014 09:40AM by crookedletter.

Posted by: sizterh ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 09:35AM

It would have made more sense to find a bigger place. What a hassle for parents.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 10:33AM

Seriously? Anything where a parent is explicitly told they cannot come and observe when it involves their child's participation sends up a huge red flag.

Date: May 01, 2014 11:02AM

agree. The 'not enough Dave's is a red herring. They want to tell our children things they don't want US to hear. I think it's disturbing. I would call the authorities. These are minors.

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 03:40PM

For me it would Be a big red flag. Meaning I Will attend. And if not allowed in I would call the cops on the spot.
My child. My rules, Period!!

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 03:49PM

Is anyone here near this? Anyone with a child within the age group willing to sit through this and record it? Mormon or not dress accordingly and you should be able to get in.

Would love to hear what he actually says and question / answers are asked.

Posted by: magic823 ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 10:42AM

Sounds like pedophile grooming to me.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 10:55AM

An appropriate question to ask him would be -
WHEN DID YOU LAST SEE JESUS CHRIST?

Date: May 01, 2014 12:12PM

Another excellent question to ask!

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 11:05AM

First it was Holland this week now Bednar!!! Is this a start of a trend with the Apostles!!??

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 11:08AM

"Youth are encouraged to come prepared with an appropriate question you would like to ask an apostle."

My the top 15 (and the Seventy) are so friggin full of themselves. The humility is just dripping off of Bednar, I'm sure.

Posted by: olman ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 11:42AM

As a parent, my radar is up if an event tells me not to be there with my child. My response would be something like, Okay, how about if I come into your child's bedroom, lock the door, and tell you not to disturb us for 2 hours?

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 12:03PM

He'll tell them what to do. What not to do. Perhaps go into great detail about certain things. Things which are forbidden.

Perhaps, he'll have some questions for them. Asking them to divulge various, sundry indescressions.

It might get a little hot in there. Bednar may need to demonstrate exactly how satan likes to hold on to young children so tightly - with his big strong arms.

Or maybe Bednar will just cry at them like a blubbering baby for an hour and blame the spirit. Meanwhile the teenagers will be so bored, they'll wish they were dead.

Posted by: MissTwitch13 ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 01:04PM

He came to Maine almost 10 years ago now, when I was a TBM teen. Everyone made a huge deal out of the fact that he was doing a special youth session the night before stake conference. I was so excited and at the time thought it was so cool. He had a q/a section and then spoke. I don't remember much about it now, just that he gave the same exact talk the next morning. I shit you not, he didn't change a word. I remember feeling so...let down. Our session had been built up and everyone told us it was so special that he was taking time to meet with us. And in the end he couldn't be bothered to prepare 2 talks. I remember everyone talking about what a brilliant speaker he was until a few of us teens piped up and told them what happened. Event he TBM adults couldn't hide their disappointment.

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 01:48PM

That's so pathetic! And to think TBM's think he's called of God!! What a load of BS!

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 02:28PM

This happened on my mission all the time... the missionary meeting, the priesthood meeting, the adult meeting, and the general meeting. Same talk, 4 times. And I'd bet he went on to his next assignment and gave the same talk. Putting in their time until the next step up the corporate mormon ladder.

Date: May 01, 2014 01:18PM

Have someone ask:

"Were you told to say 'those experiences are too sacred to discuss' if anyone asks you about seeing Jesus?"

SG

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 01:21PM

Stand outside and protest...send a message.

Ron Burr

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 01:51PM

Have some picket signs made with two messages front and back: MormonThink.com and Bednar Tell the Whole Truth

Another sign: MormonThink.com and Parents (with a red circle and a diagonal line over the word Parents): (written below the word Parents) "Child Indoctrination Only"

Have folks positioned on the public sidewalk where everyone can read the signs as they drive into the parking lot. The more the merrier.

Have cameras rolling to film the event should Mormon leadership try to stop you from exercising your first amendment right on public property. TSCC doesn't own the sidewalks.

Then upload to YouTube.

Maybe Bednar will lay a pickle over this?

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2014 02:06PM by jiminycricket.

Posted by: Mr. Neutron ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 02:12PM

jiminycricket Wrote:
> Maybe Bednar will lay a pickle over this?

Oh, if only!

Date: May 01, 2014 02:07PM

Scully1

Do you have any confirmation that this is true?

Some people on facebook are very interested in sharing this as widely as possible, if it is.

Thanks,

Posted by: Infiltrator ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 02:17PM

Will someone please confirm that this is legit and where it's being held? I can get eyes and ears on the ground and make a production out of this on youtube if it is. Where/ when is this shindig supposed to take place?

Posted by: anon3anon ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 03:18PM

See below. It is happening. This is directly from an e-mail

Dear Youth Leaders,

On Saturday May 3, 2014 from 7:00 - 8:30 pm we have a special opportunity to sit at the feet of a living Apostle - Elder Bednar.

All youth ages 12 - 18 are invited to attend this Fireside.
It will be held at the Richmond Va Stake Center in Short Pump.
I am sure that it will be well attended so please plan on arriving early that evening.

Posted by: AIT ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 03:19PM

HAH! That will be HILARIOUS. Bednar, alone, is going to hold the attention of hundreds of kids?

I don't think so.

After 10 min it will be an uncontrollable mass of talking, shouting, crying, and laughing.

I would love to see how he plans on handing this...alone.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 03:36PM

What's he gonna do!!!Throw lollipops to the kids in the chapel!!??

Posted by: cityworker ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 03:29PM

someone should go ask if he has anything to confess ....

freddo - you about? what could they ask him about what you think he has done in australia?

Posted by: sistertwister ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 03:32PM

I bet they take away all electronic devices for security purposes.

Keep the baby talk from escaping to the outside world, we don't want another Parable of the Pickle debacle!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2014 03:32PM by sistertwister.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 03:35PM

sistertwister Wrote:
> I bet they take away all electronic devices for
> security purposes.
>
> Keep the baby talk from escaping to the outside
> world, we don't want another Parable of the Pickle
> debacle!

I bet they try to take away all electronic devices and are not successful.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 03:35PM

Will the cult be so bold as to really not allow adults in?

I think this screams that the cult is getting desperate. I'm sure one of the topics will be for youth to keep away from the EVIL, EVIL INTERNET and any and all info that is not church approved and, of course, no questioning when the profit of Gawd has spoken.

Maybe they will go so far as to tell the youth that if there is the need in their homes, they need to be the unbending, chosen ones who stand tall as "the" example to their parents.

Posted by: ironmann ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 03:53PM

It tells me the G15 are extremely worried about losing the youth.

Last month for the General Women's meeting it was all women ages 8 and up.

Last week for my stake conference, the Saturday night meeting traditionally adults only, is now for everyone ages 12 on up.

Now a massive youth only meeting...G15 are running scared.

Posted by: this is madness ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 04:00PM

In December you have the privilege of sitting on the lap of a living Santa. You can ask him any appropriate question you want after we make sure no parents are there. You should feel so special.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: May 01, 2014 04:03PM

Me again. Had the thought that again this shows how immoral and evil the cult is.....that they are targeting full steam ahead the trusting, sweet, naive youth with their bulls**t.

It is BULLYING, plain and simple.

They do not have the courage to have dialogue and answer questions of us adults such as, well lets see, all of us who have demanded answers. They won't even continue with their ridiculous essays which were supposed to marvelously make things clear.

So, they target the YOUTH!

WIMPY LYING BULLIES!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2014 04:07PM by presleynfactsrock.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.