Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brother Zelph ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 02:35PM

Highlights for those that only caught part of it. Now that the site is down, it is hard to find all the Google cached pages, so I compiled them all in one place.

February

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://brookemission.blogspot.com/2014_02_01_archive.html

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

I don't know if I have ever mentioned Leonard... He's an older man in an electric wheelchair, who doesn't really bathe... Haha. ANYWAY. He is probably the most stubborn person I know. For real. He's so set in his ways we've talked about dropping him a few times. But we never did. We've tried many different tactics on this fellow. And they're working! His heart is being softened, it's so cool. He's finally started praying out loud for us and reading the scriptures out loud with us. And on Sunday, HE CAME TO CHURCH! We've only been trying to get him there for like a month plus. He only stayed for sacrament meeting but he said that next Sunday he would stay for Sunday school. NEXT WEEK! Hah! There is hope for crazy stubborn old men! Never give up! Let's just say that we can see him in white... soon. We have an appointment with him in like a half hour and we're gonna talk about baptism... Pray for him!

Monday, February 24, 2014

We invited Leonard, the stinker, to be baptized again, his response this time was, "Well, where's the font?" Haha. So not exactly a yes, but it's heading that direction, I can feel it! And he came to church again on Sunday. He loves all the little kids, it's so cute. I'm going to try to get a picture of this guy for you by next week. You need a visual. Trust me.

March

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://brookemission.blogspot.com/2014_03_01_archive.html

Monday, March 3, 2014

I just gotta say, I'm sorry, I forgot to get a picture of Leonard for you all. That will be my mission this week! Don't let me forget okay? But Leonard is crazy! He's so good! He offered to buy us dinner the other day, which was the sweetest thing ever! He likes us, I know it! When I first met him he was a grumpy old man and was sooooo stubborn it was painful to talk to him. Now, he's coming to church and playing with the little kids and telling us that we're "alright!" and "alright" from Leonard is like the best compliment you can get! So we were just super honest and open with him about baptism, we wanted to get to the bottom of why he's hesitant about it. And we figured it out! It really is just because he's scared of water. So we are going to see what we can do to jump that hurdle. Pray for us! Or give us any ideas you may have!...

P.S. Sorry there's no picture this week. The picture of Leonard next week should make up for it! ;)

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://brookemission.blogspot.com/2014/03/hey-everyone-so-i-got-picture-of.html

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

So I got the picture of Leonard but I had to sneak it in while he was reading from the Book of Mormon... so you can only kind of see his face. But that counts right? We had a branch talent show this week and we have invited him to it like 10 times and he keeps saying no, "he doesn't do talent shows." Well, that's a lame excuse. Anyway so we were driving over there and we see his little scooter heading to the church we were freaking out we were so excited. Like jumping up and down and all that. It was awesome! And not only did he stay for the whole thing but he socialized after. This man does not know how to socialize. But he did! I felt like a proud mom or something kinda like that. Oh AND he came to church the next day and stayed two hours AND he gave us each $20 because he loves us and know we're poor! He's awesome.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://brookemission.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

I know I didn't mention Leonard this week, but don't worry. He's doing good. We're trying to get him to the waters of baptism by the 29th. Think if I tell him it would be the best birthday present ever he would say yes?

Monday, April 7, 2014

LEONARD'S GOING SWIMMING! He who hates water so much so that a proper bath has not happened in years is entering into the WATERS of baptism this Friday the 11th of April! He will be getting baptized at the community pool, they have a mechanism for handicapped people and he will not only be clean physically but spiritually! We are thrilled. And how we got him to do it was sneaky. We went to see him as normal, and the first thing we say after we sit down and pray is, "So Leonard, the only thing left to do for your baptism is to pick someone to baptize you!" (At this point he hasn't agreed yet.) And just as smoothly as that he was like.... "Ok, but I'm bad with names." So we continued to plan it all out. We're so so excited for him! Wahooooo!

4-14-2014
So, yes, Leonard got baptized on Friday evening, and we were able to talk him into having some of the the priesthood help carry him into the font so we could do it at the church and have a little bit more reverent setting. It was great! We had an awesome father and daughter from the branch who have befriended him give the talks and then we headed to the font. It was funny you could hear him cracking jokes with the Elders, who were helping him into the water. Despite the fact that he had to go under twice because his little pinky was sticking out and that he coughed/choked a little on water, it went perfectly. OH! I forgot to mention something funny that I did. Remember, I've told you that Leonard is a little stinky... haha. Well, I had a little bit of my body wash left and so when we were going to fill up the font, we squirted it in there and it filled up with bubbles that we thought would go away by the time the font had filled.... Well we come back a couple hours later and the bubbles are still there! In fact they're everywhere and there's a lot of them. So, we had to use a broom and sweep them out into a bucket! We didn't want anyone to know that we were trying to freshen him up. Haha. But we got them out and no one noticed! We're sneaky. ;) Anyway, after he was baptized, we had a part in the program for people to bear testimonies and so many people did it was AWESOME! And when Sister Aulner and I bore ours he cried a little. It was the sweetest thing! Oh man, we just love this man. He's harsh on the outside, but inside he's all gooey and DEFINITELY filled with the light of Christ.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: deco ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 02:52PM

It is quite obvious that Leonard cannot take a shower because of his mobility issues. He is in a wheel chair, and his age appears to be that he may be a Vietnam Vet.

He is being exploited by these girls, and that is truly a shame.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 03:00PM

(Young) Women really (or anyone not super proven a true leader) shouldn't be teaching this stuff (misusing sex appeal, charm [stud], and their mystique)- this is a learning time. A lot of these young men shouldn't be out there either. And as very few are professional, if any, none should be allowed to write about these experiences/ dreams/ thoughts publicly.

Edited title

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2014 03:09PM by moremany.

Date: April 30, 2014 03:10PM

moremany Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
none should be allowed to
> write about these experiences/ dreams/ thoughts
> publicly.

This kind of attitude is nothing new. It used to be private letters, then private emails, now public blogs. That is a dramatic change. I am a firm believer that sunlight is the best sterilizer and these things need to be exposed. People need to see the LDS church for what it really is. I recognize that people aren't perfect, but this is an accurate reflection of a typical Mormon missionary. It's all for vanity. Their baptisms are nothing more than trophies to write home about. Look at their converts. An 8 year old boy that lives with his grandparents. An elderly disabled man that they had to trick into being baptized by being "sneaky" meanwhile making fun of him behind his back publicly. Behold, your 200K+ Mormon convert baptisms they boast about in their annual reports.

Posted by: flo, the nevermo ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 04:08PM

Wait a minute, there. What difference does it make who is doing it? It's utter deception to begin with!

"Proven leader?" "Learning time?!". As if!

Posted by: schlock ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 08:11PM

Actually moremany, nobody should be teaching the mormon meme, because it's all bullshit, with the ultimate aim being that of fleecing others of their time, talents, and MONEY.

And, are you seriously inferring that 18 year old boy missionaries are more mature and seasoned and professional than their 19 year old girl missionary counterparts?

[Or for that matter, since we're on the subject, senior missionaries (if they're anything like my dad and stepmom) are running at a 13 year old maturity level, even though they're all in their 70s and 80s. So they're not all that higher functioning than the young single missionaries, from an emotional quotient standpoint.]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2014 08:20PM by schlock.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 03:05PM

April 28th... (I wonder how long this one will last. Who will get tired of who or what first? I've only read a few posts by dumbell and there isn't much there):

Johnathan was baptized on Friday! Sister Aulner and I were able to teach this cute kiddo and he was confirmed on Sunday in church. It was a wonderful service, but I think that my favorite part was seeing the smile on Leonard's face watching Johnathan come up out of the water. He looked so proud of that kid, it was adorable!

...chicken feet that one time, remember? :)

Sorry my email is a little spacey and random. But, something that I really like I heard in a song that I got on a CD from Wendy. It says, "fear is a lie." I absolutely love that line. If we think of all the things that we're scared of whether it's a spider or getting a shot or sharing the gospel, it's all a lie. We are 1,000,000 times bigger than the spider, truth. The shot lasts 5 seconds and the most it does it bruise, truth. We have testimonies of the gospel and the people around us are our brothers and sisters, truth. So I guess what I'm getting at is that we need to get over our fears! We need to lay it out on the line. Squish those spiders (or let them free), take a deep breath and get the shot, pray your hardest and open your mouth. Fear is a lie. We have the truth. Let's do something about it." YADDAyaddaYADDA

NO spirit or ghost
NO wisdom, ethics or boundaries
NO authenticity or credibility
NO personality or personability
Certainly no HEART or head
If she has an ass, it would be wise to pull the head out soon

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 03:17PM

"fear is a lie"

No. The cake is a lie.

The cake, of course, being the Celestial Kingdom and that pouring out blessings hokum.

Posted by: jkjkjkjk ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 03:20PM

Best quote I have seen On Feb 3rd -

"I swear, sometimes as a missionary I feel so creepy. Haha, but it's all part of the job!"

Yea I think that says it all.

Date: April 30, 2014 03:22PM

jkjkjkjk Wrote:
> Best quote I have seen On Feb 3rd -
>
> "I swear, sometimes as a missionary I feel so
> creepy. Haha, but it's all part of the job!"
>

**cough
CULT
**cough

**cough
CULT
**cough

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 04:27PM

In addition to all the points others have brought up about why her blogging about Leonard is a bad idea, there is also the matter of the personal privacy to which he is entitled.

It is not her story to tell that he got baptized into the Mormon Church. He may not wish to tell the world, or his family, or he may have needed to wait and do it in his own good time. This missionary has even taken that consideration away from him.

She has also mentioned personal aspects of the situation that should have not been publicized. And, as we all know, the Internet is forever. She cannot now take it back. Even though she (or someone) has closed her blog site (if I have understood that correctly) it is in a cache, which non-Mormons have now captured and continued to publicize. She cannot make it right by removing the offending prose. It is not within her ability now to do that.

I don't know if there is recourse at law for this type of breach of privacy but it is distasteful, and ignorant - in the most specific meaning of that word - literally, she does not know about respecting the privacy of other people, it would seem.

Leonard's story is for Leonard to tell. Not her. Or the MP. Or the bishop.

But they don't teach that in Mormonism.

I did not tell any family or friends for a long time that I had actually been baptized. Good thing, as three years later I walked away and have never been back. And they were happy to see the back of me. I would have been so embarrassed, and livid, if any missionary or other Mormon had taken it upon themselves to breach my privacy by blogging about MY business all over the Internet. Sheesh! They are slow to learn, these Mormons, or slow to accept, or comprehend, or catch up, or acquiesce to greater understanding, etc.

I agree that it's a matter of a lack of teaching, good manners, common courtesy, laws and regulations, basic principles of being a well socialized human being, and actually how to put the teachings to good use.

I join others in hoping that the church members and leaders will now actually really love and care for Leonard, a man they coerced into joining, so now it behooves them to step up to the plate and show compassion by rendering useful, appropriate assistance as requested by a willing recipient, or if he says back off, having the grace to accede to his stated wishes.

I hope for a good resolution. But I won't hold my breath.

Date: April 30, 2014 04:37PM

I've been learning from you guys here for a long time now. Is there really ANY chance of that happening, at all?

Date: April 30, 2014 04:40PM

Date: April 30, 2014 04:42PM

I think if the church is shamed enough over this blog they will take better care of him that would have happened otherwise.

Date: April 30, 2014 04:27PM

"We volunteer at a food pantry here and we were filing away papers and this one paper just kind of popped out at me. And I felt like I needed to write down the address. I was kinda like... what the... why? But I did it anyway, which isn't necessarily kosher. BUT we went to the address a couple days later and she answered her door! "

Posted by: acerbic ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 05:06PM

This is in some ways worse than what she did to Leonard, in legal terms anyway. She volunteered at a food pantry and then took confidential information and contacted a client of the organization. Wow, that just horrible.

Date: April 30, 2014 06:54PM

Date: April 30, 2014 07:17PM

Nightingale Wrote:
> n/t

I wonder if a criminal complaint could be made on that. It would be nice to see her in handcuffs doing the perp walk.

Posted by: Margie ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 05:07PM

jkjkjkjk Wrote:
> "We volunteer at a food pantry here and we were
> filing away papers and this one paper just kind of
> popped out at me. And I felt like I needed to
> write down the address. I was kinda like... what
> the... why? But I did it anyway, which isn't
> necessarily kosher. BUT we went to the address a
> couple days later and she answered her door! "

Good grief. I imagine the person whose address she stole was a food pantry recipient. Employee? I wonder if what she did was illegal. I only know about HIPAA privacy rules because I worked in patient records. I wonder if there are some Government rules protecting food pantry recipients. Predator.

Date: April 30, 2014 05:21PM

I've worked in a food pantry before. Why do such records even exist?

Ya don't ask hungry people for personal info before you give them food! Ya just don't, cuz that would be WRONG. It would be like something that an organization might do if it had ulterior motives. Ya know, like a cult or something.

Posted by: The other Sofia ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 04:41PM

This sister is a trainer. She mentions at one point that her companion is the fourth that she's trained. I thought that she's taking these new sisters and training them to be just like her.

Posted by: The other Sofia ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 04:43PM

I suspect more of these blogs are going to be password protected. The chopping head sister's blog is protected now. They will probably add that to their MTC training.

Posted by: ThatLittleBriggyWentWeeWeeWee ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 04:45PM

She acts a little bit like someone with an Axis II personality disorder. I'm so glad I don't know her. I had to many roommates like her at the zoo.

Date: April 30, 2014 04:46PM

AGGGHHHH! too not to. I feel dumb now.

Posted by: anon1000110101011011 ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 04:54PM

I think this girl is a twit but also very typical in her attitude having been raised mormon. I don't what makes a person say the do the things this little girl (age 22 though mentally about 12) but I can't say this is abnormal mormon behavior. Also why my kids will never have anything to do with mormons. To prove my point, go to the NOM site and most(not all) of the posters there think this is no big deal, immature maybe. Why mormons can't see that they are awful people (not all of them of course but let's say an increasing majority as you get closer to SLC) is beyond me other than a lifetime in all things mormon must create this mindset. Imagine the instead of 15 million, a 150 million mormons or 1.5 billion mormons, that would be just depressing. In the end, the good "hermana" whatever her name is will maybe insulate a few more folks from wanting to talk to missionaries and maybe get a few mormons to ask themselves what the hell are they doing with folks like this.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 05:06PM

Can you imagine the horror when one of her friends or relatives stumbles across a Google search for "Hermana Brooke Stoeltzing?"

The results will not be what they expect, I fear:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Hermana+Brooke+Stoeltzing

Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 05:28PM

is she sure of what a stud is? i'm only asking. Maybe she doesnt know.

Posted by: B'hamster ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 05:47PM

Referring to the mission president --

"Also, President Murdock said that he thinks of me like a daughter and that if I ever need anything, or just someone to talk to that I can call him, skip the DL, ZL's, go right to him. Cool. I love that man. He's a stud."

Date: April 30, 2014 07:49PM

That's why she thinks of him as a stud--he thinks of her as a daughter. It all makes sense now. I love mormons!

but not as much as they love incest. j/k. Kinda, sorta.

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 08:19PM

Is it just me, or is the mission president's invitation to bypass the chain of command and meet with him for anything, or just to chat, just a little dodgy?

Date: April 30, 2014 08:21PM

spanner Wrote:
> Is it just me, or is the mission president's
> invitation to bypass the chain of command and meet
> with him for anything, or just to chat, just a
> little dodgy?

The mp is the lord's anointed. He is above questioning. You are reading too much Orwell.

Posted by: lemmie ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 06:13PM

you can't make this stuff up! Every time i check in on this story, someone points out another idiocy written by brooke stoeltzing, this time her story of the spirit inspiring her to steal and misuse confidential information from a food pantry.

Here's a typical volunteer confidentiality policy (this one's from food-finders.org):

"As a volunteer, I may have access to sensitive or confidential information. This information includes, but is not limited to, identity, address, contact information, credit card numbers, disability status, and financial information of Food Bank clients, volunteers, donors, and staff. At all times during and after my participation, I agree to hold in confidence and not disclose or use any such confidential information except as required in my Food Bank volunteer activities or as expressly authorized in writing by the Food Bank’s Executive Director."

Posted by: Redneck Wonderland ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 07:49PM

Lets not forget the trespassing at the burnt out trailer. Let's ignore the safety tape around the trailer. Knock knock. Nobody is home, but the doors unlocked. What do mean its illegal to enter someone's home without authorization. We are doing Gods work, so the law doesn't apply to us.

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 08:00PM

Misusing confidential information from a food bank to prey on vulnerable people. Cripes, it is just getting worse.

She is jeopardizing one of the few useful service functions available to missionaries. The charities running these food banks would not have the missionaries help if they knew they were there to get leads.

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: April 30, 2014 08:31PM

One thing's for sure. She's done a lot of damage for the morg and their missionary program!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.