Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ultra ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 02:52PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2fpoC4YIes

So I am listening to this podcast from FAIR regarding research on the Book of Abraham where the guy comes out and SAYS that Joseph Smith was mistaken about what it actually was. The evidence is CONCLUSIVE that it IS NOT the writings or signature of Abraham...

However, it's still TRUE and shows that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, and was some sort of channeling device or some such thing...

And my cereal box was used by me to channel the records of the people on the planet ZORP.

These guys must take massive doses of anti-psychotic meds or something...Their brains must be banging against the inside of their skulls from all the flipping around going around in there. GOOD GOD!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 03:04PM

I was going to listen to it and realized that in the next 48 minutes I want to do something else. I can't imagine that there is any "well documented proof" to prove anything other than this is a freaking hoax.

Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 03:15PM

Yeah...I don't get that. It was a catalyst for JS to get the words of Abraham. If god wanted people to have it, why would he need a catalyst? Why not preserve it like he did the bom? Or just tell JS, here is something you need to know. It's such a weak argument.

This along with the stones in the hat, I don't know how people can believe after these things. For so long I was told how special and important it was that god preserved the plates and the U&T. But then JS didn't even use either one.....it's a JOKE!

Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 03:20PM

Exactly...God has to work through some carnival barker's dusty mummy to reveal his will? I suppose next we'll be using Dr. Austin's Feel Good Tonic in place of water in the sacrament cups.

The BoA story reveals Mormonism to be the huckster religion it started as.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 03:32PM

What the apologists are really saying, in a roundabout way, is that Joseph Smith saw the scroll and felt inspired to write something. That is what actually happened. He felt like writing something, so he wrote something.

The apologists have been reduced to dancing around a fact that the rest of us already knew.

Date: April 22, 2014 04:38PM

Right that is what he did....but what they originally said he did was translate it....

I love how they just skip over that...."Oh we didn't say that. No we said he used it to get the link to god to get the info"

Posted by: vh65 ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 03:33PM

This is why it's never talked about, and members are brainwashed to avoid all "anti-Mormon" literature. Because when you start thinking about it:

- Magic underwear?
- Secret handshakes, a guest list (baptized in life or by proxy) and a password to get into heaven?
- A book written on gold plates buried in the woods that nobody ever saw except in visions?
- The whole thing translated by looking at a rock in a hat?

It's so humiliating to think I ever considered this a reasonable religious option. Worse that my family still does. And they are so smart and committed that they would probably come up with some crazy complex solution like this one. Sigh.

Date: April 22, 2014 03:37PM

My seven year old son told me that he and his brother dug such a big hole they'll dig their way to the gold plates. That would be something huh? ;-)

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 03:34PM

Even dumber when the most conservative estimates for the amount invested in getting the scrolls would be nearly $70,000 in today's money. Who spends $70,000 for a catalyst?

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: April 23, 2014 01:10PM

Exactly! Especially considering that $70k could be going in their pockets instead.

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 03:49PM

And if you believe this rubbish you have to also accept that JS further conned people by charging them to come and look at some common Egyptian papyri under the auspices that it was the actual writings of Abraham.

If you give him the benefit of doubt and suggest that he didn't knowingly con, you still have to question why God didn't just opt to whisper the truth in his ear before they took people's hard earned cash.

Posted by: Brother Zelph ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 03:50PM

The BoA issue is what really did it for me. Forgive me for growing up with the idea that Joseph Smith was a literal translator of ancient texts. I have no idea how I could have possibly got that idea. Now, Mormon apologists will say that I was being naive. Who knew? Apparently my only fault was that I had too much faith.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 04:00PM

Yep, God was so careful when translating the BoM that he wouldn't let a word vanish from the hat if it had been written down wrong, didn't care that JS totally misunderstood what the scrolls were.

If he got the scrolls wrong, why should we believe he got the plates right?

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 04:51PM

"If he got the scrolls wrong, why should we believe he got the plates right?"

Why were so called Abrahams own writings written by his own hand allowed to be handled so publicly and sold via some dodgy antiquities dealer and displayed in full public exhibition and yet the so called BofM plates were not allowed to be seen or exhibited in the same way?

There were no plates.

Date: April 22, 2014 05:11PM

Unless by plates you mean a floor tile wrapped in linen, or a bag of sand in a box.

Date: April 22, 2014 05:14PM

THIS!

Posted by: Brother Zelph ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 05:14PM

zeezrom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> There were no plates.

Um, excuse me, no plates? They are safely in the hands of the white Native American spook. I know this because of a "feeling." It's the only explanation that makes sense.

Posted by: Hold Your Tapirs ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 05:06PM

This right here!!

Posted by: My Take ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 05:15PM

However, Smith had the printer place reference numbers over some of the characters on the scrolls and then Smith specifically said what those numbered figures meant in the original language!

Clearly he was saying that this was a literal translation of the scrolls, not just some "inspiration" leading to another different story.

Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 05:17PM

So what did they say if anything about the facsimiles? How do they explain him mistranslating specific characters?

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 05:19PM

They say that the figures were adjusted by men over centuries and that JS received the correct translation of the original characters. Yes, crazy I know.

Date: April 23, 2014 12:45PM

Nothing is too crazy for rabid apologists in TSCC.

Posted by: Clearheaded ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 05:18PM

If it's true, what is the origin of the word "Egypt?" Haha here's a hint- NOT the name of a woman who first "discovered" the place! That convinced me 100% that Joseph Smith was full of shit.

Posted by: poem ( )
Date: April 23, 2014 10:39AM

At what number of minutes in? I don't want to watch the whole thing

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: April 23, 2014 10:47AM

So even just sticking to the text itself it falsifies itself.
It imports the global flood wholesale which is highly refutable, so refutable even that defenders consider it trite. But it's still a basic.
But the we have the black curse of Cain passed from the wife of Ham down to Egyptus, and her discovery and recolonization of Egypt and implicitly all of Africa.
This is fiction. We know that for sure through multiple indepenedent disciplines of research.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: April 23, 2014 01:25PM

Well at least Lucy made a few bucks back for the household kitty selling peeks at her son's perfidy.

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: April 23, 2014 01:50PM

now in efforts to hold it all together. They at the same time praise JS as a singular source of divine revelation and knowledge of eternity far beyond that of any man of recent history but then have to call out these huge caveats/stipulations.

"Joseph was God's true prophet who revealed all the truths of eternity we enjoy now.....but he couldn't tell ancient funerary papyri from scripture. How do we know? You'll have to just trust us."

What qualifies any of these people to know what JS knew? These guys aren't prophets speaking for the Church and outside of the evidence this is all apologetics by guessing. How exactly do they get to qualify and second guess what the Prophet of the Restoration did and said himself?

It's odd to me how God's prophets are needing un-annointed believers and apologists to pull their biscuits out of the fire all the time now. The 15 have little if anything to say any more on anything that can possibly be verified and refuted later. They are they mute and symbolic oracles of Mormonism. I have to really ask why then have prophets at all and who is really the voice of God here?

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: April 23, 2014 01:59PM

"These guys must take massive doses of anti-psychotic meds or something" - the NEED anti-psychotic drugs. What they are taking is LSD. LSD seems to be the drug of choice for LDS.

It is posts like this one that make me literally scream CULT CULT CULT. And believe me this is when I call people who choose to stay in the CULT COMPLETE MORONS!
If you can honestly stay in this CULT of IQ-less wonders after this lame apology about the BoA, then you are dumber than a rock! In fact you are sharing an IQ with a speed bump and the speed bump got the lion's share.

For those of you who intend to stay in after reading this apology, tell me how you find your own butt to take a crap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2014 02:06PM by verilyverily.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.