Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anonymous4now ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 01:13AM

I live in the morg, and a woman I know attends college while working at the church office building. The church has always been very accommodating with working around her class schedule so that she can complete her degree for a while now, until recently. This semester, they have told her that they no longer will do it because her degree isn't necessary for a woman anyways, since a woman of her age should be focusing on other things (insinuated marriage more than once) I can't believe that basically they told her you can have your job, while you look for a husband, or you can finish your degree and be out of work because we as a church think you've waited way too long to get married. She's beginning to doubt the church now that she works there, especially now that they've deemed that she doesn't need a degree since she'll only be in the work force for a limited time. I'm proud that she's choosing school, and hope she can see her way out of the cult now that they've pissed her off.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: munchkin ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 01:18AM

Just when you think you've heard everything...

I hope she is keeping copies of the correspondence, or is recording the supervisor saying this. I'm not sure if she has a case if they do change her working conditions for this reason, but someone else in the know on here may be able to speak up about labor laws in Utah.

Posted by: mew ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 01:23AM

The church is a non-profit org and therefore the rules are not the same as a general company. Unfortunately. I think it's wrong. There was a man fired because he came out as gay. He sued. He lost. I studied the case in school and was appalled. This assisted me in my way out. I can get a link to the case, but when I go on my computer-can't do it from my phone.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 01:31AM

I told DW that I would never work for "the church." I'm well aware that employee's rights are severely limited when working for any religious organization.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 01:32AM

So, what happens when the church fails to produce said male? The female is supposed to go to work at wal-mart the rest of her life? Let me tell you, the church is nowhere to be found when you are a single working woman in your 20'. They will do absolutely nothing to help you. God forbid if you have kids.

Your one and only solution (to them) is to find a mormon man pronto. They don't care if he's your worst nightmare. Marry him already!

She needs to start looking for a new job ASAP. She cannot depend on them to keep her employed while she's getting an education.

The Mo church does NOT like educated women who think for themselves.

Date: April 22, 2014 02:03AM

But yet, GBH said women need to get an education and that besides a house that was the only acceptable debt. Lol..the church isn't there for you much even as a married couple with kids. It's a joke.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 05:52AM

mew Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But yet, GBH said women need to get an education
> and that besides a house that was the only
> acceptable debt. Lol..the church isn't there for
> you much even as a married couple with kids. It's
> a joke.

But then, GBH said a lot of things, didn't he!

Date: April 22, 2014 03:38PM

True. Just think he was once my favorite and I actually followed him. It has not got me very far.

Posted by: elconquistador ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 02:42AM

Wow, she should just write a letter back regurgitating the same belief about the un-importance of marriage for women in comparison with the importance of marriage for men and that god will surely hook her up with a god when she passed. hahahahaha. But above all that, I really do hope she finds her way out as well. That's total rubbish.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 05:40AM

They should be giving her whatever accommodations they routinely offer male employees.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 03:27PM

But most importantly, if her eyes are opened to the fact that she will never get out of the serving class, then it's worth it.

She should sue and collect her damages to help her pay for her education.

I'm assuming she's going to the U, but if she's going to YBU, then the fallout should be interesting.

House of Cards

Kathleen Waters

Date: April 23, 2014 01:38PM

I haven't asked what the males accommodations are like for college schedules, I'll have to do that when I see her next! I'll make sure to point out if there's any unfairness, which also may lead into a conversation about how that unfairness is perpetuated in their culture.

Date: April 22, 2014 01:11PM

Sorry for all the previous typos, first off, I just noticed how much my phone "fixed". She is planning her exit at least of work so that hopefully she will have another job before they find out she has made plans to continue school in the fall. If they even find out she registered for classes she will be fired on the spot at this point is what she told me. I just can't believe they won't separate their beliefs from their business a little bit, when she's not breaking any rules, she's just single!

Posted by: sincere9 ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 01:20PM

This is so messed up.

Posted by: mysticma ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 03:06PM

I was so blessed when I was a young mormon girl of 19. I found a rm from a picture perfect Utah family and promptly got my temple marriage and began having those bic babies.

Never finished college although my mother always encouraged me to follow through.

Five beautiful children later, the "perfect" mormon husband could never hold a job or focus on the family. I ended up working so I could provide the family with insurance the entire 20 years we were married. Every Sunday we went to church (nearly every Sunday we were married) I heard from all those penishood members what "a wonderful man" I had married. How lucky I was to have had him pick me!!

Seriously? This idiot couldn't hold a job, provide for his family, or even stay home long enough to help with dinner he didn't buy because he either had to be at some bishops meeting or girlfriends house.

This woman who is choosing her education is selecting her path in life. Work to make yourself the best person you can be and not to make others happy.

I love my children and that I had them young, just wish I had finished my education.

Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 03:12PM

I agree....if a woman wants to finish her education, go for it. While I was a TBM for 36 years...I never did look at women as just mothers. My wife finished her degree the first two years of our marriage and I was all for it. And even just recently, she re-certified, even though she hasn't had to work for the entire 12 years of our marriage.(by her own choice mind you) But its something she wanted to do, so I said go for it.
I will never understand guys who think women shouldn't do schooling or even work if they want too. I am glad my DW had an education. One, it's good for her. She feels good about herself that she got it done. Second, what if something where to happen to me and she needed to work? With her degree she can.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 03:36PM

She needs to find some examples of mormon males that were treated different, yet in the same circumstances. AND then document, document, document.

Then she needs to find to give Gloria Allred a call. OMG, I just realized That Gloria Allred could have some mormons in her family tree. I never made that connection with her name before.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.