Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: morgbotnot ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 11:43PM

April 2004 - my final epiphany and exit from Mormonism. My journey away from Mormonism began in the Summer of 2001 when I was preparing to go on a Mormon Church History Tour. Before going, I decided to do some research so I would know more when we visited the key places. And that was the beginning of the end for me as I began discovering the truth behind the lies I had been taught my entire life.

I was BIC, MIT, and a devout Mormon for 52 years. Of course, I had had issues over the years, but I put them on my shelf as I bought into the line that we can't understand everything in this life, that God's ways are mysterious, and that if we endure to the end we will find it was worth it. By the time I finally left, the shelf I had constructed was collapsing completely. Cognitive Dissonance to the max.

Of course, the icing on the cake is that my daughter left the church around the same time I did. She was 22 at the time, and I am so grateful she hasn't spent her entire life trapped inside Mormonism. We had parallel journeys 850 miles apart since she was living in SLC at the time and I was still in California. When she came home, I decided to tell her that I was no longer going to church and didn't believe it anymore because I didn't want to pretend. And the look of relief on her face was amazing as she told me that she hadn't gone to church the entire year she lived in SLC and didn't believe it anymore. When we discussed our issues, I would start a sentence and she would finish it. It was truly incredible.

Life goes on - and I can honestly say that I am happier now than I have ever been in my life. For so many years, my individuality was squelched. Whereas I should have used critical thinking, I went along with the Mormon Party Line instead, letting them pull the wool over my eyes. Trying to believe when in my heart and soul I knew there was something dreadfully wrong. But of course, as the church teaches, I bought into the line that there was something wrong with me, and not the church. After all, TSCC is perfect - right??!!

So glad to be away. So glad to be me.

This ends the un-testimony portion of our evening.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 10:00AM

Awesome!

Your post is another classic that I would LOVE to send to all my Kool-Aid drinking relatives.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 10:06AM

I would love to see a campaign with the words, "I'm an ex-Mormon. I studied my way out."

As I remember the trauma of telling my father the bishop, I can imagine what a brilliant moment that was for your daughter to know you were on the same page. So happy for both of you.

Posted by: stoppedtheinsanity ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 10:52AM

Congratulations! I enjoyed your post!

Posted by: Eyeswideopen ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 10:53AM

Congratulations Morgbotnot! We share an anniversary. I have also been out for ten years this month! 10 years of freedom! I don't regret resigning for one second.

I have been away from the church for almost thirty years. I thought the church had lost me, but after 8 different moves, in 3 different states that creepy, stalking cult found me. After that I decided I needed to make it official.

When I received my letter it was more emotional than I thought it would be. I just felt so free even though I hadn't stepped foot in a mormon church in almost thirty years! I loved reading the words in the letter that said, "You are no longer a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints".

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.