Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anonforthisone ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 11:38PM

I'm 24, almost 25, and didn't grow up in the church but converted.

I always wanted to get married and have children young, and got involved in several long-term relationships that didn't go well and where I was pretty deprived of sex. I'm primarily with women but I occasionally date men as well (I'm female).

I still feel a pull to settle down and I want to meet the love of my life, but--to be honest--I'm more attractive and confident now than I've ever been; I went through a long, long period of depression and self-loathing, and struggled a lot with coming out and dealing with my sexuality as well as leaving the church and all Christianity/organized religion. Now suddenly I'm getting asked out all the time and I've been having a hard time wanting a commitment, even though I know in my heart that I do and I'm ready. Most days I really just want sex and to flirt and be completely free. I'm afraid I'll be sabotaging myself by pushing away the people who want a long-term relationship with me now in favor of playing the field. I just feel a little wild, but when I've let myself go there before I've ended up feeling guilty and wanting long-term love.

Has anyone dealt with this? What is your advice?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: almost ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 11:43PM

Your best bet is married men or women or single book ups in bars ect. If they are married and you tell them you just want to fool around, many are all in, some will invite you to join them and their spouse. Just have fun and settle down when you are ready. Just make sure you are always safe.

Date: April 21, 2014 11:45PM

No no no, I'm not interested at all in married people. I'm thinking more like flings in fully consenting situations--not like random hookups or going behind anyone's back.

And the issue isn't finding the people (they're there already), just a strange lack of a desire for commitment, which has never existed for me before.

Posted by: almost ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 11:47PM

It really isn't that complicated for attractive women to get laid. If you are not attractive, you may need to skank it up a bit, but still should find plenty of willing participants.

Date: April 21, 2014 11:48PM

The issue is not getting laid--I am. The issue is my own feeling of not wanting commitment for the first time in my life and my struggle with it. I'm not asking how to find partners.

Posted by: Chad ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 11:53PM

Just play the field until you find someone with whom it's natural for you to form a commitment.
Don't put pressure on yourself now to accept someone long term just because they're available.
When the right person comes along it'll all happen easily and naturally. No effort.

(Effort will be required later in maintaining the commitment, but in wanting the commitment - that will come effortlessly)

Posted by: Chad ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 11:54PM

Not wanting commitment isn't good or bad. It's your life, why do you feel you MUST find commitment?

Sounds like you're content with how things are. Just go with the flow and relax :)

Have fun. That's how life's supposed to be.

Posted by: Edmond Dantes ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 10:10AM

Your former LDS way of looking at relationships may be guilting you.
Stop worrying and relax. You are wound way too tightly-despite what you think. Take it from a man who has heard plenty of women talk like you are.

I have been in a similar situation, though admittedly I am not bisexual like you. Part of being able to relax for me was realizing I would always be able to find a partner willing to commit when I was ready...and in the meantime, it was time to play.

Take this concern as a sign that your demons are still lurking somewhere in the background. It's OK, but you'll still want to address them every now and again.

Best of luck.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 11:29AM

You're young. Don't worry about a LTR so much. It will happen someday, probably when you're not thinking about it so much.

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 11:48AM

If you are with a man, just make sure you get a financial commitment to take care of the kid in case you get pregnant. If there is no potential for children, just make sure you and your partner are on the same page as far as commitment, lack thereof, or what you want out of the relationship, however short it may be. Just my two cents.
I've had a vasectomy. Give me a call. Just kidding. Sort of.

Posted by: vh65 ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 12:41PM

You are still very young. That age is when you kind of come into your own and should enjoy your independence. I think the urge for commitment and marriage hits harder around 30 for many people. I would just be honest with whoever you date, letting them know you probably don't want to marry for 4-5 years.

Posted by: Oxymormon(not logged in) ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 02:51PM

I'm a gay man, but I can totally relate.

Once I accepted myself as gay AND learned the truth about TSCC, letting go of my BIC worldview, I went into what I call my slutty phase. I wanted to experience all the things I had been repressing for years. Random hook ups and one night stands became the order of the day. Letting go of the guilt left over from TSCC was definitely a process, but eventually that awful "I'm a sinner" feeling goes away. And you rejoice anew that you left the cult behind. I guess I'm trying to say it gets better.

I'm no longer in the slutty phase: a LTR is what I want, so I'm much more selective with whom I am intimate.
My advice to you: live your life, let go of guilt, be safe, have fun.

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 03:12PM

Sex is great and not anything to be ashamed of. I agree with Oxymormon to have fun and be safe. My mom always told me that when I wasn't looking but living life and being happy the "right one" would turn up. It's okay if you don't feel ready yet, I was almost 27 before I married and 28 before having a child. It's easy to feel pressured as a woman to hurry into a committed relationship, I say forget that and embark on a journey of self-discovery and fun!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.