Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: michaelgbluth ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 08:52PM

I left the Church a year and half ago at which point I requested a meeting with the bishop. I wanted him to hear from my mouth why I was leaving. He is one of the good ones and I felt like it was the right thing to do. After an hour of discussion he was very understanding and knew I would not be coming back. He didn't even try to talk me out of it.

So here I am 1.5 years later and I just received my response from SLC that my resignation letter was forwarded on to my bishop. After waiting around for awhile I emailed my bishop to ask where he was at in the process. He said that he was just notified and wants to meet this week.

This meeting is completely unnecessary, correct? Although I don't mind meeting with him, I could simply refuse and ask him to continue the process anyway, right?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 08:57PM

Yeah, you can just say, "We already had a meeting. At this point, I'd just like it to get done." They really just need you to confirm that you did request it and that you mean it.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 08:59PM

You should be able to tell him that you understand that

1) it cancels the effects of baptism and confirmation
2) withdraws the priesthood held by a male member
3) revokes temple blessings.
4) You must wait a year to rejoin the church
5) That you are resolute and unwavering in your decision and to waive the 30 day waiting period.

After saying or writing this 5 things to him ask if he still requires a meeting - he should say no since these are the things he is supposed to cover in the meeting.

Alternatively, if you just dodge him they will automatically process your request in another 60 days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2014 08:59PM by The Oncoming Storm - bc.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 06:32PM

I included those 5 points in my resignation letter, but the bishop came over to my house, anyway.

If I could do it over again, I would NOT have met with the bishop, or with my HT's or neighbors, either. It was most unpleasant, and they threatened me with financial failure, worsening health, and the failure of my children. These were very upsetting encounters, and I was alone, with no "man" to throw them out of my house. (My son did ask two neighbor men to leave, on one occasion, and I was very proud of him!)

Remember, the bishop has no authority over you. A Mormon bishop has no authority with God. It is a made-up cult of lies. You don't "owe" the bishop anything, either. TSCC owes you thousands of dollars and countless hours of stress, boredom, and useless busywork.

Other church just let people walk out the door.

Posted by: AnonX ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 08:59PM

Yes, of course you can refuse. They have no authority over you and you are no longer a member at this point.nyou have resigned. Period. It's their bureaucracy that's holding up that letter that you like to have, I'm sure. If that's the case, and if you don't want to talk to the guy again, just tell him so. Remember, they have no special or magical powers that require anything from you. They are not the IRS.

Posted by: Dennis Moore ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 09:00PM

I don't think it is necessary at all. For Pete's sake, you already discussed this with bishop jack wagon.

Just say "no!"

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 09:10PM

Just say no. I did.

Date: April 21, 2014 09:13PM

That is what I figured. However, if it hastens the process then I wouldn't mind meeting with him.

Posted by: Dennis Moore ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 09:14PM

michaelgbluth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That is what I figured. However, if it hastens the
> process then I wouldn't mind meeting with him.

Don't do it! You are already an ex member.

Date: April 21, 2014 09:18PM

Why not? I am immune to anything that he would say. I like discussing my disaffection.

It would also be great if I were to go to the meeting at the Church and see some of the members. They would undoubtedly come talk to me and ask where I have been. Then, with a big smile I could tell them that I left the church and was only there to resign. Then I would just stand there smiling as they awkwardly tried to think of something to say.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 09:26PM

Yes you can refuse. It sounds to me like you could actually enjoy that meeting more power to you. Who knows maybe the bishop is actually learning something from you.

Posted by: templeendumbed ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 10:02PM

If you have that attitude and can put some more good material on the bish, I think you should do it, but be sure to call him by his first name or Mr. xxxxx.

I hadn't been to church for 8 years, considered myself ex-mo...long of the short showed up to my court of love....which they didn't want me to come to. Laid some good comments and in their eyes defiance.

If you feel this can be a good opportunity to mock arrogance in others I think you should do it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2014 10:03PM by templeendumbed.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 12:34PM

Perhaps to avoid the appearance that you are still under the authority of the Mormon bishop since you came to a meeting in his building called by him you could add to your comments to the concerned members as you gloat.

"The bishop asked me to help him better understand the truth about Mormonism, so I came in to teach him more." Then ask, "Wold you like to learn more about the Church?"

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 09:53PM

michaelgbluth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That is what I figured. However, if it hastens the
> process then I wouldn't mind meeting with him.

As far as you're concerned, there is no further process--as soon as your resignation letter was accepted by a representative of the church, you were no longer a member. I didn't play their game, and there's no reason you have to.

Posted by: jkjkjkjk ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 09:16PM

Anyone leaving should provide the Bish with the CES letter to review with them IMO

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 07:46PM

Or a copy of "An Insiders View of Mormon Origins" by Grant Palmer.

Posted by: nationalnewscampaign ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 09:23PM

A friend of mine who is a minister in another church thought I should go meet with them. He had some sympathy for LDS bishops having to go through the process dictated to them by the Morg.

I think if you are immune, on good terms with him, and have a chance to talk to members about resigning...go for it!!!

Posted by: Xorol ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 09:30PM

If you refuse to meet with the bishop that can be "interpreted" as "unchristianlike conduct" and you can be exed for that. Seriously, it's happened before. Legally, you don't have to meet, but what doesthe Church care? They are "above the law" or haven't you heard that before?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 09:49PM

Once church authorities have your letter in hand, you are already resigned. The rest is just them spinning their own wheels.

To the OP -- there is no need to meet. Call the bishop if you wish and reassure him that you really do want to resign and that you understand all church "blessings" will be cancelled (at least from the church's point of view.)

Posted by: nationalnewscampaign ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 09:38PM

There is a lot of legal precedent that they can't ex you once you've started resignation proceedings.

In fact, if they start excommunication proceedings and then you start resignation proceedings afterward, they still are on very shaky legal ground if they ex you.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 09:42PM

There's no real reason for a meeting unless it somehow helps your recovery effort.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 09:45PM

Face to face meeting unnecessary...tell him you are out and that you are certain of your decision and his job is to process your resignation forthwith. Anything more is just his inner control freak coming out.

Ron Burr

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 10:00PM

Look at the luminous pyramid, of which you are no longer a part. Your old friend biggie is simply going through the (e)motions; he'd probably just as well not have to meet with you either.

You may have already jumped the gun (in a sense) when you contacted him, asking him if he had your toy. He was probably trying to figure out how to deal with you(r) [situation].. and all the other things on his desk. But if you want to poke wisdom at him, do it, not in the wired office, but in the gym. No appointment needed. You know where he will be next Sunday or Wednesday if you want to meet with him. Walk up and say: let's get that letter moved on shall we.

His job is to just see if you really want out, (above posts) and he can get it over the phone, in person, however you choose, wherever you choose, whenever you choose. He just needs to tell headquarters that you are staying the course, your testiclemany hasn't changed or wavered over the past few days.

You are out already - turn one up if you haven't already. Join the party. Swing back by the church anytime, mingle, smirk, chat- it is a "place of worship", a space for conversation, a peace of heaven, right?: not even close, my brothers and sisters, not even close...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2014 10:08PM by moremany.

Date: April 21, 2014 10:02PM

Thanks for all the input, team. I might write him back saying I just want him to take care of it or I might go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2014 10:02PM by michaelgbluth.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 12:26PM

If you go please update us on bishops reaction when he hears your long list of why you are resigning. I send my bishop an e-mail when we left last year with the reasons.

"Dear Bishop , husband and I have decided to have our names removed of the lds church records. This decision was not done in anger or with hurt feelings. XY was a fantastic RS president and you by far were the best bishop husband and I ever had. Husband also enjoyed XY as EQ president. Why are we leaving the church what has started it? Well I was watching "sister wives" on tv and they were traveling to Nauvoo Illinois and they took a church history tour. Their tour guide said that Joesph Smith was married to 33 wives 11 of them who were already married at the time he married them. I was very disturbed by that information and went online to research and to my surprise it was true! Since July 2012 husband and I have been studying church history from lds sources we went to the temple and have prayed and still many things felt so wrong. Here are our top ten reasons why we are leaving:

- The Book of Abraham
- Polygamy
- Polyandry
- Helen Mar Kimball
- Zina Young
- Mountain Meadows massacre
- Kinderhook plates
- Joseph Smith was a free Mason
- his first vision are multiple accounts that vary
- During the 70s, the psychology department at Brigham Young University experimented with electroshock aversion therapy in an attempt to cure homosexuality.

The list could go on and on why did the church never teach me that Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon by putting his head into a hat? Why does the church keeps it's finances closed? Why does the church spend so much money on City Creek Mall? Why not build more wells in Africa so people can have clean drinking water."

He wrote back

"Hi (my first name),
Thanks very much for your email. While your decision certainly makes me sad, I respect your decision. There are no hard feelings on my part towards you guys. I appreciate you letting me know some of the rationale for your decision."

For me it brought me closure something that I needed, for my husband it was unnecessary.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 12:40PM

I like your list. I think my first one would always have to be across the bow though. Self-claimed prophets that do not prophesy, and when they do prophesy it is about colors of shirts, piercings, hem lengths, and Cola drinks. Prophets like that are not especially helpful on grown-up concerns.

Posted by: John Ferrier ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 01:10PM

Instead of meeting him in his office (his territory), have him over to your house or pick a neutral place like a restaurant.

Don't call him bishop.

Stay in control.

Don't give a long laundry list of items that have caused you to leave. Limit it to at most five.

When he asks about your worthiness or about sinning, decline to answer. Say it's about the church's failings, not yours.

When he warns you of the eternal consequences (loss of sealing so eternal family, etc.), have that list already in your hands and give it to him acknowledging you already know what he thinks they are.

Let him know at some point that you know he thinks it is true, and you respect that. That should stave off the certain to come testimony. Cut him off if he tries to bear testimony anyway by telling him that this is about you resigning, not his personal beliefs. Respectfully, of course.

It sounds like he's a descent guy so it should go well, but don't feel like my have to meet him unless you want to.

Good luck.

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 05:23PM

You resigned a year ago. Your resignation was effective the
moment you sent the letter.

Any further meetings are unnecessary and irrelevant.
You have already resigned.

TSSC likes to pretend otherwise. But that's the way it is.

Posted by: freddo ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 08:08PM

That's fact.
Once you posted it, or pressed send, you were officially out/ resigned.
Period

Posted by: suzanne ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 05:27PM

You should totally go if you want to and totally stay home if you don't. There is no should or should not in this situation. If you do go, return and report!

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 06:02PM

You have no, that is 0, legal obligation to meet with any representative of that organization. Tell them to kiss off!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2014 06:03PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 07:08PM

If the bishop wants to have a meeting, have him meet you at a bar or strip club. You ceased to be a member the moment they received your resignation. If you want to meet with him, do it on your terms, not his.

Posted by: popeyes ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 08:11PM

Just leave.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.