Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ultra ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 11:53AM

Oh the joys of living as a NOM.

So the Bishop called me in and wanted to talk to me about my depression, because about a week ago it was really bad and I threatened to kill myself, and my wife went and consulted with him, or one of the counselors. So I guess I have been the gossip subject of ward counsel.

He said he didn't pretend to be a psychologist, but he did feel inspired to tell me in my own particular circumstances that I should read the scriptures for 20 minutes a day, because...

Life goes so much better with a bottle of Jack Daniels...er...reading about ancient skirt wearing people from the middle east who raised goats and sheep, or people from the Americas who may or may not have existed who may or may not have be a principle ancestor of the American Indians.

And yet there are people, not just in Mormonism who read this stuff everyday. Which begs the question? DO THEY EVEN PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT IT IS THEY ARE READING?

Do their eyes glaze over when Japeth is having his daughter sacrificed because she was the first one to walk out the door to greet him?

Do their eyes glaze over when they read about Absalom having a one on 20 orgy with his fathers concubines on the roof in front of the whole community?

Do their eyes glaze over when Nephi kills a drunk guy to obtain some records, or think it's great how people occasionally get scalped in the Book of Mormon.

I guess they do have these rose colored glasses on where they think that if they read the scriptures each day, their lives will be much better. We are trying to teach our son about GIGO, or garbage in, garbage out, and yet if I tell him to read the 'GOOD' Book, he might find it acceptable to lead a band of warriors into conquering peaceful people who were already inhabiting the area, or think it's okay to go rape your sister because they are hot and then scorn her afterwards, or to go sleep with your daughter in law, or your own father.

I just read about how people should leave father and mother for the gospels sake and man is my day going SO MUCH BETTER.

It's got to be the constant conditioning that life will be better? I suppose that if I was taught to read Lord of the Rings everyday that my life would be better, I could get some sort of placebo effect over time too.

I didn't even mention how many deaths and massacres GOD is responsible for.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: EmmaWho ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 12:02PM

Damn, these are the very burning questions I wish someone in Sunday School would just let loose with.

I once let loose with a similar line of questions in Relief Society. The RS Pres and an old fat woman sitting in the row behind me...they were not pleased with my questions. Hello. Open your eyes, TBMs.

Posted by: sonofzeus ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 12:03PM

We should go by what Brethern have given us as a rating system. Don't participate it if it glorifies violence, drugs, achohol, or sex.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 12:09PM

So does chocolate and beer....

Ron Burr

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 12:14PM

So reading the scriptures daily is "magically delicious"? I didn't know that morg was trying make the scriptures like the cereal "Lucky Charms" LOL!! I wonder if General Mills could sue them over that!!??

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 03:36PM

Ultra, sorry about your depression. I have a suggestion which helped me which is to find someone you can talk to in complete confidence; someone that will not gossip to people that you know. I chose to go the counselor route.

There is something "magically delicious" about getting the heavy load off of your shoulder. Wishing you the best.

Posted by: Dyaval ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 10:31AM

I recently learned the truth about tscc and it threw me into a HUGE depression. I've been trying to figure out what the point of life is if there, I don't believe in god any more and if he is real he's a dick, I've just been taking it one day at a time and trying to tell myself it would hurt my real friends if I took my life.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.