Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 07:07PM

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/12-year-old-boy-dies-following-hiking-accident-255875281.html

Another sad story of a 12 year old boy scout killed on an outing.

News has it he belonged to a church troop in Silverdale, WA.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 07:17PM

The accident occurred while the boys were trying to roll a large dead tree into a lake. Were they supervised?

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 07:25PM

99.9% of my Childhood activities wasn't supervised.
Unfortunately it happens.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 07:27PM

The boys father was with the group.

One of the leaders had to hike out 3 miles and then drive another 10 before getting cell service to call 911.

Weather was too bad for a helicopter rescue.

Posted by: The other Sofia ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 09:01PM

Weather is frequently bad in that area. It's the rain forest.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 03:01AM

I like the fact that the troop had an emergency locator beacon. It's unfortunate that there was nothing emergency personnel could do to help the boy.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 03:04AM

sad for all; why so many dangerous activities?

time will tell who the troop sponsors were.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 07:44AM

My ex TBM was a scout leader. He was an idiot in and out of scouts, yet people would trust him with their children. They had several accidents (including car accidents with his dumbass driving, speeding and tailgating), one of which was during some outing, one child who broke his tibia (really bad) and had to be carried by hand out of a huge gully. Of course, that and other "mishaps" were made into faith-promoting-the- Lord- told- us -this -and- that-to-fix- the - problem-and -happened-for- some- good-reason-spiritual-special-experience in testimony and sacrament meetings. Only in the Mormon church would this type of thing be tolerated.. Makes me want to puke thinking about it. I'm surprised more death don't happen that we hear about.

Posted by: petrouchka ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 01:35PM

This is so sad and tragic. The boy's older brother and father were there on the campout. It seems his coat snagged on the log as it rolled over, and he got pulled under it.

This is indeed a church scout troop. The scout leaders around here are very conscientious and the scouts are generally well-behaved. These things just happen sometimes.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2014 06:08PM by petrouchka.

Posted by: seeking peace ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 05:19PM

He died in his father's arms, a physician, there was nothing he could do. Many members of the family are part of our exmo community. It was a tragic event. So very sad for the entire wonderful family.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 06:21PM

Oh gosh, I'm so sorry. That must have been horrible for his father.

Posted by: templeendumbed ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 06:57PM

I feel that this is the only positive in this situation is that his father and brother were there and didn't have to wonder what happened to son/sibling.

What I don't understand from all of my experiences encountering mormon scout troops in all of my camping/hiking/biking is their irrepressible desire to alter landscapes. Too many of them if not all of them seem to show up with the expectation that it is McDonald's playland for teens.

Posted by: lily ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 08:04PM

Didn't two Mormon scout leaders mess up a rock formation a year or two ago?

Accidents definitely happen, and pointing fingers is just kind of cruel at this point, but I hope people are learning from this stuff and making better choices moving forward.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 07:11PM

When a bunch of boys and men are placed in the woods, shit is going to happen.

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 08:07PM

This.

Instead of having priesthood representatives at girl's camp, I bet it would be a lot more useful to have relief society representatives at scout camp.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.