Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: zenmaster (not logged in) ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 06:31PM

I missed PH today...wrestled with the mattress...I'm sure I missed some good controversy, but oh well...the sleep was good.

My friend did have an interesting meeting to report. He did an impromptu sacrament meeting in a behavioral health unit in UT...everything was business as usual until the leader opened it up for questions and comments...then whammo!!!...one person was an investigator that had been reading the Book of Mormon...he felt good about it but had one serious question...why did the BOM reference horses when they didn't exist in the Americas until years later? My friend said that the leader had to really talk around the issue as far as saying the BOM wasn't perfect...awkward!...the next comment was someone who loved Jesus Christ but had a problem because of organized religion's attitude towards homosexuals...a double whammy...that leader really earned his keep today according to my friend...the crowd had him sweating...actually the leaders wife answered the second individual and had a very unTBM-like accepting stance (my friend was actually a bit shocked but pleasantly surprised...I was too) She even went as far to say she attended an Athiest/Mormon meeting in SLC...the lady actually sounded very progressive :)

Needless to say, my friend had a very entertaining meeting seeing the leaders sweat...2 major controversial subjects within the span of about 10 minutes...can imagine it was crazier than my nutty priesthood meetings :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 11:08PM

LOL! Mormons should have to confront reality more often. Their critical thinking skills need the exercise.

Posted by: The other Sofia ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 07:04AM

Now that would have been a meeting worth attending. LOL

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 07:10AM

The BOM isn't perfect? DUH! Why don't they think about that for a minute, and think about how we were told it's the "most correct book" and inspired of God etc.

On the gay issue, individual Mormons can be as nice and progressive as pie, but they belong to and support a cult that hates gays and teaches gays are misfits and outside God's plan and love.

Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 07:31AM

PRIESTHOOD meeting? Why/how was the leader's WIFE at a Priesthood Meeting? Have things changed that much since I last attended years ago? Maybe the Ordain Women's movement has finally succeeded, but they haven't announced it yet...
Are you sure it wasn't a Sunday School lesson?

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 03:29PM

It was an impromptu sacrament meeting that took place during the third hour (which is when Priesthood is usually held and also when leaders sometimes go out and visit people in hospitals/ their home to give them the sacrament they missed because they couldnt attend)

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 03:02PM

"It's not like we claim that the Book of Mormon is the most
perfect book on earth, or anything."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.