Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Bored2tears ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 03:19PM

The only thing I liked about Church on Sunday was the hymn-singing. Everything else bored me to tears.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: LostAndConfused ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 03:29PM

Oh yes, extremely. Unfortunately, I'm still forced by my parents to go every week!

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 03:37PM

Always.

I was always proud of myself for going though and that made me feel good. LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2014 03:37PM by Greyfort.

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 03:39PM

What I have always liked most about all church services is walking out when the service is overs. Such a relief! Such a wave of happiness!

Date: April 20, 2014 03:44PM

Yeah, it's like getting out at the end of the school day, when all the kids burst out the doors. LOL

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 03:46PM

Posted by: hapeheretic ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 03:48PM

My posterior has never been the same since I left the 3 hour sitting marathon over a decade ago.

Spending the whole day getting all dressed up, sitting there forever in church, then coming home and dreading going back to school and/or work the next day made me less than enthusiastic about church services.

I counted the seconds until it was all over, and that just made it seem all the more boring.

Posted by: CTRringturnsmyfingergreen ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 03:54PM

Without a doubt, the happiest second of my Sunday was the second we drove out of the parking lot. It felt like being released from detention.

Posted by: 64monkey ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 04:04PM

I will never voluntary put myself through anything like that again unless I'm getting 10% of every ones gross income that attends. then I'll gladly sit there for 3 hours and choke it down.

Date: April 20, 2014 04:16PM

64monkey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I will never voluntary put myself through anything
> like that again.

Yeah, no kidding. Same here. I wouldn't even want to find a new church. What on earth for? I'm never putting myself through that again.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 04:07PM

I left it the way I found it -
very much a bore, uninspired & uninspired, dull, drab and dorky.

Posted by: Lori at 51 ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 04:10PM

Mormon Church= Boring

Protestant Church= not boring. More like a celebration. I actually look forward to worship. Who woulda thought?!

Lori

Posted by: nationalnewscampaign ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 04:14PM

when LDS leaders say "endure to the end" they specifically mean three hours of boring church every week!

Posted by: Lilburne ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 04:19PM

It was okay at times.

First, there was the community thing. When you're part of a group where everyone shares the same delusion, you tend to happily chat and contentedly play along focused on your future. It is boring most times, but you get through at least feeling you're progressing through enduring.

Secondly, Doctrinal growth. Lets face it, it might be a myth, but sometimes you pick up a little snippet that threw a different spin on an old doctrine and there was that thought that perhaps you're learning and getting closer to the 'solution'.

However, despite both of those deluded views, the reality looking back was that it was boring as hell. That most members didn't really try. That the lessons were underprepared and the manuals so basic and repetitive that it was mind numbing - making you more desperate to find some meat.

The soap opera of church helped make it manageable, but now I spend time with my family, each weekend we're doing something, family stuff. The church does have some real pluses, but the fact that the leadership are lying makes it an incredibly bitter pill to tolerate swallowing.

Posted by: ec1 ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 04:21PM

Yes.
That's why it's Sunday and I'm here.

Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 04:44PM

I am not sure if it meant I was bored or dirty minded, but I always thought about sex with some of the sisters and wondered howthey were in bed with their funny looking old husbands. without thinking about sex I would not have made it through half my meetings.

Posted by: Krampus! ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 03:08PM

so thatshow the NOMs cope. Interesting stratagey

Posted by: L Tom Petty ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 05:11PM

Always boring...never, ever interesting.

Posted by: White Cliffs ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 05:29PM

The last few times I went--a few times over the last 6 years or so--I noticed that I enjoyed the talks, so long as they weren't from the bishopric or high council members. The talkers were usually well-prepared, they usually cared about how they presented themselves, and I sympathized with what they were doing. It isn't easy to prepare and deliver a good talk, I know from experience.

I absolutely hated the lessons, though. Not well-prepared, usually trying to nibble at the subject and then get someone else to make a stupid comment. Then if they're lucky, they "get a good discussion going," which I hate. Everyone in that church, whether budding apostate or phony hardliner, seems to think they know everything, but can never seem to pull together the facts to support it.

Needless to say, every time the EQP opened his mouth, it was stupid, insincere stuff that he said because he was playing the role. Where do they find these people, anyway?

Posted by: emmahailyes ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 05:48PM

I accompanied by TBM hubby to sacrament this morning, an Easter sacrifice on my part. I said on the way in, well here we go to the "thou shall not service". No joyful noise for us. When we left my DH said, "did you understand any of those talks?" LOL....why does he continue this?

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 06:24PM

It was big yawn fest. The GD teacher was an arrogant little ahole who liked to humiliate people. He must have know better than to go after me, I was just waiting for that little butt head to try.

SM were the worst. Nobody ever had anything to say that wasn't already said a million times before. We didn't have many kids in our ward, so there were no kids doing things to entertain me.

I couldn't make myself go to RS. I tried, but just couldn't do it. It was all about guilt. From beginning to end. To top it off they passed around sign up sheets the whole time. If you didn't sign, you'd get the evil eye. It's probably why some women want the PH, they just want out of RS. I don't know why they think it would be any better.

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 03:12PM

Gospel Doctrine teacher, or God Damn teacher?

=]

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 07:29PM

EXTREMELY. Until I got my first smart phone, that is.

Posted by: exmorphmon ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 07:39PM

Oh yeah! Big time. Same subjects over and over and over. Sometimes I think it was by design to bore everyone into submission.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 07:45PM

Like an earwig boring its way into my brain. It was tedious as well.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 02:40PM

Yes. That is on my list of things I didn't like as a member, but tolerated so long as I thought it was true. It was kind of like eating vegetables that aren't that tasty. It's something you don't like but do, because it will make you better.

Unfortunately, I discovered that the alleged vegetable was just pure lard.

Posted by: EmmaWho ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 03:14PM

Yes, going to church was like eating raw vegetables. That's how I described it too.

Now I still eat raw vegetables as often as I can bear, but realize that tscc is not necessary for health.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 02:44PM

EVERY. SINGLE. MINUTE.

Let's flip this.

Is there a single person out there that EVER - EVER was sad the 3 hour block was over?

When that last 10 minute bit of the sunday block came up, is there a single person who ever once thought "aw man! It's over already?"?

I'm guessing never once in 184 years.

Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 02:44PM

yes i always got bored... I liked going to church to see buddies, and make wise cracks during Sunday School and EQ.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 02:45PM

It was boring growing up in it. As a kid I'd always fall asleep during SM and everything else. As a adult I still fall asleep or play with my phone during SM and the other boring classes. The talks are the same things over and over again. It's not like we've never heard this stuff already! But then again I've never been one for being gung ho on going to church. That's why I was thankful I had to Sundays at Ace for a long time!

My TBM dad is a librarian right now so we sometimes miss Sunday school and Priesthood! Like yesterday!! Yeah!!

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 03:17PM

It would be interesting to know if the library has the Journal of Discourses. Also that book about Mormons and the Negro. A firs edition of Gospel Doctrine would also be a good one.

Will your dad let you hang out in the library? It's one of the best callings because you don't have to go to class.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 02:56PM

I was very TBM but I especially dreaded conference. Most speakers in sacrament meeting were really dry. I definitely looked at the clock more than the speaker.

F&T? If you've heard one testimony you've pretty much heard them all. I would pray for the old-timers to go off the tracks and start telling stories of when they were young.

I loved to speak however. Weird huh?

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 03:03PM

If I actually listened, I was in danger of standing to yell BULLSH*T. So I read, and journaled, doodled, wrote silly notes to my friend's teenage kid. Anything not to hear the message. Year after year...such a fool...I did it to myself.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 03:05PM

If members aren't fully alert, the brainwashing can flow through them unnoticed.

Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 03:11PM

Is the Pope Catholic?
Does a bear poop in the woods?

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 03:36PM

Worse than boring, it was soul-sucking, depressing, abusive. I haven't been to a Mormon sacrament meeting for 8 years, but I still can smell the stuffy air. The cries of the children bothered me in a different way. I'm a mother and love children, but these were the screams of children being imprisoned, with parents' arms around them like straight jackets, forced to sit still in a dirty diaper. They were tired, hungry, often sick. But, respecting children like I do, I always thought that they could sense the hopeless and despair and phoniness of the people. Kids are sensitive to that sort of thing. They know when their parents are stressed out, too.

I always felt that discomfort. To escape, I would draw pictures on the program, write to-do lists, write notes to my friends for after, since we couldn't sit by each other or talk at church. I would write minute-by-minute, what I was going to do after I got out. 12:00 run home. 12:10 change to my shorts and jean jacket. 12:14 Eat a bowl of cereal. 12:15 Call Susie. Focusing on that was like a self-hypnosis. I could, in my mind, flee that boredom and imagine playing with my friends, eating ice cream. It was more interesting to sing all the harmonies of a hymn, switching from soprano to alto to tenor, and bass an octave higher. I would save the paper sacrament cup, and invented 100 different things you could do with a sacrament cup. Now they have plastic cups, but now people have i-phones!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2014 03:39PM by forestpal.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 04:13PM

Is the pope catholic?

Does a bear shit in the woods?

You'd have to be brain dead NOT to find the church boring.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.