Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nevermo1. ( )
Date: April 19, 2014 01:58PM

I am just wondering if any of you here converted because of your family as a child/teen?Was it difficult to transition if so?

I imagine this would be much harder than being B.I.C.,as then at least you would have been used to Mormonism all your life.

Or even converting,as at least this is something you can choose to do.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: April 19, 2014 02:00PM

I thought I was ever so special! Fortunately I got over it. (But only after marrying in the temple, quitting college and popping out three babies by the time I was 24!)

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: April 19, 2014 03:34PM

My family converted when I was 8 or 9, but fortunately we only stuck with it for a year or so. When we were baptized, I really didn't know what was going on - in fact all of us kids were just along for the ride, as was my mom. It was really my dad that had the interest in the lds, and once his interest waned, we were out. That didn't end things, of course, as more than 40 years on, the church still makes periodic attempts at contact with members of my family.

Posted by: bewarethetea ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 02:55AM

My parents told all of us last year, I was 14. I felt more liberated than anything, especially now that it was OK to like girls. My mom actually apologized for telling us the truth, still goes to church, and reverts back to a lot of my teachings. Like me, it's as if my dad and my Brother #1 were never Mormons to begin with. Brother #2 is a malleable goody-two-shoes who just thinks whatever he's told to think.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 09:03AM

My dad and stepmom converted when I was about 8; went to live with them around 12; baptized at 14.

I wouldn't know if it's easier to be BIC or a convert because I've only had the experience of being a convert. From talking to my gay BFF, being a convert in the mission field is a little bit like being gay in the hetero world. Some people make fun of you and some people want to kick your ass and some people want to take advantage of you, so you put up your guard and keep your shit on the down-low.

I quit when I was about 18 -- as soon as I got out of the house. I didn't really get baptized because I believed it all. I got baptized because it was going to be the only way my dad would trust me and I would be able to have some semblance of a normal teenager life. Otherwise, I didn't think he'd let me go to football games and dances and date and such. If he thought I was TBM, he'd trust me more to let me out of the house.

Many years after high school, one of my best girlfriends from that era came to visit me. She was talking to one of my current friends, who asked her, "What was Dogzilla like back in high school?" And my friend gave the BEST answer; this so perfectly summed it up: "Well, it kinda seemed like she lived two different lives and had to switch back and forth." Yep. Similar to how many of my gay friends lived before they came out.

There were very few situations and places in which I could be my true self; I cherished those moments. Most of the time, I pretended to be something I wasn't. I quit because I hated doing that. I couldn't stand suppressing my true self for one more minute.

Posted by: sincere9 ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 10:56AM

I was BIC but my DH and his family joined the church when he was young. Our families are so different.

The TBMs in my family go through the motions of being members and it seems like it is more cultural and traditional for them to be members. They just don't know anything else. Of course, my family isn't really leadership material so they haven't developed the self-righteous attitude I see in some of the leaders. And my family doesn't talk about spiritual experiences or bear testimony to each other or cry.

My DHs family is so emotional about the church. They are always talking about their callings, going to the temple, and about miracles in their lives. I've talked to my 2 SILs about their conversion (my DH was too young to remember), and they said it was such a wonderful experience. It wasn't hard to transition because they were getting a lot of attention and it was such an emotional high. And they had an instant ward family. (This was in CA in the 70s)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.