Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: April 19, 2014 04:23AM

Don't DATE CULTers when you are not in the CULT. You have a better chance of winning the Utah state lottery than making a go of a relationship when one is a CULTer and the other one is not. Just save yourselves the heartache from the get-go and associate with non-CULTers. You WILL be much happier.
Reading all of the threads about broken hearts because someone is dating a CULTer speaks volumes. DON'T SET YOURSELF UP FOR FAILURE.....
I'm trying to help you by saying this. Please listen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 19, 2014 07:44AM

Long term relationships can sometimes survive but will NEVER be as good as finding someone who shares a religious point of view.

Mormons are driven to try to change their spouses and family members. This is a poor foundation for mutual understanding and a happy life.

My advice is to stay away from cultists if you don't want to comply with their demands.

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: April 19, 2014 07:54AM

On the other hand, if I hadn't, I would never have met you delightful people.

Mormonism is a trainwreck, and it made me almost physically ill to care so much about someone who was involved in it, but past that it is a very entertaining trainwreck.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 19, 2014 08:09AM

It seems like we've had many people here lately who have had their hearts broken (or who will likely have their hearts broken) by being in a relationship with a Mormon. Active Mormons tend to take a "my way or the highway" attitude when it comes to religion. You might be one of the few lucky ones, but the odds are against you.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 19, 2014 09:32AM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You might be one of the few
> lucky ones, but the odds are against you.

I guess that's why they go for it anyway. They always figure that maybe they'll be amongst those lucky few who do work out. But as you said, the odds are definitely not good. I'm not so sure that the heartache is worth is.

Posted by: SteelHollow ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 12:56AM

Funny how we all think we are the outlier that can survive the odds and prevail. I'm falling victim to that notion, but will still try. Wish me luck! ha ha

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 01:09AM

maybe the luckiest EVER. Twenty-two years and counting.

I kissed an RM and he turned into a Prince!

Posted by: oldklunker ( )
Date: April 19, 2014 08:19AM

I meet my wife during this trainwreck. I would endure a thousand + trainwrecks to live my life with this woman.

She is a TBM and always will be...I love her more than I despise the church, so I will put everything I have into making sure she knows that I love her more than life it's self.

Life is not perfect, the love of a good woman sure makes it feel close to perfect.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: April 19, 2014 08:34AM

When I met my awesome husband, he was an active Mormon. I am a nevermo. He is now an exmo. But then, he was a convert who never really drank the Kool-Aid anyway. His ex daughters, on the other hand, are way indoctrinated. But they disowned him and no longer have anything to do with us.

I'm glad I gave him a chance, even if I generally agree with the OP's advice. Besides, knowing him led me here, where I have met some truly great folks!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2014 08:35AM by knotheadusc.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 19, 2014 09:36AM

you learn something new every day! I didn't know he was active when you met him. You made a good choice though :)

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: April 19, 2014 09:49AM

Yep. I met him in a place online where you'd never expect to meet Mormons… Although, now that I've read about Utahns, perhaps that was a faulty impression on my part. Anyway, when we met, he was still going to church, living the lifestyle, and told me he "knew" the church was "true". We met in person about 18 months later, after he and his ex divorced. He was still living the lifestyle and going to church, but didn't mind that there was no chance I would be converting (and my dad saw the BoM my husband gave me and freaked, but there was NO chance I would be LDS).

A few months after we started dating, he bought me some beer. I left what was left of it in his fridge for my next visit. When I got back there, I asked him where the beer was and he said he drank it! He also had a coffee maker. That was the beginning of his deconversion… the garmies were next, and boy was I delighted about that!

When he told his ex about us and let her know he was going to propose, she asked if I was in the church. He said I wasn't and wouldn't be. She said in a very low voice, "You must love her very much." (implying that he was giving up a chance at the CK for me)

He said he did… and the rest is history. I could not have met a more perfect husband for me. If I had "run" because he was LDS, I'd probably still be single. We were also lucky in that the only people he cares about who are LDS are his daughters. No one else in his family is Mormon.

That being said, though, I think my case is pretty rare. The OP is probably right that most people should not invest too much in an interfaith relationship that involves Mormons. Relationships are hard enough without that religion thing...

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 19, 2014 09:53AM

that's awesome. I tried to do the catholic/Mormon combo when I was young and it was really hard. So I'm glad he came to his senses quickly in your case

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: April 19, 2014 09:34AM

AND......................

look at all the bandwidth Susan and Eric would save here, if nons quit dating mormons...

(sorry..couldn't resist..)

carry on............:)

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: April 19, 2014 09:40AM

unless your Larry King

Posted by: wideawake ( )
Date: April 19, 2014 10:44PM

speaking from experience I second what verilyverily says. Mine was jack and deliberately hid it from me, acted like a normal person then did a 180 on me when it came time to return to the fold (which I was supposed to do too). knowing what i know now i would have asked some important questions from the getgo and knowing what he was I would have run far and fast enough to break any standing record for sprint or distance running. the thought of it all and how creepy and brainwashed he is makes my skin crawl.

long and short - if they don't immediately reveal as mo's ask the question. if they are RUN FOR THE HILLS!

Posted by: snuckafoodberry ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 09:33PM

Jackmos are one onion peel away from slipping back in to the whole shebang. Just ask me. Ha! And when they do, they do it with renewed fervor!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2014 09:34PM by snuckafoodberry.

Posted by: mew ( )
Date: April 19, 2014 11:06PM

Utah doesn't have a lottery. Good point though, verily . :)

Posted by: missmuse ( )
Date: April 19, 2014 11:28PM

My current adventure in dating was an inactive mormon... his brother got back from his mission and he suddenly became obsessed with temple worthiness and is on the journey back to TBM. He is now convinced that he shouldn't drink coca-cola and should watch his language. I'm trying to determine when I should run for the hills.

Inactive members can easily reactivate, and should be dated with utmost caution... Keep them away from bright lights, and never feed them after midnight.

Posted by: wideawake ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 02:53AM

missmuse Wrote:

>
> Inactive members can easily reactivate, and should
> be dated with utmost caution... Keep them away
> from bright lights, and never feed them after
> midnight.

+! to that - especially if they were raised with it, the brainwashing kicks back in easily!

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 01:50AM

I was an exmo when I met my nevermo hubby. Two years into our marriage we both were baptized mormon.

Three years ago we both left together after 20 years of being TBM.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 02:06AM

Religion should never be an issue in a marriage.

Protestants marry Catholics marry atheists marry Jewish marry Democrats marry Republicans marry people from other countries marry people who change religions many times. All this is as important to the marriage as food preferences. Big deal. People are dynamic. People have a right to change their mind.

I know a lot of married couples who differ in religious views, and most of the time this is all right--unless--one of them is a cult fanatic.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 08:53AM

forestpal Wrote:
> Religion should never be an issue in a marriage.

My Catholic grandmother was very upset that my mother had married a non-Catholic, even though my Dad is the best guy in the world.

They had to get re-married in the Catholic Church 2 years after they were married in the Anglican Church, just to shut her up.

My Dad's Mom hated Catholics.

My parents weren't even church-goers.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 02:22AM

I know Utah doesn't have a lottery. That was part of my whole point.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 09:39AM

Mixed marriages of other religions should never be discussed in the same breath with Mormon-gentile marriages.

Every one of you who has a working mixed marriage is not married to a TBM. You cannot have an actual committed marriage to a Mormon because rule one in Mormonism is that the church comes before the marriage.

Rule one to the non-mo is that the marriage comes first.

In the temple, Mormons marry the church and commit everything they have to the corporation and then to each other conditionally, only if they are faithful to the laws, ordinances of the MOrmon church.

The Mormon partner will be associating with regular TBM Mormons who will lavish a great deal of pity on him/her because their whole point of existence, the whole "My Turn on Earth" has been ruined because of their gentile spouse.

Women will stroke his handsome cheek, telling him they hope he picks them when he is assigned faithful, good spouse in the CK. Men will tell women it is a damned shame she will never have the priesthood holder she deserves to bless her home with the presence of the Holy Spirit and to have the example of a good man for her children.

Marriage is difficult and if you add the above to trouble at home about all the usual marital issues, you can see you have a recipe for Hell on Earth.

A little note about men who are courting. They are not lying when they pretend to be jack mormon, exmormon, about-to-leave Mormon, or less than devoted. At the moment their pants are stirring, it's all true. They could care less about Joseph Smith's teachings when they think they have met the woman who can make them happy. (Reread that sentence! LOL!)

When they come out of the stupor of infatuation, or when you do if you're the Mormon, the desire to rejoin the tribe surges back in full force. Usually over how to raise the children.

Mormons want their children to have the same childhood experiences they did. We all do. And when your two recollections differ that wildly, you are in for trouble.

My son married a former Mormon who was so exmo she was a hoot. She made fun of the church just like we all did. She was his childhood sweetheart whom he married because we lived in Utah and that's who his friends and girlfriends were--Mormon. Making a long, painful story short, the isolation from the religious tribe--and her family-- was so difficult for her that she (and he) started using drugs to ease the pain.

After a few years of marriage to the love of their lives, they got a divorce. She went back to the warm embrace of the we-think-for-you tribe and married a man who could take her to the temple. He continued with his addictions for years, eventually quitting weed, cocaine, cigarettes, and just recently alcohol.

Of course the cirrhosis, the hepatitis, the lung collapsing (twice) are all collateral damage to a body abused for so long.

His next relationship was ruined because he just never got over the Mormon girl he loved since he was a child. He's in his forties now and fears he will never love again and that Mormonism ruined his life. He blames the pressure put on her by the church and her family--always egging her on to leave him.

I wish I could open a portal to the past and just show you a little video of us clearing out the storage unit that contained his former life with his wife. There was never a couple so much in love. We both cried buckets as we threw away gifts they'd given one another, cards, dried flowers, photos --beautiful wedding photos--and the souvenirs of their travels together.

So much heartbreak cannot be avoided in life, but this one can.

Just as you would avoid an Amish person because you don't want the lifestyle, avoid a Mormon. And if he says he's not that into it, just picture his back being rubbed by a single Mormon woman because he's gone back to Sacrament and she's consoling him by reminding him that he'll be assigned someone better than you in the Celestial Kingdom.

After you have birthed his children, washed his clothes, cooked his food, cleaned his house and warmed his bed for twenty years.

Kathleen Waters

Posted by: Knight in Waiting ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 11:41PM

I think if I had known beforehand I might have tried harder to avoid where I'm at now.

Although, prior to dating, Princess was a jackmo and so was I, but I was leaning more towards the full-blown atheist side. However, I foolishly tried my hardest to believe in the cult, and that's what ultimately got me to decide on going on a mission. Thankfully, the temple managed to kill my testimony and everything that had accumulated on my shelf before dating merged with all of the new information and exploded. Leading me here.

So, I suppose in the long run, it's benefited me because now I'm breaking off the shackles of Mo'ism, but it's cursed me with the tragedy of loving a jackmo..

Yeah, I definitely agree with you, verilyverily.

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 08:22PM

Posted by: Knight in Waiting ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 08:06AM

Wow, what an incredible song. That most definitely does put things into perspective. Thanks for sharing that with me.

Posted by: al-iced ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 09:56AM

Seems to me that with so many tbms divorcing their unbelieving spouses, Utah ought to be a veritable gold mine when it comes to finding an available partner who is a "good exmormon".

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 09:10AM

I dated a JW a few years ago. There's a scripture in the bible about being equally yoked. My experience with the J-dub taught me that being "equally yoked" is just as important if you are an atheist as it is if you're a fanatic. Religion/spirituality is one of those things that permeates every single aspect of life.

Sleeping and eating = prayers first.
Sex = some things are "bad" or taboo.
Food and drink = Muslims don't eat pork. Buddhists don't eat meat at all and neither to Seventh Day Adventists. Many religions don't let you smoke or drink.
Clothing = Modesty means different things to different people.

If you think about it, your spiritual worldview informs every choice you make in your daily life. "Yoking" yourself to someone who is on the other end of the spectrum and unable to compromise because of religious beliefs will only cause conflict.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 02:00PM

It's okay, I found a good therapst and lots of others who understood me...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.