Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: byebye ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 02:40AM

It really is hard to leave a cult. I miss them more than they miss me. I guess I only had fake friends also. I have been in this congregation almost 30 years. My husband attends without me. No one has called or asked what is going on. The bishop lives next door and he ignores me. I have not said anything to anyone. I just finished up my calling and called it quits for life. I do miss the good (sheep) people.

I got a call the other day asking if I would give a short financial presentation at Enrichment. I said yes, but I am wondering if that was smart. I am trying to quit them. Why did I say yes? What do you all think?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 02:48AM

"..a short financial presentation at Enrichment"

Your presentation should be about how oppressive, destructive, and harmful paying a full 'tithing' can be to many struggling families, especially given the net worth and estimated annual income through tithing that LDS Corp enjoys.

As for generally ignoring you, they haven't noticed you're gone. Have they asked your husband why you're not there when he goes to Church? What has he been saying about you?

Posted by: long time gone ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 04:10AM

I like Ragnar's suggestion, but it sounds like you are very sensitive and vulnerable right now. Attending that meeting will stir up lots of emotions and invite all kinds of comments that may hurt you. Giving a presentation will be even harder. You will likely experience a great deal of inner turmoil as you wrestle with what you know you're "supposed" to be saying and what you actually want to say.

If you really want to go for closure, or something like it, then go on your own terms. It sounds to me, though, like you should call her back and politely (or not so politely, your choice) decline. Why put yourself through that when you're clearly in a very difficult stage of recovery?

Posted by: byebye ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 10:57AM

I appreciate the advice. I need to find some new friends.

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 11:01AM

...if the Bishop lives next door and ignores you, that should give you an idea of your worth to them. Unless you are paying tithing or holding down a calling, you are being "politely shunned." Time to move on, I'd say...........

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 11:17AM

I was also asked to give a presentation For an enrichment class after I quit going to church. I told them no.

If you do decide to go ahead and do that, maybe you could teach them how their money can grow over time. Even if they are only saving 10% of their income.

Posted by: koriwhoremonger ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 12:14PM

If you can help somebody with financial information go ahead and help. I don't think there is any danger of being sucked back in. I'll bet the exact opposite happens.

Even a little bit of space and time away from the church is enough to gain new perspective. When you return you hear and see things a little differently and the difference can be shocking. If you get mobbed with a bunch of shoulder rubs and plastic smiles welcoming you back you won't feel loved, you'll feel pitied and manipulated. And that is exactly what is happening. The believers don't feel it because they are immunized by their weekly attendance.

If nobody says anything then you'll know you haven't yet been discussed in Ward Council and the sheep haven't been advised about you being a project.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 12:28PM

what happens each sunday at the Morg is a Total crap-shoot Except the routine.

If u wanna take a backwards look at TSCC, how it hypnotizes people... go for it!

Posted by: apawst8 ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 12:32PM

Definitely do not go to another meeting. They're trying to reel you back in and going to a meeting just gives them encouragement to keep trying to get you back.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 12:46PM

There is nothing that says you SHOULD go give a presentation. There is no obligation there. And I'm assuming they didn't offer to pay you for your expertise because they never do.

This is probably an attempt to reel you back in. I've been in a few RS presidencies, and getting 'inactive' women to help at homemaking meetings is standard procedure. I doubt it would work on you, but you don't need to take part in their little game unless you actually WANT to share what you know or see some old acquaintances.

Posted by: cynthia ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 02:03PM

I sing in a double trio of very TBM's, only two of them know I don't believe anymore. I hadn't attended church at all for a year and was asked if our group would put on a Christmas program for the RS social. I felt I should ask the other ladies since we didn't have anything going, and they wanted to do the program. I was extremely uncomfortable. Ladies were coming up and telling me how much they missed me, blah, blah, and I won't ever do it again. I'll say thank you for asking but no.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.