Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mrcoffee84 ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 11:19PM

So I was talking with my TBM, temple working parents tonight. We still maintain a good relationship despite me leaving and my non-believer status for many years. We talked about my recent move, my new job, and my partner's family. We also talked about the return of Cosmos, and Carl Sagan, and (IMHO) how the religious right is destroying science opportunities and how I don't understand how anyone can be religious and believe in hard, evidence-based science at the same time. To my mom it "reaffirms her belief in God" (not quite sure how, but ok). Oh, she also said that last week she overheard the Primary sing "Follow the Prophet" and nearly broke down in tears. I almost busted out laughing when she said that.

But one thing struck me. My mom has asked it before, and I answered it the same way I always do. She asked me if she could have my scriptures when I die, the same set that was given to me on my 8th birthday just before I was baptized. I've always said no and asked why she keeps asking. She said "But you don't even use them anymore. You don't believe anymore, so why keep them?" I replied "it's the same reason why I still keep up with the church (listen to GC, come here to this board, etc.). For 27 years it was the church was the biggest aspect of my life and my most vested interest. I was very emotionally attached to it and to all of a sudden to remove ALL aspects from my life would have been tough, and to keep the most cherished mormon parts of my life still around is what I knew would work best for me, despite me not ever reading them. That's why I haven't really deleted any mormon friends from Facebook either, only the crazy religious zealot ones. I'm not, as I'm sure most people aren't, very good going 'cold turkey'".

How she thinks I'm going to die before her is a little unsettling. But have any of your been asked why you still keep your scriptures or still watch/listen to GC? Was this a good answer on my end?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2014 09:06PM by Susan I/S.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: TheOtherHeber ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 11:38PM

I'm not out of the Church for long, just some four months, but I've decided to keep my scriptures, along with all of my diaries and photo albums from my mission. They're part of who I was for my entire life. I still have the scripture set I've used throughtout seminary, ibstitute, my mission and my five years as a bishop.

Posted by: nationalnewscampaign ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 08:26PM

Wow! @ TheOtherHeber, you've covered a lot of ground very quickly. From Bishop to ExMo in under 6 months. I hope you're finding some support here. If I prayed I'd pray for you but I don't so, I'll just say I hope you are doing well and I'm glad it sounds like you are.

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 12:30AM

Plus, it's nice to have an old set around so that when they change the way things are worded, you have some evidence to show the TBMs who instantly claim that nothing has ever been altered....

The part about getting your things when you die is just a little weird, but then she probably assumes that you will die young from the effects of your sinful, non-believing lifestyle.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 08:35PM

Well, you know how it's a sure thing that if you leave the church you'll die pretty soon. That's how life works, right?

TBM's sure have some crazy notions of what will happen to you if you leave. They love to have revelations about how miserable you are not being a mo.

Pay no attention. Tell her if you die first, she can have them. That is, unless you want them to be buried with you so you can read them in the next life.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 09:13PM

That is rather odd, they are yours. I suppose mine are around here in a box that hasn't been opened for 20 years. However, I do know where my Great Grandparents are. They went to their EXMO oldest daughter (one of the original Interesting Sinners) and then she gave them to me :) When asked to give them to TBMs I say no how, no way, NOT YOURS. They provide an occasional interesting glimpse into their personalities, looking at things they underlined or made notes about. I consider them family history and I am part of that family (even though I would very much like to forget it). I caught my cousin trying to steal them once. It did not go well for her.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 11:39PM

I kept the triple that was my dear parents....everything else went in the landfill in 2012.

Ron Burr

Posted by: Rusty Shackleford ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 11:43PM

I bought a fresh set of LDS scriptures right before the 2013 revision came out. The 2013 revision, of course, is what the church has posted online now.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 19, 2014 12:07AM

It would be nice if everyone kept their "scriptures" just to see what changes TSCC keeps making.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.