Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: peterlynched ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 09:56PM

I have to vent. I came out as a non-churchgoer (everyone knows) and hinted with a moderate amount of subtlety at my apostasy. I work in the valley, and there is not a single nevermo there, just one that got baptized cause her friends did and is a run of the mill Christian now.

Holy. Fucking. Shitballs. Mormons talk about Mormon bullshit so much it blows my mind. I want to keep my job, so I keep my views to myself. But some of the things they say are mind-boggling.

"Faith and logic don't mix". It's amazing to realize that, and just be fine with it.

"Baptizing priesthood holders is more important". In your mythological world, women have less need of salvation?

And this gem from a highly logical graduate with a degree of chemistry, "No one can convince me Mormonism isn't true, because I felt a presence with me this one time on my mission and I knew it was a dead relative". That experience (whether real or not) somehow proves the veracity of your particular faith?

I remember, because I'm not far removed, how it was. But seeing how really intelligent people just throw logic completely out the window is just batshit crazy. Wow.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2014 06:26PM by Susan I/S.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: baura ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 10:02PM

peterlynched Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "No one can convince me
> Mormonism isn't true, because I felt a presence
> with me this one time on my mission and I knew it
> was a dead relative". That experience (whether
> real or not) somehow proves the veracity of your
> particular faith?

The event that leads to it is not important, but the "No one
can convince me Mormonism isn't true because . . . " is all
that matters. The "because" could be "I once saw a shooting
star," or "my grandmother overcooked the brussel sprouts," --
doesn't matter.

On the other hand NO amount of evidence is considered enough
if it leads you to reject the Church. To TBMs evidence and
reason are not something they use to find truth but to avoid
facing truth.

Posted by: exldsdudeinslc ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 10:14PM

I hear you. I don't think I realized until I was out just how much TBMs talk about it. I'm not far removed either and I remember I was probably part of it, but yeah...from our perspective now you just want to yell at them to wake up and start talking about something logical and worthwhile.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 10:19PM

religion allowed as a Wedge between people (?)

naw, Mormonism / Mormons wouldn't stoop to that... would they?

if what's happening crosses to religious persecution / or Any discrimination, see an atty.

ANY form of favoritism could be considered unlawful if not illegal; it is TOTALLY INAPPROPRIATE for an employer (Except the Morg, OF COURSE) and exposes them to legal nightmares!

Date: April 17, 2014 10:49PM

I don't feel discriminated against in a work sense. Sometimes a bit of a social outsider. If I voiced my views, I would probably get fired for some creative reason that was unrelated.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 10:26PM

Things I've heard Mormons say at work:

My wife told me I can't have any friends who drink beer.

We should be able to marry fourteen-year-old girls, because they're easier to train.

Kolob is the governing planet. It sets the clock of the universe.

None of my children will talk to me. (this is my favorite)

Date: April 17, 2014 10:48PM

Haha yeah, choosing church over children is something my mom does. She still doesn't know about me, and I have no intention of talking to her about it.

Posted by: neverevermo ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 10:58PM

I can relate... can you spend your time away from them? better alone and antisocial than feeling suicidal or homocidal...

plus, if you keep rolling your eyes and slapping your forehead against things, your eyes may stick like that ;P

Posted by: Happy Hare Krishna ( )
Date: April 19, 2014 09:18AM

Faith and logic DO mix, and should mix to ensure sane belief. Faith and logic, from a theistic perspective, are BOTH given by God.h

Posted by: Devo ( )
Date: April 19, 2014 09:27AM

You really have to take a step or two away from it to fully realize how much bullshit you were fed AND enjoyed so that you could be a TBM. The best comparison I think is North Korea, where everyone MUST profess to love and cherish the "Dear Leader" or else end up in a work camp... the equivalent of being forced to go to seminary all day every day until you really DO believe!

Posted by: brother not of jared ( )
Date: April 19, 2014 10:05AM

How realistic is it to plan a move to some other part of the country?

I don't see things getting any better for you in your current locale. So a change of scenery may be long overdue.

Date: April 19, 2014 04:51PM

At some point that is in the works. Just not right now. It would be bad for my career.

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: April 19, 2014 10:31AM

I, too, am surrounded by non-stop TBM chatter at work (well, at one of my jobs, anyway).

Noise-cancelling earbuds are awesome. Even if you can't listen to music while you work, they'll muffle some of the idiocy. And they only cost about $14 at Walmart.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 19, 2014 10:39AM

I briefly worked for a place here on the Wasatch front where I overheard the pres of the company discussing hiring someone. "he's a good member of the ward, I think we should give him the job" Screw his educational or work background, he was a member of the club so he was obviously going to get the job. It made me sick.

Posted by: Rusty Shackleford ( )
Date: April 19, 2014 11:13AM

I worked for a company near the SLC airport that was owned/operated by a Mormon (who frauduently told everyone that he had invented VOIP). His center manager was an extreme pervert/sexual harasser who was also Mormon, and merely relocated to corporate when his "promotion couch" secrets came out. Plenty of people were promoted or fired based on whether or not they were TBM. The center is now managed by TBM Polynesians, who will only hire other TBM Polynesians.

Date: April 19, 2014 11:19AM

people say it doesn't happen in Utah, but it totally does. If I ever want to lie, I have my pioneer stock/history to use, but I don't want to get a job that way...even though it would be easy to pretend. Once I finish my education, I am so out of here.

Posted by: txnevermo ( )
Date: April 19, 2014 01:52PM

I think it's impossible for Mormons not to talk about their church. There are a few Mormons in my PTA group (which I'm leaving after this school year!) and they can't help but talk about it. One of the girls I have seen probably 30 times over the last few years and every.single.time she has brought up something about it. If there's ever another Mormon they talk together about everything that is going on in their church. It's like they have nothing else going on in their lives. I grew up in Utah, so sadly, I know all the things they're talking about and it disturbs me.

I really don't see members of other churches do this. I grew up in a church and am friends with many people who also go to my church. We can go months without talking about anything church related. Maybe we just aren't as holy. Oh well.

ETA: I'm sorry you have to deal with this. It's nice to be out of Utah because it's fairly easy to avoid those crazy people. You should try it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2014 01:53PM by txnevermo.

Date: April 19, 2014 03:23PM

she is probably hoping you will pick up on her so ever amazing words and convert. I do agree though, if you are super Mormon, that is your world. There is nothing else to talk about.

Posted by: Ansel;666 ( )
Date: April 19, 2014 03:14PM

Worse, the BYU football talker. NO ONE F'n CARES!

Date: April 19, 2014 04:55PM

Ironically, I am still a BYU fan. Go figure. Sports loyalties can be as illogical as religion I guess.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.