Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: LostAndConfused ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 06:40PM

How you question a Mormon teaching or belief, and ask why we do it, and people just say "We don't need to know. The prophet said so. That's all that's important." Even if it makes no sense! Like not wearing sleeveless shirts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mew ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 06:49PM

Preach it! I agree.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 06:49PM

Young cute hot girls should never wear anything sleeveless. The old men that run things can only thing about the sex they never had and cute girls showing their shoulders is such a turn on.

Posted by: crissykays ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 09:36PM

Its crazy but I had a crazy experience myself. When my daughter was in YW I was a counselor and took the girls to a youth dance we have to drive over 100 miles to get to our stake center. Anyway it was the time somebody declared flipflops were not appropriate attire. When we arrived I let my daughter enter and was visiting with some of the other leaders. I noticed a young man sitting under a tree when I arrived and asked about him. I was then told that because the young man had on flipflops he was asked to leave. I WAS LIVID, I could not believe they did that, I looked down at my own feet and I had flip flops on they were fancy but flip flops all the same. The other ladies had a self righteous attitude and I seriously asked them if Christ showed up would they really ask him to leave if he was wearing them and if they thought it would matter to him. The look on there face was priceless I think I made them actually think for a change then I said I have flip flops on should I leave? I thought it was awful and btw this boys parents are very poor and it was prob. all he had. It really made me ill to witness thats just another crazy story of the BS they can think of

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 10:21PM

Can't wait for the LDS encyclical to go out that no one should attend church without proper shoes and socks.

Hear that noise? It's the south-of-the-equator stats dropping...

Kathleen Waters

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 11:13PM

Sure, the leaders can do flip flops, but the members can't wear them.

"I stepped on a pop top, and blew out my flip flop."
--Jimmy Buffet

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 11:18PM

The islanders, Samoa, Tonga, etc. wear them or nothing at all. I had a missionary who went to Tonga, came home with health issues and then reassigned in my area. He said that's the normal foot attire there.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 09:46PM

Was always my problem with the church...I love research...the Cult hates and mistrusts those that do...fuck 'em.

Ron Burr

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 09:54PM

No need to .... think.

That's been done.

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 10:12PM

It bugs me, too.

Posted by: exldsdudeinslc ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 10:15PM

I think it's a relief for members to say stuff like that because then they're not accountable for any of it. It's like "well someone higher than me says it's true so even though it sounds crazy or illogical...well don't blame me! It wasn't my idea!"

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 12:20AM

yeah, I guess for some it's hard enuf to have to run around and DO things, but to have to THINK about things too...

they tried the sentiment, probably to see how it would go, if the members would freak out and when they didn't, the guys in at COB must have thrown a party for themselves!

Now they have all the money that would have been spent on janitorial services. And if people need to choose between rent or tithing, well that thinking has also already been done for them now.

Wonder what's next.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 12:41AM

I was disgusted when they started to make a big deal out of slip flops. Really? How stupid can you get?

I was in my 50's, I wore some kind of flip flop shoe every sunday in the summer from then on. They weren't the plain flip flops, but they were still the same basic design. Nobody said a word to me.

One Sunday I was wearing hot pink flip flops with a low heel on them. They had a leather flower on top, so it wasn't real obvious they were flip flops. A 13 yo girl told me that she loved my shoes. She wore the same size as me. When sacrament meeting was over I took my shoes off, drove to her house and left them in a gift bag on her front porch. I told her to wear them with love.

She wore those shoes every Sunday during the summer.

She was a good kid. Her parents were really struggling. I felt like she needed some encouragement. She needed someone to recognize her efforts. She was a straight A student who didn't get any attention.

The next year my husband was her ss teacher. He got a much bigger bonus than we expected. We took her on a shopping spree, and let her buy anything she wanted. We tried on shoes and clothes for 6 hours. During that time she told me that she was going to go to college, get a degree, and never be poor again! It was worth every penny just to hear those words. I believed her. I really think that one shopping trip changed her life.

Her family has sine moved away. It wouldn't surprise me if we heard from her again some day in the future.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.