Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: OlMan ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 05:36PM

I want to stay sharp and in touch with people, particularly our LDS neighbors. So tomorrow I'll go 1 on 4 with the kids in white shirts and gnaw some good Asian food at the same time.

Have you any suggestions for things I should bring up? I intend to be nice, friendly, positive, non-threatening, not contentious.

BTW I haven't been here in months. Hello all.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 05:45PM

I would bring up the new essays

Posted by: OlMan ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 05:55PM

Could you explain what the new essays are?

Posted by: oneflewwest ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 05:58PM

There is a sticky on the main page with links to all of them.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1180178

Basically the church's attempt to obfuscate the difficult issues.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 05:59PM

OLman

^^^This is probably what the elders reply will be. lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2014 06:00PM by madalice.

Posted by: oneflewwest ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 06:04PM

I agree with madalice, they likely won't have any clue what they are.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 06:06PM

but that's the point. Catch them off guard using words from their own leaders

Posted by: Devo ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 06:23PM

Ask them the "golden question"... what do you know about the Church? Do you want to know more??

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 06:46PM

Ask them if they believe the church represent's Jesus' plan of free choice, then why does the church punish people with Courts of Love.

Say you are just wondering if the church really DOES follow Jesus. It's been a concern ever since you read that Jesus said it didn't matter what went into your mouth, but what came out of it. You know, because of the Word of Wisdom.

Does Jesus change his mind?

Do the prophets change their mind?

What about when the Bible says that Jesus is the last prophet?

Have fun and be sure and let us know how it works out.

Kathleen Waters

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 07:29PM

Talk about where they're from, and what their hobbies are, and what they plan on doing when they get home. When religion comes up, give them an indifferent "been there, done that, not interested anymore" attitude. Explain why if they pursue. Look bored if they start preaching or testimony bearing. When they ask if there's anything they can do for you, say "no, but if any of you want a ride to the airport, give me a call."

Enjoy your meal.

Posted by: vh65 ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 10:50PM

One of those lds.org essays is about the multiple versions of the first vision. There are links to actual copies of the historical documents from the Joseph Smith papers. The first one is half in his handwriting - the only actual thing about it he wrote himself. It is kind of cool, if you are a missionary giving the discussions on it, right? The reason he went to pray is different from what they will expect. Only one being of light shows up. Version 2 is closer to the one they grew up with; version 3 has lots angels there too. You might print something out and share it...

Posted by: Leo Walsh ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 10:54PM

Work the Book of Abraham in there. You were reading an article on Mormonism and it mentioned people leaving because of the boa problems so you looked it up and...

Posted by: Kolob Kousin ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 11:08PM

Ask them what they know about Kolob. let them know that you understand that according to the Book of Abraham (another testament of Joseph Smith) that our sun is lit by the reflected light from Kolob, and ask them if they know if astrophysicists have been able to locate this source of reflected light that is suposedly powering our sun.

http://youtu.be/TX6kWHf9i3o

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 10:39PM

There are many points to discuss, if you are interested and they are willing. Encourage them to think.

jtp took the words right out of my mouth. Please put then back.jk - too funny, but really. OK

Have fun.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 28, 2014 09:19PM

How did meeting with-dinner go with the mishies go the other day?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 11:35PM

Crack open a beer in their presence....I would...and if they object...invoke the "my house...my rules"....I would without hesitation.

Ron Burr

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: April 28, 2014 09:27PM

re: the new essays. Ask them "did you know that when it comes to blacks and the priesthood, that the modern day brethren have thrown Brigham Young under the bus?"

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: April 28, 2014 10:27PM

The Book of Abraham is what made my husband leave the church after finding out about the evidence the church was done for him. For me I could still twist it and make it work but polyandry is against the bible and I couldn't make it work for me anymore.

Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: April 28, 2014 11:33PM

Maybe they reconverted him

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.