Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 05:05PM

It's been many a year since first posting my grandfather's strange story of his conception by way of prophetically expedited polyandrous musical beds.

My great grandfather (in name only) was unable to father children upon his conversion to the cult due to an earlier cult he had joined which commanded his castration. Ouch!

He and ggrandma Mary Ann Darrow Richardson lamented about this to Brigham when he visited Manti in 1857.

From official family records we read...

>>> "When Brigham Young visited Manti early in January of 1858, he was welcomed by the band at Temple Hill & by a large audience at the Council House.

A hush of expectancy & reverence filled the Council House as the prophet, Brigham Young, stepped to the pulpit. His greeting, "Dear brothers & sisters", was as personal as a handshake & he received unanimous response to his request for their prayer of faith.

Edmund & Mary Ann, clothed with their new dimension of spiritual understanding, absorbed the deep significance of Celestial Marriage as the Prophet explained it. Unspeakable joy filled their beings as they recalled the day of 20 April 1857 in Brigham Young's office as the Prophet, with the sealing power of the priesthood, pronounced them "Husband & Wife for time & all eternity." What a blessing was theirs!

"However," continued the Prophet, "every blessing begets its obligation. In this case the obligation is the responsibility of raising a family."

As Edmund breathed a prayer of thanks for his two children, he was startled to hear the Prophet continue, "It is the duty of every righteous man & woman to prepare tabernacles for all the spirits they can . . ."And then, in a voice vibrating with authority, he directed his instructions to husbands & wives separately.

"Is it not a blessing to you mothers," he asked, "to raise up men filled with the glory of God, to go forth & extend the work of God?" . . . "And husbands," he continued, "we understand that we are to be made kings & priests unto God . . . Now, if I am made the king & lawgiver to my family, & if I have many sons, I shall become the father of many fathers, for they will have sons, & their sons will have sons, & so on from generation to generation. And in that way, I may become the father of many fathers, or the king of many kings---or whatever the Father sees fit to confer upon me." (Discourses of Brigham Young, p. 195)

Without looking at her husband, Mary Ann knew that his head was bowed. And he knew by the pressure of her hand upon his that she loved him despite their eight childless years.

It was the problem of sealing Emma Lynette & George to them that sent the Richardson’s seeking an interview with the Prophet. (Details of this interview have been pieced together from fragmentary writings & folklore of the family & from sealing records at the Endowment House from January 1850-1871.)

"I wouldn't worry too much about that sealing," advised the Prophet, "time will take care of that & your other children will be born under the covenant." (Emma & George were sealed to their parents 28 December 1932).

Mary Ann saw Edmund flinch as though struck by a blow, turn pale, & then rise resolutely to his feet. She would have spared him, but she rejoiced to find him equal to its performance. In the strength of his humility, Edmund confessed before the Lord & his Prophet, that in following the false teachings of his former religion & society, he had become a eunuch & more family was impossible.

As Mary Ann stepped beside Edmund to lend him her support, Brigham Young took both their hands & looking deep into their eyes, plumbed the depth of their faith & sincerity, their grief & remorse.

Brigham Young remembered the integrity of Brother & Sister Richardson. He knew how willingly they had accepted the call to leave Salt Lake City & to settle in Manti, even though they knew it meant facing poverty, hardships, discouragement, & Indian dangers. He noted how Edmund took the brunt of arduous & dangerous assignments, how he had donated $168.00 to the Perpetual Emigration Fund, how he gave time & means toward readying teams & wagons to go to the assistance of emigrant trains. Edmund had fulfilled his every assignment.

"Brother & Sister Richardson," the Prophet said presently, "the teachings & work of the Devil have taken away your posterity. But the teachings & authority of Christ can restore it, if you are willing to make great sacrifices."

After exchanging glances of mutual willingness to share any necessary sacrifice, Mary & Edmund turned their eyes again to the Prophet.

President Young then explained to Edmund that any added children for them would have to come by proxy. He would need to give Mary Ann a civil divorce & allow her to have a civil marriage with another man. Any issue from such a marriage, he explained, would belong to Edmund, because he & Mary Ann were sealed for eternity.

Perhaps the Prophet envisaged the posterity possible with the acceptance of such a plan, but Edmund & Mary Ann were too stunned to think past the separation. That sacrifice they were unwilling to make & returned home, certain they must forego a larger family.

But the peace which usually follows a unanimous decision did not come to them. They were denied the solace of sleep, & pretended sleep taunted them relentlessly for hours. Over & over each relived the interview in the President's office, & searched his soul in the light of its implications. To be denied the love & protection she had enjoyed from her husband was sorrow enough to Mary Ann. To accept another man in his place was unthinkable.

Edmund's agony was magnified by triple factors: his love for his wife, his desire for more family, & his mistake. The very thought of being away from his wife filled him with loneliness beyond expression. If he were absent, who would protect her & his two children? Who would provide for their needs? The thought of someone else taking his place was even less bearable. That was too much to ask of anyone!

And then he recalled the look of yearning he had seen in Mary Ann's eyes as she cuddled other women's babies. Sobs shook his frame as he moaned, "Oh, how I have failed her, my most precious possession."

Mary Ann became aware of his suffering, & was there to mitigate his pain & salve it with understanding.

Compliance with her suggestion that they kneel & ask God to make His will known to them brought the first peace they had found. Sleep soon followed.

Morning brought the "Joy Which Surpasseth Understanding," for Edmund & Mary Ann each had seen a vision, which sent them back to the President's office. "No need for explanations," exclaimed the Prophet as they entered. "Your countenances show that you are ready to accept the plan." Then turning to Mary Ann, he said, "Here is a slip of paper containing the names of three polygamist men whom I consider worthy to participate in our plan. Mary Ann, make your choice."

Before reading the names, Mary Ann fled into Edmund's arms. As he held her close, he whispered, "The Lord will not leave us to walk alone, my dear."

When Mary read aloud the name of Frederick Walter Cox, Edmund was pleased with her choice, but his lips compressed into a thin straight line & the muscles of his neck stood out like steel cords.

When Frederick Walter Cox was called into conference with Brigham Young & approached with the idea of raising a family for another man, he flatly refused. However, after he was shown in a vision that he should accept, he became the third witness that the plan was divinely inspired. He reported to President Young that he was now willing to participate in the plan.

Again we quote from the diary of Charles Edmund Richardson: "It took three visions & a religion to reconcile others to my coming."

In accordance with his authority as President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints & as Governor of the State of Utah, Brigham Young granted Mary Ann Darrow Richardson a civil divorce from her husband, Edmund Richardson. On 9 January 1858, he performed a civil marriage between Mary Ann & Frederick Walter Cox. (Record of this marriage is on file in the Archives at Salt Lake City, Utah).

Because any children from this marriage were to be raised for Edmund Richardson, & also as protection for Brother Cox during the polygamist persecution, Mary Ann retained the Richardson surname & lived in the Richardson home. Edmund voluntarily sent regular checks, or alimony, to support his family, & Mary Ann planned to continue weaving.

http://oscox.org/richardson/maryanndrichardson.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 05:52PM

And people say the Church is harmless.

Posted by: footdoc ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 07:34PM

fascinating history, shame Cox couldn't have just been a sperm donator and life continue on as normal for the couple.

Posted by: baneberry ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 08:32PM

I know these people's descendants. They are good people.

Date: April 17, 2014 08:43PM

baneberry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know these people's descendants. They are good
> people.

Well of course we are :o)

There is a well known RfM stalwart who posts here often, my friend and cousin, Stray Mutt.

Date: April 17, 2014 09:16PM

Several married into my family. One in my ward. One was a teacher of mine.

Date: April 17, 2014 10:12PM

baneberry Wrote:
> Several married into my family. One in my ward.
> One was a teacher of mine.

Little wonder.

"Papa" and his bro Sul had multiple wives and numberless grandkids.

But don't call us Coxes :o)

Date: April 17, 2014 10:45PM

Shummy Wrote:
> baneberry Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Several married into my family. One in my ward.
> > One was a teacher of mine.
>
> Little wonder.
>
> "Papa" and his bro Sul had multiple wives and
> numberless grandkids.
>
> But don't call us Coxes :o)

Yep. From a purely ethical point of view, on our board we get our knickers twisted when we discuss plural marriage and then turn around and twitter about playing with ourselves. IF an adult makes a choice it's their choice. No decisions are made in a vacuum.

I'm from plural marriages on multiple lines and while it isn't a lifestyle I'd choose for many reasons like, I think it's origins are suspect, it doesn't suit women's emotional needs well, and it was administered by a system that was not good. I am what I am. I think many entered into it in good faith, did their best and at times, made it work. I wouldn't be here were it not for them. So, I let it be and figure monogamy works best for my life. Plus, it reduces the beatings and lead poisoning I'd receive if I strayed.

Date: April 18, 2014 05:06AM

It wasn't a choice for many of them. They were threatened with damnation if they didn't do it. (D&C 132)

Date: April 18, 2014 05:08AM

Also, a lot of the females were girls, not women eg Helen Marr Kimball.

Date: April 18, 2014 08:48AM

generalizations. I'm not speaking about JS. I am talking about my family's experience with it.

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 08:11AM

Would it not have been much easier for the profit to turn on his priesthood powerofgod and heal the balls of that unfortunate husband?

Or did nobody ever come up with thought?

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 10:21AM

They don't call me 'breedum' for nothin'.

How phucking bizarro is this crazy-ass religion?

Date: April 18, 2014 10:27AM

Yeah, breedum young and frequent.

Phucking cult.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.