Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: crissykays ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 02:08PM

I have been in the LDS church all my life im now 44 and have recently realized that the church is not what it claims and have learned how much Joe lied and things he did. That was my big breaking point the lies that were told by the leaders in our church up to this day. Anyways I do have a question to the rest of you. I still believe in God and Jesus and so I have started attending a lil church my husband goes to its a Baptist one they were all very welcoming and sincerely kind I noticed too that the whole service was centered on JESUS which I really liked. Then after it was over I went on to the LDS church mostly to keep my mother who is now widowed and really only has me and my family around for company. I haven't told her right out that I don't believe anymore mostly because her faith is more out of fear so to speak she thinks if she stops paying tithing or something there will be horrible consequences and would feel I was a complete apostate etc. But I find it gets harder and harder to have to listen to lessons about JOE or when the sunday school lesson comes from the book of Abraham instead of the OT. Do any of you who still go but don't believe have this problem and how do you keep from shouting out YOUR BEING LIED TO????? Please give advice !!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 02:26PM

You are probably not alone. Look around sacrament meeting and see how many people have their heads down playing with their phone or tablet.

If you have to go, bring a distraction with you. Then let the meeting swirl around you. After the closing amen you're out the door.

If they are honest with themselves, everyone in that meeting knows there will be nothing new or exciting said that day.

They are punching the clock just like you are.

Posted by: orion74 ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 02:52PM

Before I stopped going to church,I was reading the Bible during the meetings. It was the only way I kept sane. Elders Quorum meetings were the worst for boredom. I think most men did not want to be there.....

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 03:04PM

I was attending all three hours up until recently. Sacrament meeting is usually bearable, but I couldn't handle SS and EQ anymore...I had to stop attending. Church history SS was especially infuriating.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 04:42PM

I attended as a non-believer for a few years. Do you have a smart-phone or a kindle to keep your mind off the idiocy?

The real answer is that you can't continue to attend long term - their comments will seem more and more inane and you will feel more and more out of place there. You'll probably find that you attend with your mom less and less as time goes on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2014 04:42PM by The Oncoming Storm - bc.

Date: April 17, 2014 04:42PM

I do notice everyone with there head in there phones or I pads pretending that they are "following along w/ lesson or scriptures" but if you set behind them and glance over you can really see what they are browsing. I do often read the Bible just for a little peace.

Posted by: Virgil ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 06:40PM

Once my wife and I finally admitted to ourselves that it was all a hoax, it literally made us physically ill trying to force ourselves to sit through meetings. I was already 100% out, but she was about 90-95% on the fence and still had that lingering 5-10% of doubt of "what if it IS true?" But that physically ill feeling was all it took to seal the deal and take her to 100% being done. You have to be honest with yourself and others around you if you want to be happy. I know you might not want to upset your mom and other family, but neither did I. It took guts telling my parents, and of course they were hurt, but I am their son and they love me no matter what. I'm sure she will love you too no matter what. You are her child. If she disowns you over religion, well, then there are deeper issues there than mr. joe.

Date: April 17, 2014 09:29PM

She wont disown me she is a good mother I just know she will never listen to my side of things and will not even consider it all a fraud, even though we are or were supposed Lamanites and I told her there is absolutely NO DNA evidence supporting the churches claims etc. All she said was I know and shrugged, acting as though it was no big deal. Even I could have swept that under the rug for a time, what broke the whole shelf was the Lies of Joe and BOA sadly she would feel like she has failed as mother because my bro is already an apostate. He doesn't worry about the doctrine and such he's just could care less and doesn't worry about her feelings. I guess im just gonna have to be strong and tell her and hope for the best. She does have that GUILT thing the Mormon parents seem to be so good at using but I have learned to let it roll off my back. Thanks for letting me vent.

Posted by: Virgil ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 11:52PM

Good luck. Sending good vibes your way!

Posted by: Bradley ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 10:33PM

Zone out and go to your happy place.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 02:15AM

Half-truths are Half Lies. If it was as it claims, No Need to tell Anything but truth and have leaders responsible for actions & decisions.

Posted by: roya1b100d ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 02:54AM

I understand the feeling. I left the church at 16 but had to go till i was 18 (TBM Father) that was 5 years ago. 2 years of being dragged and BORED i wanted to blow my brains out. But im Orthodox Christian now and finally have something i look forward to going to

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.