Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 11:05AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 11:20AM

Is it irony or by intention that he brings up the Dred Scott case in the aftermath of the morg's little dustup in Great Britain???

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 11:25AM

He's making a big deal out of diminishing freedom of speech. The only place i've run into a problem of speaking out about anything is when I was a Mormon. There is NO freedom of speech in that religion, unless you agree 100% with the leaders.

Posted by: Hold Your Tapirs ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 10:42PM

Excellent point.

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 12:06PM

...sounds like the old "hell in a handbasket" argument.

Posted by: mew ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 11:30AM

Right. I went to the bishop with concerns and was "warned" that if I continued to "question priesthood authority it was a slippery slope to apostasy". At the time I was not trying to be apostate and really just wanted answers. You are correct, unless it's all roses you are wrong and they are right.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 11:44AM

Religious liberty does not mean the ability to dictate to other people how they live their lives.

These self-styled religious libertarians are really trampling on the religious liberties of others. Mormons want to ban alcohol, close stores on Sunday, and of course, bar gays from getting married. No one is forcing Mormons to shop on Sunday, drink or accept gays.

Oaks is conflating religious liberty with the declining political power of Christians in the US. Their ability to control American society is the opposite of religious liberty for those of us who choose to think, act or believe differently from them.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 11:47AM

It's also typical of Utah to allow a religious leader to preach at a tax-payer funded state school. Oaks is crying about his lost religious liberty while he uses Utah taxpayer money to spread his own personal religious beliefs.

Theocracy is the enemy of religious freedom. The best way for religious freedom to spread is for churches like LDS, Inc. to butt out of politics.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 12:38PM

Yes. LDS inc. So persecuted. So muzzled.

They can only have newspapers, magazines, TV affiliates, satellite TV networks, internet sites, churches, universities, Temples, thousands of missionaries etc... It's so tough nowadays.

I'm not sure what freedom he is missing, but I don't want his voice suppressed. How is this distinctive voice of Dallin Watchman on the Tower Oaks not being heard? We must find out.

Dallin Oaks needs to be abroad in the land spreading the good news, because when he says things like his wonderful Frontline bit: "It's wrong to criticize leaders of the church, even when the criticism is true" that has to ring a little scary in the ears of non-Mormons.

Free Dallin....

[For all wondering there is some sarcasm at work here]

Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 01:09PM

I agree. Let the living prophets, seers and revelators be seen and heard throughout the land. Let the people see Mormonism in its full glory and see the truth thereof.

Kind of like what happened to Romney....

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 10:35PM

What persecution??!! It look like the morg has got it's paws and claws into everything!!maybe Oaks is dreaming!!??

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 09:39AM

Snowball is right on. Dallin is a real piece of work. Give that man a microphone and let him go to town. Dred Scott?...wasn't he one of those less valiant ones who was denied the priesthood because of his skin color? I guess Dallin forgot about that part.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 04:56PM

Repressive zealots and scolds imagine that religious freedom means that they are free to pass restrictive legislation against those with alternate lifestyles and beliefs. They feel that banning mosques and gay marriage are expressions of their religious freedoms.

Oaks has acorns in his belfry.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 09:40PM

The only example he can give of a diminishing of "freedom of
speech" is that employees of Mozilla voiced their displeasure
at who was picked as their CEO. The CEO then resigned (was
not fired) based on that exercise of freedom of speech by the
employees.

How is this a bad thing? Isn't freedom of speech (and freedom
to react to that speech) what Oaks wants? Does Oaks belong to
any organizations that actively limit the activities of
members who exercise their freedom of speech in a way he
doesn't care for? Should we be unconcerned when a religious
organization throws someone out for exercising freedom of
speech but complain when employees of a business organization
express their concerns without actually throwing anyone out?

Me thinks he splits hairs to one side of the issue.

Posted by: mk ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 10:17PM

And to think this guy was on the track to become a Supreme Court justice.

If there is a rabbit hole, he has gone down it.

Posted by: My Take ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 10:39PM

Oaks wants the freedom to deny the priesthood to women forever, and never to recognize same-sex marriages.

He also wants the freedom to remain a tax-subsidized institution by the citizens of America -- many of whom are the very people that LDS church is prejudiced against (see above).

Makes perfect sense.

Posted by: michaelgbluth ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 10:44PM

"...churches should stand on at least as strong a footing as any other corporation when they enter the public square to participate in public policy debates."

This flies in the face of the Church's public (not private) stance not to get involved in politics.

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 04:26AM

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 08:35AM

I just heard a clip of Oaks' speech on the radio. He spoke in full Mormon "Conference Cadence". It sounded wildly inappropriate and a little creepy in a university lecture context.

He apparently no longer knows how to speak like a normal person. Assimilation is complete.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 08:42AM

For the mormon definition of liberty, one only needs to look to BYU, where "freedom" means you are "free" to have every tiny little portion of your life tightly controlled as dictated by octogenarians in funny underwear

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 08:52AM

At least the others are either just unapologetically abusive (which there's a certain honesty to, like Packer), or wishy-washy (like Monson).

Oaks' "religious liberty" mantra is blatantly hypocritical, because he's referring, often, specifically to protests to the church's campaigns to limit gay rights.

Posted by: Brother Zelph ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 09:15AM

Freedom of religion does not mean the freedom to impose your religion on other people. Sheesh. When will these people realize that their personal beliefs do not apply to other people in a multicultural society?

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 09:28AM

There should be more incursions on religious freedom. Iraq is legalising child girl brides, there's lunatics in Africa killing toddlers and albinos for being witches and gays for being gay, girls are having their clitori sliced off etc.

Meanwhile, in America, there's silly old white pricks dictating to kids what they can do with their own bodies and encouraging their minions worldwide to ask teen girls and boys intrusive sexual questions about their sex lives.

Oaks and the rest of them are panicking because they see the writing on the wall. Religion is becoming less relevant in the US, which is probably the most religious first world country. The sooner these old farts croak the better for everyone.

EDIT wow! Anyone read the comments? And they were the ones DN let through!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2014 09:32AM by ozpoof.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 09:57AM

The only trend I see is the one where religions are getting less of a free pass, and are held more to the laws that everyone else has to abide by. He is complaining because the world is becoming less theocratic? What persecution...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.