Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 11:03AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 11:04AM

Sure it changes lives...but that doesn't mean its for the good. :)

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 09:56PM

Yep. It helped change my life right out of LD$, inc!

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 11:15AM

I just looked and it was now #4 behind 2 versions of Mein Kompf, and books entitled "Moot" and "How to Kill Yourself".

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 11:16AM

I just checked out the actual list, and it's currently at #4 which places it somewhere between "How to Kill Yourself" and "Rampaging Fuckers of Everything on the Crazy Shitting Planet of the Vomit Atmosphere."

No Joke.

http://bestbookread.com/

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 11:20AM

Just because a bunch of mormons voted for it, doesn't mean the whole world is reading that crap. It wouldn't surprise me if most the people who voted for it haven't read the book from cover to over.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: May 07, 2014 02:51AM

Mormins love these kindof garbage polls. Just like voting for your alma mater in a Yahoo Sports poll.

Go Mormons! Spend your day clicking on a button,proclaimng our love of a fictional book about Jews in America....in 2200 BC.

Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 11:59AM

Oh, it changed my life alright...

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 12:09PM

My favorite comment: "Cursory reading of the Book of Mormon, however, will not reveal its true depth. When the mind and the spirit are not tuned in, it will look like a tedious sequence of words that do not make much sense. Which unfortunately is what happened to a lot of readers, including even the great Mark Twain."

A tedious sequence of words, like "...it came to pass...."

Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 12:18PM

OK...how MUCH of a joke is this list? I mean really.....right now sitting at #19 Home VCR Repair Illustrated No joke, a book about how to repair your VCR. But of course all the Mormons will run around shouting! "SEE IT'S ON THE LIST!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 12:23PM

It seems old habits die hard. Every time mormons flood these internet polls or comment boards with "faith-promoting" responses (encouraged by directives from FAIR, the Facebook circle jerk, etc.), they're essentially bloc-voting - the same nonsense that got them kicked out of Missouri all those years ago.

Only the DN would print the results of an informal internet poll on a very-low-traffic website as "news". They are so pathetically desperate for validation.

Posted by: Brainfrees ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 08:18PM

+1000

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 12:32PM

Gag me with a spoon. It's polls like this that make me not trust any polls at all.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 12:33PM

That's quite a list. Lots of similar literature on that.

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 12:34PM

Cuz, it sure doesn't hold up on its own merits. My ever devoted TBM wife cannot even read it without falling asleep. A merciful god would never inflict it on anyone he loves.

If Mormons weren't reciting "I know the BoM is true" like a mantra, it wouldn't occur to anyone that it was a great book.

The BoM doesn't prop up the morg, the morg props up the BoM with their never-ending propaganda machine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2014 12:35PM by mrtranquility.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 01:01PM

+ a zillion

someone QUICK! make a list of BoM teachings LDS, Inc. doesn't follow Today!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2014 01:27PM by GNPE.

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 10:38PM

That would be interesting and fun to see!!

Posted by: Brethrenadieu ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 11:32PM

Rpackham has done such a list. Check out his website.

Posted by: Delightsome White Boy ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 01:41PM

Hmmmmmmm...
"Unbiased" Poll conducted by the Mormon Churche's newspaper based in Utah... "Now that makes perfect sense."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2014 01:42PM by Delightsome White Boy.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 01:51PM

Reminds me of the BOM musical opening number. "This book will change your life."

"There's a lot of information here you can really use":

-When is it ok to chop off a helpless drunk guy's head? When God whispers some ends justifies the means nonsense into your head.

-What the most awesome material for a bow? Steel...duh?

-What do scientists have wrong about the way America was before Europeans arrived? Almost everything. Native Americans are descended from Israelites. They used steel, knew about Jesus, and rode horses.

-How do I know if this book is true? Pray about it, and you will get a warm fuzzy feeling called "the Spirit of the Holy Ghost" hooray!

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 09:14PM

snowball Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> -When is it ok to chop off a helpless drunk guy's
> head? When God whispers some ends justifies the
> means nonsense into your head.

Oh ye of little faith. Ye do err because ye know not the
scriptures. The Book of Mormon does not say God told Nephi to
cut of Laban's head. The text specifically says "the Spirit."
And how does "the Spirit" speak to us? In a "still small
voice." So, the correct answer is:

"you chop off a helpless drunk guy's head when the voices in
your head tell you to."

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 08:59PM

The Book of Mormon radically changed my family history. My idiot great grand father was swept away by Mormonism and left his prosperous logging family on the lovely northern coast of California for the rot of Utah. He had three wives and thirty-five children, none of whom he could care for. A cycle of abject poverty began and didn't end until my adulthood. That book is a life changer all right.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 09:50PM

So a Mormon's blog rallied the saints to skew a non-scientific
online poll and the Book of Mormon was temporarily first.

So the DN trumpets this wonderful feat in an article. However
after the article hits, the Book of Mormon is overtaken by TWO
different editions of Mein Kampf.

But there's the DN article pumping people to the website. Now
EVERYONE gets to see that the BOM loses to Mein Kampf.

Wunderbar.

Posted by: michaelgbluth ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 10:48PM

More solid reporting by Deseret News. They are like the Fox News of local Utah news

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 05:44AM

Right up there with "Mein Kampf," "Das Kapital," and "Thoughts of Chairman Mao."

Posted by: Happy Hare Krishna ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 07:44AM

From the article:

Editor's note: Voting is ongoing, and since this story was published Wednesday, the Book of Mormon has dropped to No. 4, and its location on the list will continue to change. As a warning, some of the works that have been added by users and voted up since Wednesday are explicit and controversial.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 08:10AM

And now the BestBookRead.com site has vanished. Huh.

Posted by: Kismet ( )
Date: May 07, 2014 12:25AM

There's currently a message that says, "Okay 4Chan. You got us this time. You raided our Best Book Read crowd-sourced list and filled it with offensive, racist books."

LOL. Yeah, offensive, racist books like the Book of Mormon, which temporarily topped the list of offensive, racist books.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 07, 2014 02:35AM

Posted by: deathforbigbrother ( )
Date: May 07, 2014 02:48AM

As a non-mormon who have been investigating the church for more than year (now, i'm completely done!) i have never found anything in 'BOM'.I had dozed off a couple times while i was reading the book. It's filled with a yawn-inducing parables that wouldn't even make a good story as a comic (let alone a divinely-inspired bible, as they always presupposed it)

Life-changing? Perhaps for gullible and feeble-minded people with zero intelligence.. Sorry too harsh :D

Posted by: Diane ( )
Date: May 07, 2014 08:23AM

This "list" was made by a company in Malyasia who market self-help, new agey, meditation audoi. My daughter used to work for them. The purpose of this list was to gather names to market to. So a lot of Mormons are now on the marketing list for a lot of hocus pocus. :)

Posted by: thematrix ( )
Date: May 07, 2014 08:39AM

It's funny because it shoots up to number 1 due to a pro LDS blog site and then the internet monglers vote it down so now the site is down. Blahaha

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 07, 2014 10:04AM

Rather than a good writer (JS didn't just write the mock book) and a well written book, instead, with the BoM, mortals have a not well reviewed book, but a book with a lot of problems (as good as it may sound and as true as the reader wants to make it) and it may be life changing but it won't be your own.

Book of Mormon Claims Joseph Smith wrote it - Mormons claim "the church is true" - Joseph had a lot of claims of his own - and we all have a lot of claims. I claim to have read it a few times. I also claim there are a lot of better books out there, more well written, "true" factual books, interesting ones, fun reads, more colorful and correct books.

M@t

Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: May 07, 2014 10:27AM

Can't help noticing that the source of the news is the one and true Deseret news. might be a connection.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.