Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 10:18AM

So, my exmo husband and I moved from North Carolina to Texas last August so he could retire from the Army. I was sure we'd stay here, given how San Antonio is "military city" and all. It turns out there aren't any obvious jobs available in this area for what my husband wants to do. He went to a job fair in March that was just for military folks and ended up being interviewed by a Big Four accounting firm that is branching out into other businesses. My husband has been studying cyber security and will be finished with his program just weeks after his retirement is official.

He had a phone interview last week and has just been invited to go to New York City for an interview with managers and partners… and if all goes well, it'll be time for another big road trip… this time to Seattle (or potentially somewhere else-- the guy who runs the Seattle office is so far the most interested).

To say the least, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed and excited. I have a feeling he may very well get a job offer, though… so those of you who want to share info about the best and most affordable Seattle area housing can feel free to share! I have been to Seattle before, but only once and that was back in 2005. I don't know much about the West Coast at all. Of course, this could fall through and I might have to go back to fretting about the future, but I have a gut feeling that it won't. These people seem very interested.

On another note, if you're looking for a hot field to get into, definitely check out cyber security.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 01:47PM

Seattle is a lovely place to live. Good quality of life, though a bit dark and damp mid-winter (i.e. half the year!).

What is a good location depends more on what you want. Short commute? Mountains? Lakes? New residence or older home? Condo or house? Is school district an issue? And "expensive" is a highly individual concept.

Date: April 17, 2014 05:58PM

Schools aren't important. We don't have kids. I'm thinking houses under $300,000 or so if we were to buy or less than $2000 a month rent. My husband and I used to live in Atlanta and DC, so we know about traffic. He doesn't mind a commute if it means a better home for the money. We want a house because we have dogs and they aren't the type who do well in apartments.

I prefer more rural settings if possible. I've already done some cursory looking, but again, this isn't a done deal yet. It looks very promising, though.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 06:02PM

My daughter just bought a newer 4 bedroom 3 bath house with family room, den, living room, in Marysville (north of seattle) for 260k.
That was pretty reasonable for the area. The house was in pristine condition.

This is a house in the same neighborhood that just went up for sale.

http://www.trulia.com/property/3152086112-7904-55th-Pl-NE-Marysville-WA-98270#photo-20

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2014 06:25PM by madalice.

Posted by: mew ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 06:58PM

Marysville is a nice community. I hear Bellevue is nice as well. I don't know the area terribly well. Good luck with the jobs!

Date: April 17, 2014 02:11PM

We love washington and seattle is a military area too. Plus boeing. Good luck!you'll love the weather and all thing washington. It's beautiful here!

Posted by: magic823 ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 03:34PM

I lived there 20 years. My advice would be to live relatively close to where you work. My commute was horrible. Hour to an hour 1/4 to go 17 miles. That, being gray half the year, and needing to live closer to aging parents prompted a move to Boise, ID 6 years ago.

I do miss Seattle. I liked the ocean, mountains, greenery, hiking, backpacking, not that many morgbots, shopping (real camera store), restaurants (really miss good teriyaki), Seawhawks, Mariners, progressive attitude and that there was always something to do.

I don't miss the commute, cost of housing, grey skies, and rain. Once my parents pass away, I'd love to go back for the right job.

Date: April 17, 2014 03:59PM

Magic is right..I-5 and every other cooridor can get quite daunting. Good advice

Posted by: rain ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 04:49PM

I'm Seattle born and raised and I love it here. I have lived several other places for 1 - 3 years at a time but always had to come back here.

You do have to be able to handle a lot of gray skies, though. I personally love the rain, but the gray skies and traffic can be daunting. Housing can be expensive here, too, but it depends on what type of area you want to live in. We live right in the city and love it, but it might not be for everyone. Our commute is only 1.5 miles, so no traffic for us.

So as others have pointed out, you want to live reasonably close to your work place, and then it depends on what you are looking for: house vs apartment, desired density, city or suburb, are schools important?

Date: April 17, 2014 05:55PM

I live north of Seattle. I've lived most of my life either here or Portland Or. I love it here.
There's always something to do or someplace to go. This time of year the Skagit valley is in full Tulip bloom. In February we head up the mountains on the Skagit river to see the 100's of bald Eagles. The summertime brings on the whale watching and crabbing. I also love to go into the city. It's an interesting place.

The winters can be long. We usually take our vacation in the winter. We go someplace like AZ. or California. There's usually good deals on flights to Hawaii.

The summer weather is wonderful,no place i'd rather be. We like to be here in the summer because we have a boat and a garden. Our adult kids are at our place quite a bit in the summer. They can spend the night, but still drive into the city for work. It's the best of both worlds.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 06:01PM

you may be soon....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYcqToQzzGY

replace east with west. I know only you can appreciate this video my 80's buddy.

Date: April 17, 2014 07:02PM

I love that show!

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 07:24PM

I know, or I guessed you would. That's why I posted it for you. :)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 07:19PM

Seattle sounds great. I hope that you get a wonderful place to resettle, Knotty. Of course the greater Washington, D.C. area is quite pleasant as well. ;) There's no shortage of jobs around here that require a security clearance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2014 07:20PM by summer.

Date: April 17, 2014 07:26PM

We spent years in the DC area! I have many friends there, but no desire to go back anytime soon. But honestly, that could end up happening too, if this Seattle gig falls through.

Austin was one location he put on his application (which he just filled out today after meeting a recruiter at an Austin hiring event and doing a phone interview). When he goes to New York, there is a chance another partner will want to talk to him. The Seattle guy is just the one who specifically requested his presence in New York.

Here in San Antonio, we've run into lots of JWs. More than anywhere else we've lived, actually… but no Mormons.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 06:30AM

and maybe have big hair, but not on purpose. Beth lives in Seattle now; perhaps she'll weigh in.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 07:20PM

Has your husband looked for a job in Austin? There are more high tech firms in Austin than San Antonio plus the weather in Texas is way better than Seattle. You get bigger houses and a better life in San Antonio or Austin and there are way less Mormons to bother you.

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 01:06AM

I fully support everyone's right to like sunshine. However, no way is the weather in Austin way better than Seattle. To me. Or to anyone in my family. Or any of my friends. Or neighbors. Seattle is mild and gentle. The lovely rain keeps things much cleaner, including the air. There are loads of nice green things growing all around, all year. And you can go a very short distance to find a very big difference in climate, whenever you like. It is not broilingly hot. And there are extremely few tornadoes (Austin is in the moderate risk area. Seattle is in the low risk area). Nights are cool enough to sleep without air conditioning. And most people don't need it in the daytime either. And the sun shines entirely often enough. Too much sun is a danger to health. Yes it is. The Seattle area is amazingly beautiful all around. Not just in parks. And it's that way year-round. If you are seriously averse to lovely, healthful rain, read up on the rain shadow. You can easily commute to Seattle from some of the rain shadow areas, and have the best of both worlds. But don't tell anyone that I told you so.

Date: April 18, 2014 08:11AM

Rain doesn't bother me that much. I'd prefer that to 110 degree temps in the summer. And I like green... And trees. My husband hates super hot weather too, though he is from Texas (sort of).

I think the beauty of Washington state will inspire me, if we are lucky enough to move there.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: April 19, 2014 04:14PM

as long as it's not very cold or blowing sideways into me or coming down much faster than the ground can soak it up.

Date: June 25, 2014 08:33AM

Okay… so Washington State didn't work out…

but Germany did!

Adios Texas… Guten tag, Deutschland! :D

Date: June 25, 2014 06:47PM

Germany? Do tell.

Date: June 25, 2014 06:55PM

My husband got a job as a civilian contractor at AFRICOM, which is in Stuttgart. We lived in Stuttgart for two years-- 2007-09-- before we left early because one of my husband's old bosses meddled with his career.

It's so odd. I was sure we'd be staying in Texas because everyone talks about all the jobs here, especially for veterans. As it turns out, he couldn't get arrested in Texas! ;)

The whole story of how he got this job offer is pretty amazing, too. My husband had a breakfast meeting with a former colleague who lives in Texas and told him he wanted to go back to Germany. Guy at breakfast knew someone in Germany and it turned out a bunch of contractors just quit because their salaries were being cut due to a new company taking over. Several of my husband's former co-workers at EUCOM are still in Germany and knew and liked his work, so they recommended him to the hiring manager at the new company. It took a week for a phone interview and letter of intent and they want us in Germany by early August.

The next few weeks should be fun… but I am just relieved that there's a job, it's in a place we know we love, and we don't have to live in this crappy house anymore after July.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2014 07:36PM by knotheadusc.

Date: June 25, 2014 07:16PM

That's pretty much a dream come true for you, isn't it, Knotty? I remember how much you loved living in Europe. That's wonderful news. Let us know how your move progresses.

Date: June 25, 2014 07:20PM

It is. I love living in Europe. I don't love the logistics involved with getting there and settling in, but once that part is done, it's party time! I just can't believe it.

I actually had a bit of a meltdown last night because retirement starts on July 1 and he had no job lined up… our landlord wanted us to either commit to another year in his crappy house or pay $100 more a month in rent and add a clause allowing him to cancel it at will. We were planning to move to a corporate apartment instead.

We were just in Germany last month and I remember telling my husband I had a feeling we'd be back very soon.

Date: June 25, 2014 06:46PM

Date: June 25, 2014 07:05PM

Isn't life funny? You never know what's around the corner. I once thought i'd be living in Ohio the rest of my life. I hated it there.

I'm from the pacific northwest and thought i'd never get to live there again. One day hubby comes home and asks me how I feel about living in Seattle. I couldn't get that for Sale sign up fast enough.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 25, 2014 07:49PM

I lived in Germany for almost three really fun years. The winters rattle your teeth, but the summers are incredibly mild. Insects were so rare, I didn't have screen windows. The beer and the food are to die for. Take a river cruise if you can, they feature wine tasting stops at old castles. Rothenburg, Munich, Oktoberfest, the Heidleberg castle "burning." You drive to France or Swtzerland, or take the ferry to Old Blighty. Go ye, therefore...

Date: June 25, 2014 07:58PM

This will be our second taste of life in Germany… so I know we're in for a great time, as long as we find a great landlord.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.