Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Once a poster ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 08:24AM

Well, folks, I'm outta here. Not using my moniker because I retired it. I had such a good time for the initial years I was here, and feel that I used to contribute pretty well. I'm not exaggerating when I say that Recovery from Mormonism was the catalyst that got me out of the church and into my new world. I'd love to stick around, but it's increasingly obvious that I have less and less in common with each successive round of new participants, which I guess is a matter of age or something. I also face the grim reality of flagging popularity and becoming a rather potent thread killer. (Apologies to those whose threads I've inadvertently and prematurely terminated.) I'm also increasingly annoyed at having to defend myself more and more against rude comments of people I don't even know and will never meet. But it's okay. I've had my say more than once and have had a pretty good run.

At a time in my life when I should be winding down and relaxing, troubles are cranking up instead. All is not well in my particular Zion, and my mental state is near collapse. Probably the less I hear about Mormonism and the less I'm reminded how bad it was, the better off I am. Like so many of you I am stuck with close TBM family members who plot to limit my influence in the family, no matter my vital status of breadwinner, father, and grandfather. And similar to the fix that several of you are in, some of my family have no appreciation for how close to the edge I actually am and how little it would take to nudge me over. Even at this late stage in my life I may yet be forced to cut my losses and write it off as a colossal mistake. So you'll understand that I need to get away. I need to concentrate and sort this thing out.

I wish you every success in getting to the end of your problems.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 08:29AM

Fair winds and following seas.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Good luck in sorting out your issues. We'll keep the light on for you should you ever wish to return. :)

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 08:43AM

Food for thought, If you really piss somebody off the thread seems to live longer, I don't think anyone necessarily kills threads, just some topics generate more interest. Sure, a few posters have groupies, but not many.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2014 08:44AM by ladell.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 07:20PM

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 08:45AM

I think most people go through what you are going through, so if you're still around reading, know that you are not alone. Sometimes a break is a really good thing -- helps you learn to focus your attention on other things. Be well my friend.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 09:06AM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2014 09:40AM by quinlansolo.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 09:10AM

There's no such thing as a thread killer. Only trolls do that and those threads should be shut down.

Here's to smooth sailing ahead.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 09:11AM

that pretty much sums it up.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 09:15AM

Best wishes to you. I hope your troubles are temporary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2014 09:16AM by Makurosu.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 10:51AM

I hope that you fare well.

I say that somewhat selfishly because I believe that in terms of trouble in one's "Personal Zion", I'm likely only a step or two behind you.

It gets very discouraging when one anticipates a brighter day and it turns out to be cloudier and darker...

I believed them when they called them the "golden years".

What a crock! (at least in my case...)

Eta: good chance that this post kills this thread, based on recent observation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2014 10:54AM by csuprovograd.

Posted by: mew ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 11:26AM

Who is this leaving? I am newer here I apologize for not contributing effectively or correctly. Never want people to leave.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 11:28AM

They smartly left off their username, since it will make it less embarrassing when they start posting again in a few weeks or months.

Date: April 17, 2014 11:31AM

Good point.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 11:32AM

Here's hoping things get better for you. Good luck.

Posted by: orion74 ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 03:34PM

I always have to come back.....

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 03:37PM

whose posts I enjoy. Hope things improve in your life.

I have a sneaking suspicion who it is, but I won't out them. I'm really sorry to see them go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2014 04:03PM by cl2.

Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 05:45PM

All the best to you. Be true to yourself whatever you do, and enjoy yourself.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 06:34PM

There will always be a place for you at the table. Do what is best for you. If you need anything you know my email and I am always here. I think you don't understand what a value you have brought to this board. I for one will miss you :(

Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 07:09PM

I've never been particularly popular and I've killed lots of threads, and I feel like the Board is more confrontational than it used to be. But I still like reading and posting. I'm a different person than when I first came here years ago, and it has helped me a lot.

Older itosters contribute an awful lot to the discussions. They have knowledge and experience that no one else has, and can also offer help to other older members when they find their way out of the church. I find everyone has something to contribute, but on an anonymous site it's easy to think that no one values your opinion. Good luck with everything.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 07:17PM

I have learned something from almost everyone on this board, even the ones I have sparred with. So thank you whoever you are and I wish you the best.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 08:05PM

or challenges in life.

First, there are the problems I can't eliminate (like health problems, or bills to be paid--that never goes away); and for every difficult situation I work through and overcome, a new one seems to appear. I figure I'm doing okay if I'm sort of keeping up.

I think what you are doing, which is basically simplifying your life and eliminating an energy drain, is a great idea. If you decide you need emotional support, then come back.

BTW, I'm probably a worse threadkiller than you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2014 08:05PM by imaworkinonit.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 08:12PM

Good luck mate, take care of yourself, and I hope all goes well with you. We are all here if you need us!

Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 10:31PM

Why do I have a gut feeling I know who this is?

For the record, twas not me, though I feel like I could have written it myself.

Take care.

Posted by: panda ( )
Date: April 18, 2014 05:39AM

I stopped coming here shortly after I found out I was pregnant. I was and still am struggling with huge regret for ever having joined the church. But for some reason during pregnancy I just became extremely upset when thinking about anything mormon so I took a break. Its been a couple of months since I gave birth and im happy to be back lol

Date: April 18, 2014 11:32AM

Congratulations on baby!!

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 05:09PM

But I do encourage once-a-poster to email me.

You sound like you are my age and there's a whole new adjustment that takes place when you reach the shall-we-say "dignity" stage.

Best to you in your journey and remember, there are a lot of us grayhead formers who understand the kind of regret you are talking about.

Feel free to pop back in any time and just address your comments to us, you can call us Baby Boomer Cult Survivors.

Kathleen Waters

PS. Don't hole up in your apt. Get out and people watch--take your sense of humor with you. Be around people and ask questions--like at the Farmer's Market---like, what made you decide to grow almonds and why aren't you growing wine grapes?
(that one always gets a great story out of people--you would be amazed). Make your life more interesting and it will feel more like it's worth living. Hugs!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2014 05:14PM by anagrammy.

Date: April 17, 2014 05:11PM

Phew! I love how you put that "my own brand of crazy". Don't we all have our own brand of crazy? lol.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: April 17, 2014 05:22PM

As Frank Reynolds said on "it's Aways Sunny in Philadelphia- "I don't know how much more time I have. I think I'll get weird with it."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.