Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Former Finance Clerk ( )
Date: April 16, 2014 05:16PM

Has anyone heard anything new about Michael Quinn's book on church finances? I recall seeing a few things last year, but haven't heard anything since...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: April 16, 2014 05:40PM

I think he has been working on it for years...It seems though that he has dropped off the face of the earth. The church has gone through great lengths to banish him. He may not have the finances himself to finish the project.

Posted by: Former Finance Clerk ( )
Date: April 16, 2014 05:44PM

I thought I'd read that the manuscript had been sent to Signature Books and was supposed to be published this year, but I've heard nothing more about it.

Posted by: Edmond Dantes ( )
Date: April 16, 2014 06:23PM

I emailed them a couple of months ago about it.

I received the reply to check back late this summer. They said it would be possible to see it out next year and they might have a better idea in the summer.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 07:34PM

Does Quinn even post on rfm ???

Anybody have an update about the book. David Tweede is probably reading some of the drafts hopefully.

Date: March 11, 2015 02:09AM

Crickets.....

Would love to read it.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: June 05, 2017 04:36AM

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: March 11, 2015 09:25AM

If Michael Quinn doesn't have financial resources for his book, I'm sure many would be willing to donate money for it. I know I would.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2015 09:27AM by deconverted2010.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: March 11, 2015 09:50AM

He should set up a Kickstarter campaign. I'm sure lots of Exmos would contribute.

Posted by: itsalongstory ( )
Date: March 11, 2015 11:41AM

I spoke to someone at Benchmark Books that had seen the manuscript. Said it was massive. That person thought Signature would publish it in the next year or two.

Posted by: Titanic Survivor ( )
Date: March 11, 2015 12:02PM

Maybe he could collaborate with a writer to get a readable 250 page version. There are writers who write accounts on financial, historical, etc subjects that read like a novel - they are hard to put down. That's what will make a difference.

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: March 11, 2015 12:38PM

I'm mystified as to how such a book could be massive. As we all know, the amount of information on church finances is so limited. I imagine any book on church finances as being on the Mad Magazine list of "Very Thin books."

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: March 11, 2015 01:32PM

A Quinn book becomes massive due to the copious references included. There is no denying the research that goes into a Quinn book!

Edited for spelling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2015 01:33PM by moose.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: March 11, 2015 02:35PM

Quinn stated that he was working on the book back in 2012; but also as quoted in the Bloomberg article "How Mormons Make their Money". --"Regarding management of the church's considerable investments, Quinn said "[s]everal high-ranking church insiders told him that the church's finances are so compartmentalized that no single person, not even the president, knows the entirety of its holdings".http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2012-07-10/how-the-mormons-make-money

I like a lot of Americans think of the corporation as a non-profit church who does own quite a few property holdings as in temples, churches, seminary buildings. I also knew about the cattle ranches, wood farms, fruit/vegetable farms. When I was TBM I assumed most of these were for Bishop Storehouse, church welfare.

Now we know that they own property and businesses in quite a few countries. These properties are just a tip of the ice berg. They're now asking members to give property and stocks in wills; so who knows what stocks they "inherited". Do they own stocks and bonds in cities/counties??? Do they own stock in TBM owned businesses? Mitt's, Southwest, Marriott, Osmond's?

All I can say is that the finances of TSCC are so diverse, shady and as pointed out so convoluted and large that not even the Great President/Grand Pubah / King of the World doesn't have any idea what they own or are invested in. So Quinn is probably getting spreadsheets, tax returns, audits together but the businesses are being sold off, split, etc... that it could change in a year so that somethings he could report on and print would become redundant and old news by the time the book was published. This would just give fodder to some Morgbots who would claim "lies, falsehoods, old news, etc..."

Things like owning the Mall is something that they can spin off as a "loss" because they bought and built it before the great property market/banking recession just a few years back (so much for prophecy, them paying almost twice the value for what the property is worth).

So let's give Quinn some slack, He may have to start out with history-- the Kirtland Bank scandals, the Nauvoo properties, ZCMI, Deseret books, Zion Bank, Children's Primary Hospital, United Order settlements that would sell their excess wheat and livestock for a profit (but these are co-ops not church owned, yet the profits would often be sent to SLC).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2015 02:39PM by dydimus.

Date: March 11, 2015 04:19PM

From the book fees, the publisher may just have to run a webpage URL printed in the book for the nitty gritty details if it does change hands.

They could probably get some amazon cloud servers running as needed and spin them up once a week or whatever to allow you to run your own numbers, categories, and play around with the properties and assets.

Hopefully the deep throat is one of the financial guys getting ready to retire and spill the beans unofficially of course. The church might not even sue because then that would drag out more information into the court filing and records. Just spit balling here.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: March 11, 2015 04:59PM

Here is a great example of some of the past and present financial standings of TSCC.
http://bycommondissent.org/2015/03/09/the-corporation-we-call-a-church/

It sounds so easy like someone wanting to do a movie about Nauvoo; when in actuality it should be a mini-series like Centennial was or a series on HBO like Deadwood. All of the lust, violence, bloody conspiracies, etc... And that's just Nauvoo, imagine adding in the previous making of TSCC then adding in the Utah settlements!!!

Date: March 11, 2015 05:07PM

dydimus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here is a great example of some of the past and
> present financial standings of TSCC.
> http://bycommondissent.org/2015/03/09/the-corporat
> ion-we-call-a-church/
>
I saw that link earlier this week. It's a great synopsis. I've added the information to my ongoing OneNote file about the church corporate structure and financial history.

Posted by: Rodolfo NLI ( )
Date: March 11, 2015 05:19PM

I'm aware that a final Draft has been submitted to the publisher. So excited to read this.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 11, 2015 06:29PM

D. Michael Quinn is to "writing" as the IRS is to having a few rules...

I checked out his "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View" but could only have it for two weeks, cuz it was pulled from some university's 'stacks'. It was so heavily barnacled with references and cross-references that I tired of trying to slog my way through it.

The notion mentioned earlier in this thread that he should collaborate with someone to put out a 200 page novelization of the larger book's content makes really good sense!

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: March 11, 2015 08:42PM

Well at least the reader can take DMQ's source work to the bank so to speak.

Unlike Nibley who inserted more phony footnotes than actual verifiable ones.

Posted by: Cthulhu's Cat ( )
Date: November 22, 2016 09:56AM

Signature has again moved back the release date on their website--from Nov 2016 to February 2017.

Anyone know anything more?

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: November 22, 2016 10:38AM

I would think with a prominent name in the mormon intellectual community he wouldn't have a problem getting it fully financed. I spoke with a CEO of a large publishing company a few years ago and he told me that it's a great honor to do the publishing for folks like Billy Graham and that publishers fight over the rights to do it. They also foot the bill and are expected to pay the whole thing, generous royalties and all. These are the perks the likes of Joel Ostien and Oprah Winphry enjoy. It's the little people that have to pay more of the lions share for printing.

The Ceo told me that Brother Billy came to the office one day and his men practically dictated the whole arrangement, and what they expected. The Publisher kept very quiet for the man of god... the man of money.

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: November 22, 2016 10:48AM

The Mormon intellectual community is minuscule compared to the evangelical Christian community and Oprah fandom.

I have all of Quinn's previous books, but I'm an unusual case.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: November 22, 2016 01:17PM

I preordered it on Amazon months ago. It was supposed to come out in October, but now Amazon says:

"Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date."

I've checked around, but have not found any other news about the book.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: November 22, 2016 02:50PM

I pre-ordered too but I am a fairly patient person, esp. for a Quinn book.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: November 22, 2016 02:32PM

Amazon indicates the release date is Feb. 15, 2017. 800 pages.

Title: Wealth and Corporate Power.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: November 22, 2016 05:07PM

I wish I could get excited about this book but I know that Quinn will have very limited knowledge of the church's recent finances since the church stopped publishing its financial statements back in the 1950's (or was it the 1960's?).

We can do a lot of speculating but the real silver bullet in my opinion is the TOTAL revenue the church brings in (tithing plus investment income) and a DETAILED BREAKDOWN of where this money gets spent. No one has this even, so its been speculated, even the apostles.

It would be a very humbling revelation to the members if they actually knew how the church spent their hard earned cash. The "Brethren" won't be as charitable and wise as they think they are.

Posted by: Cthulhu's Cat ( )
Date: June 02, 2017 04:59PM

Given that mormonleaks keeps leaking financial data, and the 4th-hand rumor is that Quinn keeps trying to update the book with the latest data, we may never see this book.

Posted by: kairos ( )
Date: June 02, 2017 05:54PM

Amazon tells me my prepaid order is to be filled in august 2017 a bump from the previous june date-here's hoping.

the chruch will regret it no longer has FARMS because rebuttal of michael personally ,ad hominem , and his work will be necessary to makke the faithful believe "nothing new here"so move along.
so bring out woody midgely, hambone and donut dan and greg smith-they wallow in this stuff.

Posted by: BTDT ( )
Date: June 04, 2017 10:04PM

I asked the editors last year, and they said the delay is that they are simply trying to get it right. It is 800 pages I've heard.

Date: June 05, 2017 04:17AM

Godspeed D Michael.

Date: June 05, 2017 04:18AM

This is too important to not get everything exactly right.

This is gonna be yuge.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.