Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rain ( )
Date: April 14, 2014 05:30PM

From a missionary blog that I follow in the Seattle area:

"It is now a rule that we have to sing in the shower. Yep. Read it again. And if we don't, our companion is obligated to knock on the door to remind us. And if we still don't, he has to report it to President Choi in his email."

Is this a new rule in all missions or just the Seattle mission?

Wow.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: April 14, 2014 05:31PM

Not a cult. Nope. Not at all.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: April 14, 2014 05:32PM

That is ridiculous.

Posted by: Ruby2 ( )
Date: April 14, 2014 05:34PM

How are they supposed to sing in the shower if they're too busy crying in the shower? (Wish I was joking.)

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: April 14, 2014 05:38PM

There is actually a lot of truth there. I cried in the shower twice a day for the last three months of my mission. (I took two showers a day so that I had more time to be alone and just cry, well and I was cutting my wrists and masturbating all at the same time... very emotional).

Crying is not something I did very often before either.

Posted by: rainwriter ( )

Hymns, I imagine, because that reduces the likelihood of masturbation in the shower.

Posted by: annonme ( )

I bet it's just Seattle. Apparently, it's so the Elders won't be doing other things while standing naked with a bar of soap. Of course, that would all depend on which song you're singing.

Date: April 14, 2014 05:39PM

I thought it might be. In reading a few blogs, I'm getting the sense that there has been a lot of "disobedience" in the area.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 14, 2014 07:06PM

Date: April 14, 2014 07:16PM

I think I remember one mention about the North Bend area, and this kid is in North Seattle, spending most of his time around the UW. And if I remember correctly, there was an issue in the Cougar Mtn area too, but I'm not sure about that.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 14, 2014 07:39PM

Ha. I was trying to make a joke. I guess a pretty bad one. I wasn't thinking of geographical area. LOL

(Sorry). :)

Posted by: fakemoroni ( )

I'm reminded of a scene from "The Right Stuff".

Posted by: Dead Cat ( )

What do they sing? Michael Jackson's "Beat It"?

Date: April 14, 2014 05:36PM

Ohhhh 5 of us posted at the same time. Is that a record?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 14, 2014 05:36PM

Songs for missionaries to sing in the shower:

Hand Jive, by Eric Clapton
My Ding a Ling, by Chuck Berry
Rattlesnake Shake, by Fleetwood Mac
She Bop, by Cyndi Lauper

Date: April 14, 2014 05:46PM

I'll say the obvious....

Come come ye Saints.

Date: April 14, 2014 05:54PM

Though it does have an odd beat.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: April 14, 2014 07:20PM

...and segue into Let's Get It On or Sexual Healing.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: April 14, 2014 05:37PM

I am glad mission presidents are able to come up with such stupid rules. For the critical thinkers that find themselves on missions this type of stuff can really get them to open their eyes to other inane things in the church.

Date: April 14, 2014 05:43PM

Yes- here's a previous post by this poor kid:

"So the latest Washington Seattle mission rule thing, that I actually got a kick out of. Apparently, you are not allowed to write me directly (you're supposed to go through the mission office). I laughed, since the absurd Pharisaical rules are now even trying to extend to people not under their jurisdiction. I think that it's funny that they're so desperate to control our lives that they are even trying to tell parents how to write their children (I can see the horde of angry moms descending on the mission office now....)"

I am optimistic that he might figure it all out one day soon...

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 14, 2014 05:47PM

Elder Luften gets off the plain arriving on time from Seattle. His head is hung so low that his parents and siblings are not certain it his him.

He was caught humming, singing not, in the shower. When asked, the MP said it was very humiliating to have this Elder disobey his inspired rule. The MP said that he has faith that Elder Luften will be able to get more in tune with the spirit of what mishies need to be doing when they are serving under him.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: April 14, 2014 05:49PM

This is insane!! Can we say "Big Brother"!!??

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: April 14, 2014 05:52PM

Yes, let's add to the suggestion list:

'Touch Myself'
'Afternoon Delight'
'Centerfold'

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: April 14, 2014 06:07PM

This is boardering on illigal. I dont know what sort of privacy acts you have currently in the USA but I am guessing adding an extra rule such as this that a missionary didnt agree to is not leagal.

Posted by: anonman ( )
Date: April 14, 2014 06:16PM

Privacy laws are the sort of thing that anyone can waive for themselves.

If the missionary does not agree, he is free to refuse and be excused from his mission.

There are, for example, anti-slavery laws in place. Nobody can make anyone else get up and work for hours on end. But working for hours on end for no pay is one of the requirements of the mission, which is voluntary.

Anyone is free to refuse to sing in shower or work all day. But making such a choice means that one will not be able to complete a mission.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: April 14, 2014 07:23PM

You can sing so badly that your companion waives the requirement.

Posted by: LostAndConfused ( )
Date: April 14, 2014 06:09PM

What???! Are you serious??? WHY? Even for TBMs, that is strange.

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: April 14, 2014 06:27PM

More suggestions:

"Whip It," by Devo
"Having My Baby"

Posted by: anony ( )
Date: April 14, 2014 06:29PM

that's wrong in so many ways!

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: April 14, 2014 06:30PM

"Hold To the Rod"

Posted by: pnwchica ( )
Date: April 14, 2014 06:40PM

This MP is actually a nice guy, but this is kind of over the top.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: April 14, 2014 06:51PM

Believe me, if you have not been under him as a missionary, you really can't be sure. People often show one face to those under them, and another to those they want to con.

Posted by: texexmo ( )
Date: April 14, 2014 06:45PM

Some other blogs from missionaries in the Seattle mission have also mentioned this rule:

“And I want to share with you all a new mission rule we have - Sing when you are in the shower. I'm not joking. It's really a rule. When I first heard it, I was like "President Choi.. really?!" It did sound ridiculous to me at the beginning especially when our mission already had more rules than many other missions. But I obeyed it anyway because I knew that President Choi had received the keys to preside over the Washington Seattle Mission, so whatever he says is from God. As I started singing in the shower, I understood more about why we were given this rule. Shower time used to be a time for me to think about whatever I wanted, and quite often I would think of things that were not mission related. But now we have to sing hymns in the shower, so I can't really think about anything else besides missionary work and the Gospel of Jesus Christ. This rule definitely helps me to stay focused on my purpose.”

“I take great respect and trust in the council of my mission President. My companion and I made a goal of inviting someone to commit to baptism once a day to start off. My mission president is all about singing as well. We must sing in the shower and with everyone we meet. I love to sing while riding my bike as well. Im trying to memorize more hymns and it really does help.”

This is the attitude I had as a missionary. Obedience was more important than anything else. Everything that comes from the mission president (or other priesthood leader) is coming from God. Not until I left the Church did I realize how cultish and potentially dangerous that mindset is.

Posted by: flecher ( )
Date: April 14, 2014 07:04PM

Elder Swansong; Elder Jenssen?
Elder Jenssen; Yes, Elder Swansong?
Elder Swansong; Would you join me in a duet of rejoicing?
[sound of front door opening and closing]

Elder Swansong; Oh well, guess I'll have to handle it myself.

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: April 14, 2014 07:22PM

"Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody wang Chung tonight".

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: April 14, 2014 07:28PM

So sing along in the shower guys:

Sung to the LDS Hymnal: Hymn 255 “Carry On”
(Lyrics for the full time Elders)

Vs 1
Firm as the mountains around me,
Stalwart and brave I stand
With the cock dear father gave me
It’s here in my manly hand—
The rocks of my manhood and home brew,
Below me are trembling true.
I’ll raise my dear friend triumphant—
And sing and shout woo–hoo.

Chorus
And we hear the Elder singing:
Carry on, carry on, carry on!
Thrills and chills, my emotions singing:
Holding aloft Mister Happy,
I’ll stroke in the glorious dawn.
O youth of the noble birthright,

https://www.lds.org/music/library/hymns/carry-on?lang=eng
Click the link, hit the play button, and read the lyrics with the music. Imagine the Elder singing this to the top of his lungs.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2014 07:39PM by jiminycricket.

Date: April 14, 2014 07:30PM

Good lyrics.

Posted by: im behind enemy lines ( )
Date: April 14, 2014 07:28PM

"Stroke me" by Billy Squier

Posted by: exmorphmon ( )
Date: April 14, 2014 07:40PM

Just wait till next conference... when Prez Monson announces from the pulpit

"My dear Broz and Sisz. I have had a revelation, that we must be a happier people. From this day forth Goed has instructed me, instuctoid all uf us, to sing in the shower. Not werldly songs, no no noooo. Sing hymns to Him. If we obey, I testify to you we will all be smiling like jackalls and rabid dogs and our neighbors will notice, and will become curious, and the werk will be hastened!" Thus confusing the masses and alienating the Seattle mission missionary ulumni realizing it was a rip off from their torturous two years and now they have to do it again.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.