Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kingbrigham ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 09:57AM

After an average increase of 36,000 members per year since 2000, the number of new members dropped to 27,000 last year.

Even more telling is the drop in new units. The change in units was negative .45% in 2011, negative .75% in 2012 and negative .25% last year. Average annual growth in units since 2000 has been slightly over one percent.

In addition, 315,000 people identified themselves as LDS in the 2010 census, while the church listed an official membership that year of 1.2 million. Meanwhile, the computed membership based on the number of units in 2010 was 401,800*. Again based on total units, the membership as of last year was computed at 396,000.

* The number of units in 2010 (2,009) times 200. An article in the Ensign in 1981 stated that average attendance on Sundays is less than 200. (https://www.lds.org/ensign/1981/11/news-of-the-church/a-new-generation-of-meetinghouses?lang=eng)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 12:23PM

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 12:34PM

I sense a new meme being created!

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 12:36PM

Please keep posting everything you know about the work in Mexico. My nephew is leaving for a mission in central Mexico at the end of May - and weirdly, isn't going to the Mexico MTC but going out to the one in Provo. Anything anyone knows about the work there is of huge interest to me. Thanks a lot for posting this.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 12:37PM

what is a "unit" ?

Posted by: kingbrigham ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 12:44PM

Units (congregations) = wards plus branches

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 12:50PM

A unit is a configuration of fully-programed, somewhat operational, less viable, and obsolete 'carbon units'.

The unit may contain discarded, useless and lost carbonizations in order to increase the statistical numbers and impress the collective.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2014 12:59PM by jiminycricket.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 12:59PM

Win win win win win win win !!!!!!!!!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 01:13PM

Mexico: 118.4 million people (2013); thus if one accepts TSCC numbers, about 1% of Mexicans are LDS.

I suspect that the self-reporting numbers (active persons?) is far more true-to-life representative.

While we're discussing stats.... when a ward can't locate a member... is 'the record' "sent" to SLC? (electronic)

errors: has anyone living received a 'Death Notice' from TSCC...where u 'have to' go in with ID & 'prove' you're still alive?

Posted by: Mr. Happy ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 01:32PM

Well, I know that up until around a year ago, my son was well on his way towards his goal of 100 baptisms for his mission. Then he got a new mission president who put more emphasis on reactivation than new baptisms as well as member referrals over tracting. He was pissed that his numbers dropped.

It seems that in the last few months though things have kind of switched back. He was recently transferred to open a new area (his last area before coming home) and seems to be doing well with baptisms.

Posted by: outsider ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 02:26PM

For this calculation:
* The number of units in 2010 (2,009) times 200. An article in the Ensign in 1981 stated that average attendance on Sundays is less than 200. (https://www.lds.org/ensign/1981/11/news-of-the-church/a-new-generation-of-meetinghouses?lang=eng)

I suspect that attendance outside the US is lower than inside. Looking at an average of 150 people attending at wards and 50% of that at branches (which is still far too high, IMHO), the number of active members would be 264,000) which seems more realistic in that one expect the number of regular attendees to be lower than the ones who self-report as members.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 04:28PM

I customarily do an estimating head count. It is consistantly around 125 in a ward of about 600. (This is an estimate don't jump on me)

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 05:43PM

I heard the numbers that they stated
Their membership was well inflated
I understand just a little
No comprende, it's a riddle

I'm on a Mexican ratio
I'm on a whoa-oh Mexican ratio

(apologies to Wall of Voodoo)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.