Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: curtis ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 05:40PM

I've been in the church my whole life, but been struggling with some doctrinal issues for several years. Told my wife about 5 years ago that I was struggling. Her very understanding response was to get pissed off at me and call me a liar. I've been quiet but questioning since. And not once since then did she ever bother to ask how I was doing. All was well in Zion as long as I just shut up and kept going.

I had an epiphany- an answer to prayers- last Saturday night at the priesthood session, during Monson's talk when he told of a father's advice to his boy: "If you find yourself somewhere you ought not be, get out." And it hit me, stronger than anything ever has. It's time to get out.

I'll be out. Soon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Facsimile 3 ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 05:48PM

Congratulations, but brace yourself for the buffetings of Satan and the dark hue that will fix itself to your countenance as you look in the mirror (it can be quite startling).

Ha ha...all kidding aside, it is a bit scary transitioning away from your old superstitious world view, but ultimately worth it...good luck!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2014 05:49PM by Facsimile 3.

Posted by: dejavue ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 06:09PM

Congrats and check back in with us often. It probably won't be easy but IT WILL BE WORTH IT!

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 08:19PM

Good luck. Leaving the church while having a believing spouse can be tricky.

There must be something about the five year mark. I continued to go to church for about that time after I stopped believing, until one day I just decided that enough was enough. I quit going to church a few months ago. Even though it's been really hard because I have a TBM husband, I have to say that I don't miss the church even one little bit. I don't ever want to go back.

Posted by: jedmunds2 ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 10:45PM

I wish you the best of luck, I hope your wife can be accepting if not understanding. This sounds like one of the most difficult things you will ever do, but you've got people standing beside you 100%.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 11:31PM

jedmunds2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> but you've got people standing beside you 100%.

Yes...Very much...Yes...

Posted by: curtis ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 10:06PM

Thanks, everyone. I'm just deciding how to break the news. Already talked to her. Parents and family will be another issue- I have ancestors all over church history. I'll keep you posted.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 10:07PM

Best wishes, curtis.

Posted by: Emmabiteback ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 10:19PM

Curtis..first off, I almost named my son Curtis. Love your name. Sorry, about the contention heading your way. You have something great to offer if you are willing to live your life according to your opinions and life driven decisions. Hold strong to that inate drive. Only you know the way to your happiness. I hope your wife will understand your shift also. Take baby steps with her perception, but make her feel loved too. Choppy waters for sure..anchor yourself!

Posted by: annihilation ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 10:15PM

I wrote a letter to break the news. I would suggest you write one to get all your thoughts down and make sure you're coming across the way you want to (polite, respectful, or however else you want to do it). You don't have to break the news with the letter, but it does help to write one to collect your thoughts.

And then if you chicken out of saying it, you have a backup plan!

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 10:14PM

curtis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I had an epiphany- an answer to prayers- last
> Saturday night at the priesthood session, during
> Monson's talk when he told of a father's advice to
> his boy: "If you find yourself somewhere you ought
> not be, get out." And it hit me, stronger than
> anything ever has. It's time to get out.
>
> I'll be out. Soon.

My best wishes are with you now for the smoothest and easiest transition possible, Curtis...

...and the best possible and happiest landing which can be yours...

Tevai

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.