Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 02:08PM

Need a book recommendation for someone who is beginning on the journey. The request is for a book by a Bible scholar who is a believer--and being a Mormon author isn't specified.

So far they've begun on the journey by reading some of Bart Ehrman.

I'm thinking Karen Armstrong's A History of God, but I don't know if she qualifies a as a believer. Or Elaine Pagels either. It's been a long time since I've read the History of God, but this seems a good place to start for smart, educated Mormons to start.

Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 02:16PM

I think they are believers but very liberal.Bruce Chilton, John Dominic Crossan and Spong are also believers although Spong and Crossan are extremely liberal and reject a lotmof Christian ideas.Philip Yancy is another.

Posted by: Happy Hare Krishna ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 03:40PM

Someone who explicitly requests a book by a (Christian) "believer" author might be expecting an author who follows a more "traditional" Christian belief.

Posted by: Interested ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 03:55PM

I highly recommend Kenneth Hagin, Jerry Sevile, Kenneth Copeland, Jesse Duplantis and Creflo Dollar. They are extremely knowledgable teachers.

Posted by: Callie ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 06:56PM

They are the crazy guys on TV who want your money. Avoid at all costs.

Date: April 12, 2014 06:38PM

Probably, but that is why I qualified. I cant recommend conservative religious books if I havent read them. Phantom Shadow can decide if the ones I mentioned are worth the time.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 07:44PM

I've read some Crossan (and attended a fantastic all-day program where he spoke--maybe 6-7 years ago. I also have some of Spong's books. I'll check on the other two you mention, bona idea.

My problem is finding a serious Biblical scholar who qualifies as what I think they mean by "a believer." I checked the names offered by "interested" and these wouldn't fill the bill at all. We're talking about books for people who have Ph.D.s themselves, albeit not in humanities, religion or social sciences.

Date: April 12, 2014 08:56PM

My reading on the subject is academic so I dont ordinarily read stuff by conservative believers. Sorry.Yancy or Chilton might work for you,but you probably should google them and see if they fit your bill

Posted by: Particles of Faith ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 10:26PM

I've read a lot of Spong, Ehrmann and Crossan and if a belief in the resurrection defines a "believer" they do not define themselves as such in the works I've read.

Personally, I enjoy all three of them.

Date: April 12, 2014 10:30PM

Ehrman is not a beliecer. He is agnostic leaning toward atheism. Spong is an Episcopalian priest who thinks the resurrection may have been a vision.He is unsure. Crossan considers himself as a believer of sorts.Conservative Christians would probably not consider Spong or Crossan as Christians.

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 11:04PM

For a Mormon who is a conservative "chapel Mormon", I would recommend:

David Bokovoy. Authoring the Old Testament: Genesis–Deuteronomy. Salt Lake City: Greg Kofford Books, 2014.

It is held by Deseret Book:
http://deseretbook.com/Authoring-Old-Testament-Genesis-Deuteronomy-David-E-Bokovoy/i/5123915

This is written by an "internet" Mormon scholar who will blow any idea about the OT being history totally out of the water, and puts the BoM on very shaky ground. DB is a genuine scholar, and his faith in the Church is "nuanced" to say the least. While he and the mopologists can apparently stay faithful in spite of what they know, this will be a solid chunk of meat for a conservative TBM.(I wouldn't call DB a "mopologist", he doesn't use the shady tactics we associate with the mopos, DB is a genuine scholar)

You can get an idea of the book from an excellent series of podcasts on Mormon Matters here (David Bokovoy was one of the panelists):
http://mormonmatters.org/2013/10/01/194-197-genesis-part-1-creation-garden-expulsion-cursing/

The whole series takes over 4 hours, and it is fascinating. But respectful of traditional believers without pulling punches.

That it is sold by Deseret Book and written by a faithful scholar should allow a TBM to read it in good conscience. But it is a book like Rough Stone Rolling and Mormon Enigma - going to rattle a few faith cages!

Having said all that, DB has further books planned; I am really interested to see how he handles the deutero-Isaiah issue - a critical flaw in the BoM.

Posted by: dot ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 11:58AM

Thank you for the this. I actually get intellectual stimulation from RfM, something unavailable from TSCC's Sunday meetings.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.