Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: i finally left ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 01:35PM

I have seen a therapist about the fact that my 20 year old DD seems to be turning - big time - back to TSCC. I've also gotten great advice from you at this board. The general concensus seems to be - I should lay low - that the more I push against what she's doing - the more she'll push towards what she's doing.

But she's out there, on the patio, with a BOM and a yellow highlighter in her hand! The therapist did suggest that at some point I can just give her list of a few links - that she can look at if / when she wants.

What I WANT to do is run out there and tell her that although there ARE many good messages in the BOM that it is NOT!! scripture from GOD! And - sigh - one of the classes she's taking her first semester this fall at the "Y" is "Book of Mormon."

Ugh!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 01:48PM

This must be so uncomfortable. Could you simply go out and ask her to explain the passages she picked, and just listen. It might build trust, and youmight learn something about her reasoning.

You have my sympathy.

Posted by: I finally left ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 02:24PM

Haha - THANK YOU! That made me laugh - just what I needed!

Posted by: msp ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 12:16PM

Heresy's offering to help and you're simply laughing it off. Really quite rude.
Like me, you may not be able to stomach looking at the BoM, which is understandable. Heresy's suggestion's still a valid one.

Posted by: villager ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 01:56PM

The fact that she is using a highlighter continually means that it is boring as hell, and the smell of it helps her feel a little bit spiritually high.
Just saying.
And besides those pages so thin that a highlighter will color both sides of a page.

Posted by: vh65 ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 02:16PM

That BYU BOM class may have been the beginning of the end for me. All those religion classes had crazy stuff I couldn't agree with in them.

But it seems she is looking for something - and of course, going through that stage where parents are just wrong about so much (I have a 20-year-old too). May I suggest looking for things that might fill her needs that you could enjoy together? Unitarian church activities? Or just having warm fun together - shopping, traveling... Build those ties instead of fighting so she will want to come back to you.

Date: April 12, 2014 02:30PM

Thank you - for your complete understanding - yes the parents of 20 -ish year olds are wrong about so much. I remember being there myself.

Your advice is very good - / make more time for that warm fun / building ties - GREAT advice. Yes - I do want her to want to stay close - and it's SO hard not to just fight against this in a bold way.

Thank you! (And I hope her BOM experience is the same for her - although there seems to be continual effort by TSCC to mainstream / normalize - so we'll see -fingers crossed!)

Posted by: Z ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 02:17PM

I'm reading the BOM with a pencil and a notebook. Maybe if you're lucky she's highlighting all the parts that make no sense or are extremely problematic... which so far in my reading is a whole hell of a lot of highlighting...

Date: April 12, 2014 02:34PM

!! Ha - that would be a relief, though it's probably not the case. She's too much like me - the last time I studied the BOM (as a true blue) it was with a pencil and notebook -with very sincere and detailed notes about each and every important message and how it could apply to my life...

You never know, though - thank you for the input!

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 02:28PM

I wonder what she's highlighting or trying to find answers to

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 09:08PM

If she's taking BOM class at the "Y" she could be studying for
her class. You have to know stuff in the book whether you
believe it or not to get a good grade, but I've also been told
that bearing a stirring testimony to how much the class made you
believe in the Morg will kick your grade up at least a letter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2014 09:08PM by baura.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 09:10PM

This is a little off topic, but where I work, we sell erasable highlighters! They are pretty cool.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 09:47PM

Can you get her to read the CES letter? Or maybe the Tanners' book Covering Up The Black Hole in the Book of Mormon since she's taking a class on the BOM?

Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 10:04PM

If it's any consolation, my younger SIL became an "apostate" after taking the BOM course at BYU.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 10:07PM

Go to Walgreens. Buy a syringe. When she leaves the highlighter alone, inject it with bleach. See how she reacts when God redacts parts of the BOM.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.