Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Hopeful, maybe ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 07:15PM

Although I am not active, I am still on the email lists. A young man in our ward needs more surgeries for a lifelong disability. The family (and lots of extended family members) have been active, fully involved members for years and years. The insurance company is not willing to pay anymore for this boy to have the needed surgeries. The ward is asking people to fast for him.

My thought is, why doesn't the church help? They send help all over the world...surgeons to 3rd world countries, wheelchairs in poor nations, etc. Why can't they come up with the $100k (or whatever it is) to help this family? I'm tempted to say something to the family or the bishop, but am afraid they'll think I'm just trying to stir up trouble.

What do you think? Have you ever heard of the church helping someone besides with food for emergencies, or short-term relief?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 07:21PM

No, they generally do not get involved with things like this.

Posted by: anonman ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 07:22PM

If 100K will cover the surgery, it must be a pretty simple procedure.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 07:27PM

Outside of TSCC people help - not just offer prayers.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 07:36PM

Pray all you want. Until someone shows up with some cash, its a no go.

I had cancer. The entire ward could have prayed and fasted. In the end it was my good insurance and experienced Dr's that saved my life. It cost 50k to have a lump the size of a pea extracted, plus radiation afterward. If not for insurance, that would have totally trashed our financial life. It would have taken us years to recover.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 08:05PM

They TAKE not GIVE

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 08:07PM

If the morg were to help, odds are it will have strings attached somehow.

Posted by: finallygetsit ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 03:24AM

A few years ago, my parent's ward helped pay for some of my dad's surgeries. I don't think they're still doing it. And I don't know what strings may have been attached.

Posted by: mew ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 03:45AM

Hey- TSCC will give them the same roasts and veggies every two weeks for the next year so that they can pay for it. It's flipping laughable. I can't stand the "charity" or lack thereof they claim to give. Whatever. I wish this family well and send good thoughts!

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 04:24AM

The church helps mainly those who don't need it, if anyone at all. Mostly it's lip service. A chapel and the website and layers are more important to them than insuring all members who attend and assuring them that it has their back. A bishop once promised help but never followed through. That was just one more reason I saw right through him and his pack. Wishing this family wellness.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2014 04:24AM by moremany.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 06:59PM

The REAL problem is that if the the family added up all the tithing, and time they have given to tscc over the years, they would probably have MORE than enough to pay for the needed surgeries. It is a farce!

I am SO sorry for that poor young man, and my prayers and good thoughts are with him and his family. I wish I could do more. Poor kid!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.