Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 01:30PM

Stories like these make me wonder about the "reach" of LDS Inc's money and the media's aiding and abetting of the acceptance of Mormonism. It sets back ex-mormonism every time one of these fluff pieces runs.

And when did this happen...

"For Mormons, this about-face on social media was nearly as radical as ending the ban on beer."

Thanks for the article link Stray Mutt!

Or so it seems to me...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: apawst8 ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 02:45PM

BeenThereDunnThatExMo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Stories like these make me wonder about the
> "reach" of LDS Inc's money and the media's aiding
> and abetting of the acceptance of Mormonism. It
> sets back ex-mormonism every time one of these
> fluff pieces runs.
>
> And when did this happen...
>
> "For Mormons, this about-face on social media was
> nearly as radical as ending the ban on beer."

The WoW explicitly allows drinks made from barley, which is a main ingredient of beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2014 02:45PM by apawst8.

Posted by: vh65 ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 01:59PM

I found it deeply disturbing that the missionaries (and the author) seemed to think it was a wonderful thing they could teach this minor (age 15!) religious ideas his parents wouldn't approve of over the Internet secretly, so they wouldn't know or be able to interfere.

This is immoral, irresponsible cult behavior and should be illegal. I promise, if any LDS teen's parents learned he/she was being converted to, say, Islam or Jainism via the Internet, they would scream bloody murder and demand it stop.

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 02:04PM

Isn't there a law or rule against adults privately contacting minors using social media? Last thing I would want is a couple of unknown males making secret plans with my kids.

Posted by: redbullet750 ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 02:42PM

Complete fluff piece. I'd be surprised if she wasn't paid by the church in some way or another.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 02:49PM

Judging from the comments on Facebook, it seems that many people see that it's a fluff piece, probably paid for by the cult. Most on Huff Post's Facebook page are saying that TSCC is a cult and they don't want to be told to wear magic underwear and give up 10% of their income.

Posted by: QWE ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 02:51PM

Why are people over-reacting to this? There's dozens of articles written about mormonism every week. It's only logical that occasionally there'll be one that's positive towards mormonism.

Posted by: not-for-prophet ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 03:32PM

How does an online church actually work?

Is there a virtual baptism where all you have to do is click the baptize me now button?

And they can use paypal for tithing. Brilliant!

Wow, I guess this is the future of mormonism... :)

Posted by: The other Sofia ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 03:47PM

I like the way the kid bonds with the online missionary, he changes his life, joins the church, flies from Canada to SLC 8 1/2 hours for his homecoming, surprises him and the missionary is completely UNDER whelmed. Like no bigi deal. LOL That says it all. The missionary got his baptism stat. His caring was fake.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 03:54PM

This feels like reading a deseret news piece. Awful piece of work. How did this make it past an editor?

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 03:54PM

Ugh, ugh, ugh. What a horrible story -- not a good of example of journalism, that's for sure.

A 15 year old kid whose is seriously undereducated about religion is manipulated online by mormon missionaries. How is that a good thing?

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 03:59PM

My take from another post about this article:

I found the article to be a bit disturbing. “Overwhelmed with horrible feelings” about his decision to convert, L’Espérance debated expunging his name from church records just moments after taking his vow. He rushed home, where he says he “cried my life out,” masturbated and refused to speak to anyone."

And

"After his 8 1/2-hour flight from Canada and two nights in Salt Lake, L’Espérance went to the church where he knew Tucker would be speaking at a Sacrament meeting. L’Espérance went up to introduce himself as soon as Tucker finished his talk. The reunion wasn’t quite what L’Espérance had hoped for."

So their golden convert might have had a few personal problems. . . .what's new?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.