Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: February 22, 2011 04:32PM

Someone mentioned this in another thread...please explain..does the Morg have a secret wooden submarine armada in those tunnels under the Temple or something?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2011 04:32PM by lostinutah.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: February 22, 2011 04:33PM

Ehm, doesn't wood float?

Date: February 22, 2011 04:36PM

Right, that's why I'm wanting an explanation...or were the submarines built to carry magnets?

Posted by: FFS ( )
Date: February 22, 2011 05:20PM

This magnet theme is so effing tedious. Are you trying to be funny?

Date: February 22, 2011 05:21PM

yup, it's about as tedious as the nonsense in the bom.

Posted by: FFS ( )
Date: February 22, 2011 05:58PM

true dat

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: February 22, 2011 04:36PM

I think you may be thinking about in the BOM when they're crossing the Atlantic and there's a really big storm and the boats actually go under the water for a time?

Am I getting this right? I read the BOM once last year and I seem to remember something about that. But I may be confused. Every time I got confused I just filled it in with war

Date: February 22, 2011 04:39PM

Im not sure the claim in the BofM is that they crossed the Atlantic, is it?

Date: February 22, 2011 04:42PM

No. I am pretty sure they don't use the word Atlantic. But I'm thinking as it is the big body of water btwn the Eastern world and the Americas, that's what they're referring to.

They did have a big storm, didn't they? Didn't the boats Lehi and crew were in actually go under the water for a time?

Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Date: February 22, 2011 04:44PM

I know I didn't pay too much attention in Geography class, but I think that's the Pacific...

Yeah, big storm, plunged into depths of the sea, but flocks and herds and all their pooh were fine and didn't cause any issues...

Date: February 22, 2011 04:49PM

And I happen to know that once they got out of the woods they were in for 7 or 14 years or whatever they would have sailed out of the Mediterranean Sea through the Straight of Gibraltar and then across the Atlantic. (Take my word for it, I do teach geography otherwise I'd never be able to spell Mediterranean.)

Unless when they were in the woods all those years they were crossing Asia? Am I missing something else? And if that's the case why are all these apologists trying to find proof that the Native Americans are of Jewish descent? Clearly they didn't walk across the Bering Land Bridge, they sailed their boats under water just a little south following all that game, right?

Posted by: You are stupid ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 02:19AM

The sailed from the Red Sea. Last I checked a globe that means they took the Indian Ocean and Pacific Ocean route. This is the reason our children's education is screwed.

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 03:21AM

The wooden, submergible barges were the transportation of the Jaredites, not the Nephites. The BOM does not mention the Red Sea in conjunction with the Jaredite story. It states that they traveled northward through the valley of Nimrod, then through the wilderness to the "great sea that divideth the lands". They then crossed that sea in their wooden barges to wherever the BOM took place. Maybe it was the Red Sea, maybe it was the Mediterranean Sea, it could have even been the Arctic Ocean for all the BOM tells us.

I do think you are onto something with this statement though:
"This is the reason our children's education is screwed."
Yes, our children's education is screwed when we are teaching them ridiculous stories like this.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 05:44AM

If they came over here via the Pacific Ocean, those BOM artifacts diggers better head over here to California. This has been the problem all these years. The sonuvabitches have been digging in the wrong place...

Bound to find a ton of Nephite and Lamanite swords and shit over here in sunny Cal ... lol

Posted by: reuben ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 06:34AM

#1 the submersibles deal with the Jaredites.

# Nephi used the Indian/Pacific route. IF you read the BOM it gives you the directions they took on land before building the boats. That route takes them to the red sea, not the Med.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 11:10AM

"And I happen to know that once they got out of the woods they were in for 7 or 14 years or whatever they would have sailed out of the Mediterranean Sea through the Straight of Gibraltar and then across the Atlantic. (Take my word for it, I do teach geography otherwise I'd never be able to spell Mediterranean.)"

Did you miss class the day they taught about the Strait (not Straight) of Gibraltar? :-)

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 11:56AM

They buried Nephi's Father-in-law in Nahom.
http://www.examiner.com/article/evidence-for-the-book-of-mormon-do-nahom-and-bountiful-exist

Now the Jaredites left from Babel; so they may have come across the Atlantic.

Date: February 22, 2011 04:38PM

Maybe the wooden submarines were illustrating the miraculous nature of something or other (i.e., that wood floats), and of course JS was involved...???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2011 04:43PM by lostinutah.

Posted by: brett ( )
Date: February 22, 2011 04:49PM

you can google it to get all the info.

Posted by: Flat Lander ( )
Date: February 22, 2011 04:59PM

Back when I had friends, we lived in and sang about our wooden submarine, but then four guys from England changed the words and started singing about a yellow submarine.

Now, I just live in a regular house. It's actually easier. Submarines don't do well in the Platte River in Nebraska, not even wooden ones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2011 05:00PM by Flat Lander.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: February 22, 2011 05:18PM

the references to 'wooden submarines' are the Jaredite Barges in the Bom
Ether 2:17 And they were built after a manner that they were exceedingly tight, even that they would hold water like unto a dish; and the bottom thereof was tight like unto a dish; and the sides thereof were tight like unto a dish; and the ends thereof were peaked; and the top thereof was tight like unto a dish; and the length thereof was the length of a tree; and the door thereof, when it was shut, was tight like unto a dish.

2:20 And the Lord said unto the brother of Jared: Behold, thou shalt make a hole in the top, and also in the bottom; and when thou shalt suffer for air thou shalt unstop the hole and receive air. And if it be so that the water come in upon thee, behold, ye shall stop the hole, that ye may not perish in the flood.

2:24 For behold, ye shall be as a whale in the midst of the sea; for the mountain waves shall dash upon you. Nevertheless, I will bring you up again out of the depths of the sea

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: February 22, 2011 05:56PM

"And the Lord said: Go to work and build, after the manner of barges which ye have hitherto built. And it came to pass that the brother of Jared did go to work, and also his brethren, and built barges after the manner which they had built, according to the instructions of the Lord. And they were small, and they were light upon the water, even like unto the lightness of a fowl upon the water.
"And they were built after a manner that they were exceedingly tight, even that they would hold water like unto a dish; and the bottom thereof was tight like unto a dish; and the sides thereof were tight like unto a dish; and the ends thereof were peaked; and the top thereof was tight like unto a dish; and the length thereof was the length of a tree; and the door thereof, when it was shut, was tight like unto a dish." (Book of Mormon | Ether 2:16 - 17)

"And it came to pass that they were many times buried in the depths of the sea, because of the mountain waves which broke upon them, and also the great and terrible tempests which were caused by the fierceness of the wind.
"And it came to pass that when they were buried in the deep there was no water that could hurt them, their vessels being tight like unto a dish, and also they were tight like unto the ark of Noah; therefore when they were encompassed about by many waters they did cry unto the Lord, and he did bring them forth again upon the top of the waters." (Book of Mormon | Ether 6:6 - 7)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2011 05:59PM by Fetal Deity.

Posted by: delightsome ( )
Date: February 22, 2011 07:04PM

30 years later Old Joe would have written tight like unto Fanny Alger.

In fact a prophet should have seen that and written it then.

Posted by: lastofthewine ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 02:51AM

Dish can mean fox, as in an attractive female. What a dish!

Tight can mean cool, but also, ummm, snug.

Posted by: authorandproprietor ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 03:05AM

delightsome Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 30 years later Old Joe would have written tight
> like unto Fanny Alger.
>
For those in the U.S.A, sometime try googling the UK meaning of 'Fanny'. You'll never think of JS and Fanny in the same way, ever again.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: February 22, 2011 07:12PM

There were wooden submarines and it is inconceivable that Smith -hungry as he was for knowledge- would not have heard of them/
http://www.submarine-history.com/NOVAone.htm is a good resource.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 02:41AM

With like blow holes.

Date: February 26, 2015 02:54AM

Plugs were strategically timed to be stuffed into the holes, else the barges would sink.

Date: February 26, 2015 02:56AM

were vented thusly.

Date: February 26, 2015 03:02AM

There was a prophet aboard who knew precisely when to plug which hole.

Date: February 26, 2015 03:09AM

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 12:13PM

Time to post my yearly "Well, isn't that a coincidence?" link for Erie canal barges, which JS would probably would have gone to see (since they were a local wonder of the day), and the Jaredite barges:
http://www.uvm.edu/landscape/dating/boats/canal_barges_files/image002.jpg

http://www.uvm.edu/landscape/dating/boats/canal_barges.php

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 01:30PM

Not as big a coincidence as Ashes Horses and Tapirs!

Srcsm

Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 01:36PM

I wonder if the Beetles could get sued by the relatives on the original Jaredites.

The original song went something like 'We all live in a wooden submarine'

Or so I was told.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.