Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sanctorian ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 07:22PM

I've been thinking about the endowment ceremony lately. I find it odd that you watch a video when doing proxy work for the dead. It's not like you do proxy investigator missionary lessons before you get baptized for the dead. No, when you do everything else in the temple, you just blaze through as many names as possible within a short period of time. Baptisms, washing and anointings, sealings. These are all about getting as many names done as possible within a short period of time. Why not just stand at the veil and get 10 people their secret names and handshakes all in a row? Why the video for the endowment and why only one name at a time?

I believe I have the answer. The endowment is not about proxy work at all. It is designed to further the brainwashing and cult membership of the living, not the dead.

Quote: "You and each of you covenant and promise before God, angels, and these witnesses at this altar, that you do accept the Law of Consecration as contained in the Doctrine and Covenants, in that you do consecrate yourselves, your time, talents, and everything with which the Lord has blessed you, or with which he may bless you, to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, for the building up of the Kingdom of God on the earth and for the establishment of Zion"

The last line is the most important. A dead person cannot consecrate anything to anything on the earth, let alone a church. Only a live person can do that. It would make sense that when you receive your endowment for yourself that you would commit to those things, but after that first viewing of the video, you should never have to watch it again. The endowment is not for the dead, it's for the living to continue in their fear of not committing everything to the church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 08:41PM

I once asked if the atonement was universal. Why not do one endowment for everyone?

Got a lot of weird looks but no answers.

Posted by: lily ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 08:44PM

Yup.

The Law of Consecration, Law of Chastity, promising not to tell others the secrets-

None of that is applicable to the dead. I mean, I guess ghosts could tell each other the handshakes if they are sick of waiting in spirit prison, but...

Posted by: nationalnewscampaign ( )
Date: March 13, 2014 12:21AM

It's to indoctrinate the living. It works too!

what I like is that even when you go to a networking meeting in Utah, when they swear a new member into a chapter the chapter president is as likely to say in all seriousness "Bring your arm to the square" as to say what s/he is supposed to say, which is "Raise your right arm".

Heard it this very morning.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.