Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: JamesL ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 05:40PM

The apartment complex I live in has a rule against any form of soliciting on the property. This applies to religious solicitors. The Jehovah's Witnesses, when informed of this, have always said, "That doesn't apply to us." The LDS missionaries were told several years ago that they weren't to come on to the property unless they were specifically invited to see a resident. They did not return.

Until today. Two LDS boys in shiny white shirts knocked on my door. When I informed them of the prohibition on their activities on the property, they told me, "Our mission president said we should ignore those signs, that what we're doing is more important."

Oh, really?

Is this some new missionary rule? Is it just in this area? Or is this the same old "we're LDS so our desires over-rule everyone else's wants and wishes"?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 05:43PM

You are not special. They have been doing that for over 40 years that I know of. Missionaries are "SPECIAL" and getting your donation dollars is way more important.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 05:50PM

We used to sneak into apartment buildings all the time on our mission. We'd ring the speaker until someone just buzzed us in and away we went from apartment door to apartment door. So disrespectful I think now.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 05:51PM

Yep, did that as well.

Posted by: JamesL ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 05:53PM

When I did the LDS missionary bit, we were told to respect "No Soliciting" signs and not enter any property that was marked in such a way. I"m realizing that we were the exception rather than the rule.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 05:56PM

THey should hire mishies prez's to be prison guards. Both jobs take a lot of arrogance and a feeling of NO FEAR of anything ever.
I personally find it odd that nobody ever got slugged in the face for being so arrogant.

I know that I'm tempted to get rid of mishies any way deemed necessary. Fortunately my loud foul mouth embarrasses them enough!

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 06:02PM

We did the same buzzer ringing in Germany and Austria. In fact, one evening, we buzzed and someone actually came to the courtyard door to see who it was. My companion, fresh from Orem, kept his foot in the door a bit. After a few minutes, he pushed open the door and stuck his head around the corner. Wham!! Door slammed on his head. Ouch!!

Posted by: danboyle ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 06:05PM

We were told to ignore those signs as well, France 1979-1981. I only got hauled off by the police once ...

Posted by: cynthia ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 06:14PM

I sometimes make calls for my work informing customers of upcoming sales. Occasionally I get the message that the number I called does not accept solicitations. I always hang up. When I told my boss I was doing this I was told those messages didn't apply to calls from our store, we aren't selling anything, we are just giving information, so leave a message anyway. So I guess the no solicitation applies to those other people, the ones with items in hand ready to make a deal. I still hang up when I get that message, I know what no soliciting means. No soliciting means don't bug me no matter what your spiel is.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 06:19PM

I would ask for the mission prezs name and number.

If the missionaries declined to give the information, I would have indicated that I would have pressed trespassing charges against them.

I would have called the MP.

Had he not taken my call, I would have sent him a certified letter that he would have never forgot. Additionally that letter would indicate that it would be shared on social media with encouragement to others to share.

Posted by: Benvolio ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 09:04PM

In my mission there was a law prohibiting solicitation from "door to door," so we always skipped a few doors in between.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 09:52PM

I live in an area with signs posted at the entrance: no soliciting, no loitering, no trespassing, no door to door, all very clear.

People still ignore the signs, or don't read them or think they can go door to door and tell people they have authorization from management. No. Not true!

The missionaries that ignore those signs are quickly told to
leave. The mission president knows it's off-limits, but sometimes the missionaries think they can ignore the signs.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.