Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: chocolatetestimoney ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 05:23PM

All of this shunning stuff doesn't make any sense.

The LDS Church claim to be Christian.

It has JC in it's name for God's sake.

My review of the New Testament doesn't raise one instance where
Jesus gave the cold shoulder to someone because they didn't believe in him.

Well maybe he did when he tossed the money changers out but that is debatable.

Don't these mormons who are scared off by people who leave the church read their own scriptures?

Don't they understand what Christianity is purportedly all about?

Should it really matter whether someone accepts the Joseph Smith Story or not?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: zenmaster ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 05:31PM

Church members are so afraid that the "unbelievers" will "lead them astray"...truthfully, the foundations of the LDS religion are so shaky (as I found out through my own research), that the only way they can remain believing is by sheltering themselves as much as possible. "Unbelievers" constitute a "clear and present danger" in many TBM minds.

My two cents...

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 05:43PM

They think those they shun will reconsider their bad decision and possibly return to the fold to regain favor with the Mormons.

Shunning might teach lost sheep a valuable lesson which will save their eternal souls.

Posted by: redpillswallowed ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 05:43PM

My wife and I were talking about this a few days ago. Totally agree with you.

It is borderline insanity to see family and friends turn on you just for changing your belief system. Especially when you have never mistreated them past or present.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 05:49PM

I get why you are confused, you forgot all of the parts of the Old and New Testament that advocate "shunning".

Romans 16:17
I appeal to you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and create obstacles contrary to the doctrine that you have been taught; avoid them.

Galatians 6:1
Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted.

Titus 3:9-11
But avoid foolish controversies, genealogies, dissensions, and quarrels about the law, for they are unprofitable and worthless. As for a person who stirs up division, after warning him once and then twice, have nothing more to do with him, knowing that such a person is warped and sinful; he is self-condemned.

2 Thessalonians 3:14
If anyone does not obey what we say in this letter, take note of that person, and have nothing to do with him, that he may be ashamed.

2 Thessalonians 3:6
Now we command you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you keep away from any brother who is walking in idleness and not in accord with the tradition that you received from us.

Should I continue?

Posted by: chocolatetestimony ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 06:06PM

Posted by: cynthia ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 06:26PM

Outside the church doors.....say things that make people believe the church is compassionate and understanding with apostates. Behind closed doors.....remember these apostates are in Satan's power and avoid contact. The church is a master at doublespeak and double standards.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 06:32PM

Real people get shunned for fake reasons.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.