Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 03:18PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 03:22PM

Pretty much. The crazy thing is, I understood that it was all true back then. But I just rationalized or ignored the large majority of it.

Posted by: erictheex ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 03:28PM

I had a completely apostate trainer: stealing money, port, beard, coffee every morning and an obsession with the anti-mormon publication, the evangel.

He was stupid eonugh to pose for a pic w them, it ended on their front page later and he got into real trouble for that one.

I burned most of the literature he had, mostly exaggerated southen anti mormon stuff. For some reason a lot of it was little comic book strips. The facts were distorted and therefore dismissed by me.

This is the reason I dont like exxagerated favts to make the church look bad, there is notr need for that, they are nuts on their own.

I ended up breaking this missionary'd face in a fight, he got sent home and I got a thank you letter that xmas from my MP, for "handling things correctly".

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 05:55PM

I had one person tell me that if a woman failed to accept a husband that the church assigned her, she would be thrown off the top of the Salt Lake temple into the Great Salt Lake and left to drown.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 06:20PM

I heard that young girls were held captive and raped on the altars of the SL temple. We know this because one escaped by jumping out a window into the Great Salt Lake. I think that most of these outrageous anti stories probably came from members that were trying to convince would-be apostates that all anti material is just silly lies.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 06:05PM

Most of the "anti" material I was exposed to was the usual evangelical garbage using the Bible to bash the BofM, which was easily countered with our memorized reponses. A couple of times I heard about the wacky Brigham Young teachings, but I just dismissed it as more born-again bullshit.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 06:06PM

Gosh - Those GA's in the 1800's sure could throw a woman a long ways. It is a miracle any woman survived since they all would have been tossed off the temple.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 06:25PM

Most of the stuff my wife brought home back when I was TBM I mostly dismissed, but some was of it was just really poorly done. I remember the "God Makers" as one of them. The stuff written now is much more believable, well documented and presented.

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 06:30PM

I saw a lot of stuff of mormons as satanists, contradictions to the bible and such. Mostly religion vs religion claims where both sides are equally nutty. Jack Chick sort of stuff.

Not concrete attacks on history, translation issues, or pretty much ehat you find in the ces letter.

So I would say that the anti Mormon material I saw on my mission was false.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.